Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Lexapro/Ativan Cold Turley

Hi everyone. New here. So I quit 10mg of lexapro (took for 6months after being switched from venlafaxine) cold turkey about 2months ago and dropped ativan(was on ativan for an as needed basis which turned into twice a day for 6months and then back down to once a day and then a quit) .5mg about 2 weeks ago. There was absolutely no tapering involved. Because I was thinking they were both low doses I could just stop them. I believe I was wrong. Because a few days after stopping lexapro, I started getting rebound anxiety and brain zaps. Then when I stopped the ativan, I started getting a bunch of heart palpitations, pvcs, shaking, sweating, ending up in the hospital thinking im dying etc. Does all this sound about right? All of my doctors say there's nothing wrong with me after numerous extensive testing. I need help.

Hello @[ia...],

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I am really sorry that you are having such a difficult time right now.  As you have unfortunately learned, these meds usually require tapering to discontinue.  Just as unfortunately, many doctors are not aware of this need or the ensuing withdrawal.  You'll find that many of the folks here were in the same boat you are and that there is excellent support and help here.  

I wanted to get your account going, but someone with more experience in this area will chime in soon to help you devise a plan.

We're glad you found us!

• Like 1

@[ia...], as I see it you have two choices, one is to continue your cold turkey of Ativan, and the other is to reinstate and do a slow taper, neither choice is good.

If you continue your cold turkey of Ativan, you’ll most likely suffer with symptoms for quite some time because recovery can take many months and often years.  If you reinstate and do a slow taper, you may (no guarantee) suffer less painful symptoms but there will still be recovery after you stop the drug which could last months and possibly years.

Your decision should be based on your level of functionality, are you able to carry out your daily activities? Can you continue this cold turkey with the understanding that what you’re experiencing is a normal part of this process, that this is what it takes to be rid of the drug?

If you decide to reinstate, would you have support from your doctor to supply you with the Ativan if you decide to go back on and taper?

I don’t know how much of a role the Lexepro is having on your current symptoms, but what you describe since stopping sound like benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms to me.  

I know I’ve painted a pretty bleak future but you can get past this, many of us have so I hope you’ll let us help you.

Thanks for the response. As I've stated before it was the lowest dose of ativan, and I'm definitely not willing to start taking it again. I'm willing to ride this wave until it's over. The symptoms thankfully have given up a bit so hopefully it will be for a long period of time. I'm willing to gain any help where I could get it. So thank you.

It stands to reason that it would be difficult to discern the benzo vs Lexapro symptoms. I would let the ability to be functional lead the way. Sounds like you've made your decision, nonetheless. Wishing you the best on this.

• Love 1

I want you to know I quit cold turkey and while my symptoms were intense in the beginning, I believe after the acute stage passed they were probably similar to those who had tapered.  I recovered in the typical time frame we see here, and didn’t experience protracted symptoms, we define protracted as still experiencing symptoms past 18 months.

I tell you this to reassure you that quitting cold turkey doesn’t mean you can’t recover so good for you for knowing what you wnat to do. 

I do want to tell you that our recovery isn’t linear, we think we’re getting better then get hit with symptoms, some will leave with others taking their place so if this happens, don’t be alarmed, it’s normal for this process. 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2024 at 09:59, [[P...] said:

I want you to know I quit cold turkey and while my symptoms were intense in the beginning, I believe after the acute stage passed they were probably similar to those who had tapered.  I recovered in the typical time frame we see here, and didn’t experience protracted symptoms, we define protracted as still experiencing symptoms past 18 months.

I tell you this to reassure you that quitting cold turkey doesn’t mean you can’t recover so good for you for knowing what you wnat to do. 

I do want to tell you that our recovery isn’t linear, we think we’re getting better then get hit with symptoms, some will leave with others taking their place so if this happens, don’t be alarmed, it’s normal for this process. 

I really hope so because all of this is giving me severe health anxiety and it's sort of turning me agoraphobia. I'm trying so hard.

1 hour ago, [[i...] said:

I really hope so because all of this is giving me severe health anxiety and it's sort of turning me agoraphobia. I'm trying so hard.

I struggled with agoraphobia for a little while too and focusing on our health issues is very common.  With everything so crazy we can't help but think something else is going on.  The benzodiazepine withdrawal community probably has more unnecessary testing done than any other group of people.  Our doctors can't believe what we're dealing with are symptoms and the fear this process causes keeps us looking for catastrophic reasons for what we're feeling. 

• 1 month later...
[Gi...]
On 30/01/2024 at 14:59, [[P...] said:

@[Pa...] May I ask if you can expand on your withdrawl symptoms please particularly the muscle ones if you had them? 

Thank you ❤️

[Pa...]
3 hours ago, [[G...] said:

@[Pa...] May I ask if you can expand on your withdrawl symptoms please particularly the muscle ones if you had them? 

Thank you ❤️

I didn't really suffer from muscle pain, my physical symptoms were just the standard, inner trembling, nausea, insomnia, dry eyes, mouth and skin.  As I look back, I think my mental symptoms were more intense. 

[Gi...]
On 22/03/2024 at 15:46, [[P...] said:

I didn't really suffer from muscle pain, my physical symptoms were just the standard, inner trembling, nausea, insomnia, dry eyes, mouth and skin.  As I look back, I think my mental symptoms were more intense. 

Thank you so much Pamster for responding ❤️