Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Coping skills

Hi! Okay. I am done. I just ruminate, panic and doom scroll. 

This behaviour is nothing out of ordinary because this level of suffering is way beyond what I can take. But you know how scrolling goes. You look for someone with similar symptoms, find people who had them for either a few months (which is shorter than you did so you panic), find some who had them for years (which makes you panic you are stuck like this for years on end) or you find someone who had them and suddenly stopped posting and you just keep wondering if they even made it. You find success stories too but all the rest makes you think you will never get better. I cannot keep on going like this but I am so used to it that it’s hard to stop.  

I need some coping skills. There are times where all I can do is lie down and breathe and just tell myself it will pass but how do you guys manage? Let’s say you are stuck at home, severe symptoms, suffering for months on end.

What do you tell yourself, what is your motivation? How do you kill time when symptoms are bad instead of horrific? How are you surviving this or how did you survive?

Please, share what works for you if you have/had rather severe issues lasting a long time. 

• Love 1

I know this doesn't help you right now when you're in a wave but what I do when I'm having windows and feeling better is I write to myself. I know what fears I have when I'm feeling really down and defeated. 

So in my better days I take my journal and I address all my fears and I write to myself that this is not forever, that today is actually a good day, that I'm feeling all these good things, that I've been able to do this and that and these are all signs of improvement. There's nothing more valuable to me than having  window me talk to wave me. 

You describe what a lot of us are doing day by day but I don't consider it doomscrolling, it is more about finding some reassurance by reading other's experience and quickly moving past anything too awful.

All I could do today was lie on the sofa, morning facing one way and afternoon facing the other for variety. In between crying with my head squeezing so badly I made myself laugh by saying I must be healing an awful lot today with this amount of pain !   Then it was back to crying.  Sleep, rest and more rest, the same as you would do with any other illness, applies to us as well. And try to forget about time completely, it is only a man-made concept in any case!

58 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I know this doesn't help you right now when you're in a wave but what I do when I'm having windows and feeling better is I write to myself. I know what fears I have when I'm feeling really down and defeated. 

So in my better days I take my journal and I address all my fears and I write to myself that this is not forever, that today is actually a good day, that I'm feeling all these good things, that I've been able to do this and that and these are all signs of improvement. There's nothing more valuable to me than having  window me talk to wave me. 

Thanks, if a window comes I will try that!

14 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

You describe what a lot of us are doing day by day but I don't consider it doomscrolling, it is more about finding some reassurance by reading other's experience and quickly moving past anything too awful.

All I could do today was lie on the sofa, morning facing one way and afternoon facing the other for variety. In between crying with my head squeezing so badly I made myself laugh by saying I must be healing an awful lot today with this amount of pain !   Then it was back to crying.  Sleep, rest and more rest, the same as you would do with any other illness, applies to us as well. And try to forget about time completely, it is only a man-made concept in any case!

Yeah I know, I also do that in search of hope but quite often I end up more scared.

Sorry for your day, mine was similar. I managed to cook dinner but felt awful when I was up and moving. I hope it is healing!

i know the pressure all too well, it’s been raging the last few weeks. When I sit or stand it gets so bad that it sort of spreads to my chest or stomach, what a mess. Lying down is the best choice for this. 

Edited by [Wi...]