Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My dr’s comments about WD

Yesterday I phoned my doctor, because I had unremitting dizziness, he sent me to the ER for a brain scan, which was, of course, normal. The dizziness lasted the entire day. Today the dizziness is gone, but I have extreme weakness and bad mental symptoms. This is, absolutely the worst wave I have ever had in 7+ years. In fact, this is worse than acute. So many new symptoms and it’s just not stopping… I do believe I must be coming to the end of this because what I’m experiencing is so extreme and unrelenting. 
    I spoke with my doctor about withdrawal, and I was amazed that he knew about it. He called it benzodiazepine syndrome. He said to me ‘ you will get over it, but nerves regenerate at glacial speed’.  Just wanted to share that little bit of good news in context of all the frightening and awful news I have been posting about my own symptoms. Hope that remark helps somebody.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, [[g...] said:

Yesterday I phoned my doctor, because I had unremitting dizziness, he sent me to the ER for a brain scan, which was, of course, normal. The dizziness lasted the entire day. Today the dizziness is gone, but I have extreme weakness and bad mental symptoms. This is, absolutely the worst wave I have ever had in 7+ years. In fact, this is worse than acute. So many new symptoms and it’s just not stopping… I do believe I must be coming to the end of this because what I’m experiencing is so extreme and unrelenting. 
    I spoke with my doctor about withdrawal, and I was amazed that he knew about it. He called it benzodiazepine syndrome. He said to me ‘ you will get over it, but nerves regenerate at glacial speed’.  Just wanted to share that little bit of good news in context of all the frightening and awful news I have been posting about my own symptoms. Hope that remark helps somebody.

It’s so positive to read that your doctor was able to understand WD, benzodiazepine syndrome & just having someone validate this is hugely helpful. Hope you are doing OK. 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

It’s so positive to read that your doctor was able to understand WD, benzodiazepine syndrome & just having someone validate this is hugely helpful. Hope you are doing OK. 

I feel like you don’t even need a doc that is very knowledgeable about it.  If my doctor had said, “you know what, I don’t know a lot about this but I’m aware of it, so let me do some research,” that would have been enough.  They could have recommended some of the available online resources.  

Instead, the doctors I’ve seen acted like there was either something else wrong or it was all anxiety that needed treatment with other drugs.  And, also beware, there are some doctors who think they know a lot about this and they don’t.  They’ll follow a schedule to get you off of benzos in 6-12 weeks, which works for most people, but doesn’t work for some.  They know benzos are addictive and hard to get off, but they don’t quite understand the depth of the damage.  

• Like 2