Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Prescribing

I am not anti medication and for a lot of people it can really be beneficial. But I got very ill some years ago namely with sudden anxiety, insomnia and panic attacks due to trauma. 

I am piecing together my narrative and now see that what I was prescribed did not suit me & often made things very much worse. I was initially given diazepam to take 1-2 x 2mg several times per day. This caused a paradoxical reaction. I got worse. I didn’t understand 1-2 tablets regime - since a benzo is not a medication like pain relief where you decide to take more depending on pain levels. Then quite soon diazepam was changed to lorazepam without any explanation. I had interdose withdrawal (that I didn’t know about so didn’t recognise) but now see the pattern that developed. I was advised to take 3mg lorazepam (or 4mg) and guided to take as needed 1/2mg or 1mg throughout the day. Only now do I see how bad this prescribing was. I got far worse. Lorazepam was swopped back to diazepam. I don’t think this ever suited me. In addition z drug was given. 

Not only do we urgently need desprescribing pathways but prescribing that is a) appropriate for illness b) patient understands and is informed c) prescriber has knowledge of benzos which sadly they really don’t. 
I was clueless. It’s vital to be informed (which I absolutely wasn’t!), do homework, keep a record of what is taken and how it makes you feel. Most importantly, these meds accumulate and cause so many issues. 
I feel for everyone in this process. 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 2

I listened to the Angie Peacock interview with Mark Horowitz posted in "Benzos in the news" and on YT.  He is a British psychiatrist in the NHS and has written a de-prescribing manual via the Maudsley published in Spring. He is open and honest about all the various psych meds he has taken himself but he still seems a bit shaky. I dunno but he doesn't fill me with confidence. It is un-be-friggin-lievable that Horowitz needs to write this manual in this day and age, like we are nowhere forward since the 70's and 80's. He admits he doesn't really know, he said this many times.  I guess it shows we all need to take much more interest in any medication prescribed, not only benzos but anything and everything, as it appears it is not just the average doctor who knows nothing but also the highly trained Ph D. consultant psychiatrists who prescribe on a trial and error basis.

• Like 1

I know, me too. We all trusted our doctors back then, not any more....at least not the ones I've seen.Really do not want to condemn the whole lot of them!  I intend to ask for my medical records going back over 20 years or so, just to see exactly how much diazepam has been prescribed over the years. Sadly I don't have the energy to do it now though.

Not anti Dr there are good ones. Not sure trust though - those pills are coloured probably to distinguish from others but makes them look attractive! 
Part of my recovery is I think to see records, to try to make sense of things. 
In UK, Horatio Clare is prominent in making changes particularly approach to mental health treatment. 

Yes most pills are nice pastel shades. Can you imagine if they were dark purple or dark khaki green or bright red. Pharma do all they can to make them attractive.

• Like 1