Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

One Year Off

So, today marks my one-year anniversary off diazepam after a year-long taper, which came after spending months unknowingly in tolerance withdrawal. I'm not yet ready to write a success story ... though I have had some successes! But I still have some healing to go.

The biggest successes are that I graduated from a graduate program (that I was in during w/d and that was super rough), and I took several lengthy trips with few issues. Also, my abdomen is improving - it's just slow to heal and still bloated and distended a lot of the time). However, I had a serious setback from covid back in August (first time having it), and then a minor setback from the most recent booster (which I got to avoid getting covid again, as that was really brutal). 

I am mostly back in the world normally, but still dealing with some gut issues, head buzzing, and ear fullness. I am still tapering mirtazapine, down to .5mg. I don't ever crave benzos and the strongest thing I take these days is 1.5mg of melatonin. I have been completely sober for several years (though I never drank much to begin with).

I would like to think these last few sxs will resolve with time. Mostly I'm here to tell you to keep going! I was so so deeply ill and thought I would never recover but now I mostly have. It just takes time. We are changed by this. But in some ways, we are changed for the better. 

love you all,

Openroad

Edited by [op...]
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, [[W...] said:

So great to hear you are well and truly on the mend, @[op...]!

Congratulations on all your successes! It’s fantastic! 

Thank you always for the kind encouragement 💫💛

11 hours ago, [[o...] said:

So, today marks my one-year anniversary off diazepam after a year-long taper, which came after spending months unknowingly in tolerance withdrawal. I'm not yet ready to write a success story ... though I have had some successes! But I still have some healing to go.

The biggest successes are that I graduated from a graduate program (that I was in during w/d and that was super rough), and I took several lengthy trips with few issues. Also, my abdomen is improving - it's just slow to heal and still bloated and distended a lot of the time). However, I had a serious setback from covid back in August (first time having it), and then a minor setback from the most recent booster (which I got to avoid getting covid again, as that was really brutal). 

I am mostly back in the world normally, but still dealing with some gut issues, head buzzing, and ear fullness. I am still tapering mirtazapine, down to .5mg. I don't ever crave benzos and the strongest thing I take these days is 1.5mg of melatonin. I have been completely sober for several years (though I never drank much to begin with).

I would like to think these last few sxs will resolve with time. Mostly I'm here to tell you to keep going! I was so so deeply ill and thought I would never recover but now I mostly have. It just takes time. We are changed by this. But in some ways, we are changed for the better. 

love you all,

Openroad

@[op...], it sounds great! I think you are doing exactly the way it's supposed to work. My congratulations!) This is a kind of story i'd like and hope to write myself on passing a one year mark, which is to happen in a couple of months) And i'm also tapering mirt.

Good luck to you and a happy full recovery!)🌤️

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations, @[op...]! I am just starting my taper off Klonopin. Your success story is encouraging. How are you doing your taper off of Mirtazapine? DMLT? I will have taper that after I complete my K taper.

What sxs have you gotten from tapering Mirt if you don't mind me asking?  I've been tapering it and I'm down to 2.1mg.  It's very hard for me to tell what is from that and what's from my klonopin CT.

Thanks and congrats on your yr off & successes!!