Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Detox or Rehab

I am a horror story so don’t let this scare you. I have been trying to taper for 5 years. It’s insane. I have so much fear. Right now I am non functional and have updosed back to 4mg from 1.5 to try to regain stability. It’s not happening. I think I need to go to rehab because the benzos have turned on me and make me sicker and sicker with each dose. I know it’s not recommended but I have to try and save my life. 

Bunnie:  You have to do what is best for you, but as you mentioned, rehab/detox is not recommended.  The main reason is that they don't understand benzo withdrawal and the danger of tapering too quickly.  The business model of a rehab is to get you "stabilized" as quickly as possible and then send you home.  They detox you, put you on some different meds and then release you.  This is not an ideal way to handle people withdrawing from benzos.

Rehab or detox isn’t going to help.  I went.  All they do is taper you off in 7-10 days using a long acting benzo like Librium or Valium.  The only comforting thing is you may have access to a medical professional of some sort in case things go sideways.

That detox can work for most people, as we here are the worst cases.  In my case, it was a terrible decision.  And the weird thing is I actually felt pretty good leaving the detox facility.  And then I started having major withdrawals about three days after leaving.  Because the half lives of benzos are so long, it can take a while for withdrawal to kick in. 

I don’t know what your symptoms are, but there are some more benign medications that could provide a little relief like propranolol for anxiety or hydroxizine for sleep.  Then there are bigger guns like some anticonvulsants or antidepressants (mirtazapine).  There are other options.  I would avoid Gabapentin or Lyrica if you can though. 

@[de...]

@[dj...]

thank you both. I really destabilized my taper badly and have been in horrific WD’s for 11 weeks holding and then updosing. I am in a horrible spot. I am non functional  and very very weepy, no sleep, in terror. My taper was completely fine down from 15mg. This has been really devastating for me. I would be going for 60 days. I am just not sure how to proceed being so destabilized. I am horrible tolerance WD. Every option seems scary. I have little kids that need their mom! I am just completely as a loss as to what to do and there is no help 😩

Hi Bunnie, I'm so sorry. I'm a mom and grandma and I can feel your heart for your children. I'm not sure what u take, what dose etc. Has anyone talked to you about switching to a different one? Like valium? Again not sure what you take now. I would post and ask fir help if that's an option for you. U can go to the top right corner and click to find staff. There you'll see several here that can help. I'm in a very bad way too, intake lorazepam and had a reaction to it and had to taper a drug that my body and brain hates! It makes me sick to take it but I have to taper.  It's miserable I know, we feel like we're not going to get out of this. But I do know that with distraction and changing your focus can help u. Idk if that's something you can do but it helps me. If you're in fear, this will heightened your sensitivity to your Symptoms and cause your nervous system to react. That's what happens to me when Symptoms get revved up. I fear the symptoms, become hypersensitive to them and my nervous system lites up,  causing more symptoms.

Today I reassured myself that I was safe, I'm uncomfortable but I'm ok, told myself to get in the shower and I'll be ok. It was a challenge but I got in and again reassured myself  I was safe and I'm proud of myself. When I finished, I told myself,  good job, celebrated the victory got dressed, dried my Hair and smiled. I noticed the hightened anxiety symptoms really latched on and my leg got so numb I could hardly move but again,  I reassured myself. 

If you'd like to talk about how you can do this to retrain your brain to help you get thru this, I'd be happy to help.

You can pm me if you'd like.

Either way, I hope u get in touch with the staff to discuss possible options for u ok

I'm sorry your going through this darn it, bless your heart, I know this is so hard and I know your really tired.

Get some rest Bunnie, 

Ns

@[ns...] thank you so much for your kind response. I take Valium. I was down to 1.5mg and had very bad destabilization. It’s been awful. I cannot get stable no matter what I do. I am hesitant to updose more and get trapped on a higher dose with these symptoms. I had a fully symptom free taper. It’s been awful. I think I am in tolerance Wd and nothing is working. I cannot keep on this way. I have been in basically acute WD for 11 weeks. I do not think it can much worse than how I feel. I am hoping going to rehab for 2 months will allow me to get off the last 4mg and begin to heal. 

3 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

@[ns...] thank you so much for your kind response. I take Valium. I was down to 1.5mg and had very bad destabilization. It’s been awful. I cannot get stable no matter what I do. I am hesitant to updose more and get trapped on a higher dose with these symptoms. I had a fully symptom free taper. It’s been awful. I think I am in tolerance Wd and nothing is working. I cannot keep on this way. I have been in basically acute WD for 11 weeks. I do not think it can much worse than how I feel. I am hoping going to rehab for 2 months will allow me to get off the last 4mg and begin to heal. 

Oh goodness I'm sorry. I too am in paradoxical reaction to lorazapam and any benzo. Can't switch just taper. You have to do what's best for u. If u do go, I hope you will think about what I said. Stay as positive as you can, remind yourself that you are safe, uncomfortable but safe,  breath, try not to focus on your symptoms, keep your hands and mind busy ok. Idk what kind of a rehab you are considering but I hope they are compassionate. I will pray for u and your family for the best outcome, that you come away with a brand new life full of happiness in your new life.

Take care, stay in touch ok

Get some rest

Ns

5 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

@[ns...] thank you so much 💖 I hope it all goes ok for you too. 

Bunnie, remember, 2 months to taper 4mg is a short period of time. Keep this in mind. But with your reaction I'm hoping you will be better off for it. I've thought about it myself but I'm just to sick to go do something like that without my hubby. I Need his help for special foods I can eat etc. He does everything. I wouldn't make it and I couldn't tolerate the new meds they would want me on. Hopefully you can stress to them that you just want help finishing your taper  with medical professionals close by. Bunnie, 4 mg of vsluim isn't a heck of alot right. That shouldn't be so bad, I was thinking lorazapam. 

Hopefully you'll do great,  I bet u will!

I hope all goes well for you.

Stay I'm touch 

Edited by [ns...]
Addition

It is hard to ever recommend or endorse the rehab/detox method when it comes to benzos. Their model is incredibly flawed and there's too much harm that is being caused.

Just a consideration here and I'm not sure where you live... but if you were paying cash, maybe take that money and put towards seeing Dr. Witt-Doerring if you're in the US?

I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles. Keeping you in our hearts.

17 hours ago, [[n...] said:

U can go to the top right corner and click to find staff. There you'll see several here that can help

Just a heads up to @[ns...] and others, the team/staff isn’t here to provide tapers, we aren’t experts, we keep the forum organized and help members when we can but some of us, me for example have no taper experience.  We have to rely on our Buddies for this, we’re a peer support community, we’re all here to help one another. 

5 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Just a heads up to @[ns...] and others, the team/staff isn’t here to provide tapers, we aren’t experts, we keep the forum organized and help members when we can but some of us, me for example have no taper experience.  We have to rely on our Buddies for this, we’re a peer support community, we’re all here to help one another. 

OK thanks for the heads up!