Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My Xanax big problem!!!

Hello. I  am new to this forum. I am from Romania (sorry for my englisch) an i am 49 years old. I started taking alprazolam (xanax) 15 years ago after some stressful events that culminated in the death of my mother, I was diagnosed with panic attacks and generalized anxiety. I started taking xanax 0.25 in the morning and 0.25 in the evening. In these years I have increased the dose and for about two years I have reached 1.5 g divided into 6 doses and in addition to the evening dose I also take 0.5 g of trazadone hydrochloride (tritico)

I had bad periods and better periods, but currently the good ones are more and more rare and shorter. The most disturbing symptoms that have appeared in recent years are restlessness, apathy, mental fog, blurred vision, almost constant dizziness, palpitations, tingling. Because of these conditions, I think I have the beginnings of depression.

Over time, I have had medical checks on the heart, thyroid, digestive system, basic medical tests, etc., where I have not found any problems.

In the last months, a sometimes unbearable tinnitus appeared. I see that it has improved in the last few days and the numbness has also disappeared, on the other hand, my legs feel cold even though they have a normal temperature, I have tingling in my feet and fingers as well as muscle pain, especially in my legs. And in the morning I wake up with numb fingers.

I went to the psychiatrist who keeps trying to convince me to start a treatment with duloxetine (but I hesitate to become addicted to another pill) and after I stabilize to try to get off the xanax. Unfortunately, I don't really trust him because he presented me with a very quick tapper  shedule and now I'm in a big dilemma. I have not tried other treatments with antidepressants.

You think that the symptoms are due to the fact that the xanax no longer has its effect, withdrawll or what? During the day I have better periods and worse periods, but the evening is the worst.

Do you think it would help me to start treatment with duloxetine or to increase the dose by 0.125 to see if I feel better?

Considering that the worst was two weeks ago and for a week I see that the tinnitus and dizziness have disappeared (but instead I have this feeling of coldness in my legs and muscle pain that gives me a state of terrible hypochondria ) should I wait to see if my condition improves and try to start a XANAX tapper program?

Thank you for any advice and explanations.

Hello @[Co...] and welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm so sorry you're experiencing intense symptoms - they sound like typical benzo withdrawal symptoms.  It will help us help you if you would please answer some more questions.

As I understand what you've written you have not started to taper off Xanax yet - is that correct?  Has there been any change in the total daily dose you take?  Do you consistently take your six doses in the same amounts at the same time each day? Has the Trazodone helped you with sleep?

We're glad you found us.  We'll do our best to help you find the best way to address your situation.

Brighterday

Thanks for the reply. No, I didn't start reducing the dose but I think that on January 3rd I took 0.125 in two extra nights because it was already 5 in the morning and I hadn't fallen asleep. Where does the problem come from?
I take the 6 doses regularly starting at 7 o'clock, 11, 14, 17, 21, 24. Trazadone helps me fall asleep a little. In general, I sleep for about 5 hours, wake up, smoke a cigarette and sleep for another hour. I also sleep at 2 pm for about an hour and a half. (I noticed that this sleep from 2 p.m. makes me dizzy more than it does me any good)

This morning I woke up with flu-like symptoms - blocked nose and sinuses, muscle pain - maybe it's the flu - I don't even know anymore - but I don't have an increase in body temperature.

6 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Thanks for the reply. No, I didn't start reducing the dose but I think that on January 3rd I took 0.125 in two extra nights because it was already 5 in the morning and I hadn't fallen asleep. Where does the problem come from?
I take the 6 doses regularly starting at 7 o'clock, 11, 14, 17, 21, 24. Trazadone helps me fall asleep a little. In general, I sleep for about 5 hours, wake up, smoke a cigarette and sleep for another hour. I also sleep at 2 pm for about an hour and a half. (I noticed that this sleep from 2 p.m. makes me dizzy more than it does me any good)

I don't think the symptoms you're having are caused by this two extra doses.  Did the two doses help alleviate your symptoms?  I have a few more questions that will help us know how to proceed.  When are your symptoms worse?  Do you feel relief from your symptoms when you take your doses?

When did you start taking trazodone?

Have you ever started and stopped a benzodiazepine before?

As far as naps - if you need to take a nap sometimes it's better to take a shorter nap (20 minutes for example) because as I understand it, longer naps can interfere with your sleep at night.  Or if you can rest without falling asleep at all that may be better.  We all have to find what works best for us as individuals.

6 hours ago, [[C...] said:

This morning I woke up with flu-like symptoms - blocked nose and sinuses, muscle pain - maybe it's the flu - I don't even know anymore - but I don't have an increase in body temperature.

It's hard sometimes to separate benzo withdrawal symptoms from other symptoms.  It's possible you have a flu or other virus causing these symptoms.  If you start having worrisome symptoms it would be best to check in with your doctor.  We're not able to give you medical advice, as you know.

yes, the two doses calmed me down more because it was 5 in the morning and I was able to fall asleep. As if in the evening the symptoms are worse, in the morning I manage to function so dizzy but I function.
When I take the doses, they work but very little, they only improve my symptoms very little, sometimes I take them out of fear and just to calm down in the hope that I won't get worse.
I have been taking Trazadone for two years. I started with 0.25 and a year ago I increased to 0.5.
I never stopped taking Xanax, but I had periods when I skipped a dose, felt good and forgot about it. I am a very anxious person, all the time if something happens I think of the worst and I can't stop my thoughts. also lately I feel very frustrated and nervous.

I forgot to mention, 2 years ago a psychiatrist tried to introduce me to lorazepam 0.5 but it didn't work, I didn't notice any improvement, even worse and after 6 months I gave up on it and replaced it with the two doses of xanax of 0.25 from 11 am and 5 pm. Here psychiatrists treat addiction to benzoadepines very superficially...they say stop taking them and that's it.

what do you think about tappering by  increasing the interval between doses by a certain time, for example half an hour every week? 

Hi @[Co...] - I understand about being an anxious person.  Like many of us here, that's what brought me to benzos in the first place.  

Many of our members over the years have tapered off Xanax.  It's not too late for you.  

1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

what do you think about tappering by  increasing the interval between doses by a certain time, for example half an hour every week? 

In my opinion this would not be the best approach for you.  What we typically suggest is reducing your total daily dose by no more than 5-10% every 14 days or longer depending on your symptoms.  This is the best way we know of to keep you withdrawal symptoms to a minimum so that you're able to continue functioning as well as possible throughout your taper.  Many of our members divide their daily dose into 4 equal doses.  As you probably know, Xanax has a short half life so dosing more frequently is a way to prevent interdose withdrawal.  I understand you are dosing 6 times a day.  Four doses a day would be more convenient and less disruptive but I wouldn't change that at this point.  

As far as dividing and reducing doses, some members are comfortable doing this by eyeing the dose.  Another approach is to use a jeweler's scale (about $30-40 on Amazon).  This can help you be a bit more precise in making reductions by weighing them.  We can help walk you through this.

This process of getting off benzos can be challenging but the information and support you find here can make all the difference in the world.  One suggestion I have is to be sure to read https://benzobuddies.org/forum/44-success-stories/ - they are very, very encouraging.  You will see that many others who have gone before you have finished tapering and withdrawal and gone on to recover. 

Please keep asking questions and let us know how we can help you!

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be back with some news. Actually nothing new. I have the same bad moods. tense muscles, insecurity of walking and I also had a few panic attacks and the anxiety is getting bigger and bigger (for this I was prescribed xanax). I went to three psychiatrists and explained my symptoms to them. Two recommended me to start treatment with cymbalta (I have never taken antidepressants - except 50 g trazadone (trittico) which helps me sleep 5 hours a night). The other doctor suggested I increase the dose of Xanax. I don't know what to do I'm doing it because it's already been almost two months that my stress hasn't stabilized. I tried to reduce the 0.125 of xanax, I got  panic attacks. On the other hand, if I don't take the xanax dose, I get headaches and tinnitus.
1. Do you think I am in tolerance? Withdrawal?
2. Do you think cymbalta would help me to stabilize and start reducing the Xanax?