Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Needing some encouragement

I’m currently holding at .25mg - 2months now - having a hard time stabilizing after using alcohol to help cope when I had the worst symptoms- hoping that didn’t cause my taper to blow up- I have learned now that I can’t do that and get better- it was more of a test for me , stupid! I know - in the past if I used alcohol and didn’t get set back - I kinda’ felt like I was at least healing a bit - however- it ‘s not helping me now like it used too and I’m terrified that I really messed something up too bad for repair?

No, not too bad to heal. Just remember no alcohol for the future if you feel this way. You will heal. Sorry it's such a difficult journey.

I don't believe you've affected your ability to heal.  Drinking may have caused a temporary uptick in your withdrawal symptoms. That has happened to a lot of us. Some of us have to learn hard lessons as we move forward post benzos.  Like you, I learned I needed to avoid alcohol completely while I was recovering from benzos.  I still avoid it almost entirely.  

Wouldn’t alcohol help if it’s a “liquid benzo?

why are people saying it makes them worse?

I do not drink but I have been thinking about trying a drink to help with this restless anxiety since I’m off alprazolam for four months now.

please clarify. Thanks 

Hi @[Kr...],

From my understanding, alcohol can attach to the same receptors in the brain that the benzo was attached to.  This prevents the receptors from starting or continuing the repair and healing process.  

Hope that makes sense. :)

• Like 1

You have not messed yourself up too bad to repair. I too have tried to put something else in that void where the benzos were (alcohol, herbal supplements that messed with the same receptors benzos did, OTC sleep aids) and also ended up temporarily making myself worse. Finally accepting that time is the greatest healer has put me on a better track. 

It seems so so so impossible at times to ride out the feelings and symptoms instead of treating them with something, anything, but no feelings or symptoms have killed me yet. I don't believe anyone is ever beyond repair.

I wish you luck and strength in your journey.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the buddies inputs:)

I’m very encouraged to keep going and avoid alcohol-