Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Hear me out..

As I’ve been tapering off Klonopin for the last 6 months, the symptoms I’m feeling are the same familiar ones that caused me to seek help, Anxiety, cluster of symptoms, OCD, depression, panic, etc. I’m postulating here that perhaps many (not all) of the uncomfortable symptoms from withdraw is just the anxiety coming back. Hence, the physical symptoms. I was also a hypochondriac much of the time which made me think, it’s just my anxiety returning. I’m down to 1MG of K. Just a thought. I do think too much at times. Just an observation.

• Like 1

This is a question lots of us have had.  Is it withdrawal or the return of what I was dealing with that caused me to get on benzos.  I know you are not asking for suggestions, but I would continue on with your taper and see how it goes.  If symptoms wax and wane through the day, I would say there is a good chance those are withdrawal symptoms.  The symptoms that are worse in the morning and then better at night are probably symptoms from withdrawal.  Of course, your underlying problem will have not gone away.  You will have to learn how to handle that without benzos.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

As I’ve been tapering off Klonopin for the last 6 months, the symptoms I’m feeling are the same familiar ones that caused me to seek help, Anxiety, cluster of symptoms, OCD, depression, panic, etc. I’m postulating here that perhaps many (not all) of the uncomfortable symptoms from withdraw is just the anxiety coming back. Hence, the physical symptoms. I was also a hypochondriac much of the time which made me think, it’s just my anxiety returning. I’m down to 1MG of K. Just a thought. I do think too much at times. Just an observation.

Hopefully you’ll never get there, but the problem some face is they have start having anxiety that is incredibly elevated.  Like nothing they ever felt before.  More like sheer terror and panic and it’s why people develop temporary agoraphobia.  I don’t think many providers understand how exaggerated, and how chronic, that particularly symptom is.  

• Like 1

I understand. I have had a numerous horrible days whereas I was just faking it going through the motions. Anxiety is worse in the mornings. I do cycle 15-25 miles most days that helps with symptoms. I never seem to want to go but I just put my kit on lube the chain and start pedaling. I do understand what you are saying. I’ve had some days where I’m fearful to leave the house and/or very bad panic. Thank you for pointing this out to me 🙏

Edited by [Ri...]
Added additional information

2 hours ago, [[d...] said:

This is a question lots of us have had.  Is it withdrawal or the return of what I was dealing with that caused me to get on benzos.  I know you are not asking for suggestions, but I would continue on with your taper and see how it goes.  If symptoms wax and wane through the day, I would say there is a good chance those are withdrawal symptoms.  The symptoms that are worse in the morning and then better at night are probably symptoms from withdrawal.  Of course, your underlying problem will have not gone away.  You will have to learn how to handle that without benzos.  

RichGB, also, withdrawal heightens symptoms that you had before usually.  If you had anxiety before, health anxiety,  gad, those symptoms will be stronger. If u focus on them and let them scare u, you'll get hyperfocused and hypersensitive and spiral with your symptoms.  I know, I've done this, I do this. Try to keep busy, distract yourself, just don't focus on them. Keep going!  It's difficult but u can. If u get YouTube watch Emma with Therapy in a nutshell, watch trey Jones anxiety, he had health anxiety. Keep your hands and mind busy. Change your mindset. Practice gratitude and thankfulness. Sounds like you do this but When your in a window,  take advantage of that time and go to the store, shower, whatever you need to get done. Exposure is important with anxiety and it doesn't change in withdrawal, it's harder but you should still be doing everything you can to keep going! It's awesome you are riding your bike, please don't stop, that's awesome! 

In the waves. We can convince ourselves we can't go anymore. I have this wrong with me,  that wrong with but you know this is health anxiety. Try to remember that ok 

Ns

• Like 1

I have always been an anxious, paranoid, hypochondriac person. I took benzos for about 20 months.

The symptoms after tolerance, taper and being off are worse than anything I've ever experienced. It's like being in benzos opened a pandora box.

Edited by [La...]

6 hours ago, [[L...] said:

I have always been an anxious, paranoid, hypochondriac person. I took benzos for about 20 months.

The symptoms after tolerance, taper and being off are worse than anything I've ever experienced. It's like being in benzos opened a pandora box.

Lazarus, great name! 

I'm sorry for what your experiencing. Yes it does sometimes feel like you described. but withdrawal symptoms are really tough. We all get these feelings emotions which arent alway truthful. They are feelings but we focus on them and they get stronger. I think ive read many accounts of people here who feel.paranoid, high anxiety,  panic attacks,  tension, spasms, tightness, electrical storms etc. So please don't think its just you, your in withdrawal evrn at 20 months. I hsd symptoms for 3 yrs, was starting to get better, had some symptoms and went back on lorazapam like a dummy. So now im in a paradoxical reaction and tapering off of Lorazepam which is making me sick with every dose.Remember this, feelings and emotions are just that, feelings sonetimes lie, we get focused on our symptoms and they dig in, we  get anxious,  have a panic attack and this causes more symptoms to become heightened, this causes stress then our nervous system gets lit up. I make my symptoms grow and grow and add more stress to myself than the withdrawals themselves. Our brain is trying to find it's way to healing. So it's acting irratic, it's hard not to focus on this, but doing so only makes us more miserable. Withdrawal symptoms will be there, come and go but if we don't change our mind and focus we'll only suffer more.

Keep your hands and mind busy ok, change your mind, change your focus. Try to be positive,  I'm healing right, that's what we focus on. Do something good for yourself, have compassion on yourself and think about your life in the near future. 

You are healing!

Ns

21 hours ago, [[R...] said:

I understand. I have had a numerous horrible days whereas I was just faking it going through the motions. Anxiety is worse in the mornings. I do cycle 15-25 miles most days that helps with symptoms. I never seem to want to go but I just put my kit on lube the chain and start pedaling. I do understand what you are saying. I’ve had some days where I’m fearful to leave the house and/or very bad panic. Thank you for pointing this out to me 🙏

A fellow cyclist I see.  I haven’t been in 18 months due to physical limitations from this.  My return atop that iron horse will be a momentous occasion. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, [[n...] said:

RichGB, also, withdrawal heightens symptoms that you had before usually.  If you had anxiety before, health anxiety,  gad, those symptoms will be stronger. If u focus on them and let them scare u, you'll get hyperfocused and hypersensitive and spiral with your symptoms.  I know, I've done this, I do this. Try to keep busy, distract yourself, just don't focus on them. Keep going!  It's difficult but u can. If u get YouTube watch Emma with Therapy in a nutshell, watch trey Jones anxiety, he had health anxiety. Keep your hands and mind busy. Change your mindset. Practice gratitude and thankfulness. Sounds like you do this but When your in a window,  take advantage of that time and go to the store, shower, whatever you need to get done. Exposure is important with anxiety and it doesn't change in withdrawal, it's harder but you should still be doing everything you can to keep going! It's awesome you are riding your bike, please don't stop, that's awesome! 

In the waves. We can convince ourselves we can't go anymore. I have this wrong with me,  that wrong with but you know this is health anxiety. Try to remember that ok 

Ns

Thank you so much for the advice on handling this! Sincerely!

Rich