Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Phenibut rebound and possible kindling

Hi!  I would like to ask that is it possible to suffer almost a whole  week  from phenibut rebound? And if yes why? I dosed 3000mg on last  tuesday  and 400mg on wednesday. It was Phenibut FAA btw (sublingually).  After 2  days heavy rebound started. Bad bad anxiety for 3 days. Then it   subsided but until this day i feel like that coffein crash hits me much   harder. I decided to absolutely not use this suck anymore. A little bit   about myself: I went through a benzo cold turkey withdrawal(not  knowing  it was that) I went through tramadol wd( not knowing it was wd)  And also  phenibut withdrawal ( that was the point i understood that  this is not  some depression/anxiety from the nothing but my reckless  stupid drug  abuser head) From this point i kicked the f()ck benzos away  but sadly  rarely i still used phenibut at high dosages. (Not anymore  that too) Btw i  also am on 2.5 mg escitalopram (tapering off). What are  your thoughts  guys. I possible have kindled heavily until this moment? i did not feel any kind of anxiety after the caffein before these withdrawals.

Best of all!

Edited by [Pa...]

How long ago did you stop the benzo and the tramadol?  

Why do you suspect kindling, have you started and stopped benzo’s multiple times, do you also use alcohol? 

If you’re not stable, I’m not sure its wise to taper the Escitalopram at this time. 

Gladly its been a while since the last benzo and there is 0 chance i will took only a picogram again. My story is really non standard and sometimes amuses me how blind i was. Even if i knew about withdrawals when i first took benzos, i was sure that if i dont take it daily and only at nights i cannot be dependent. I also did not want to take it regularly but because lots of tramua and covid at these times i started eating benzos more and more.

September,2020-November,2021 erraticall benzodiazepin and Z-drug (ab)use  mainly (8out from 10 times)0.75-1.5mg alprazolam or 10-20mg zolpidem only at nights. Other times i took midazolam, nitrazepam, bromazepam, temazepam, clonazepam,cinazolam,... At these times there were periods when i took nothing( before a drug test i did not took benzos for 2 weeks) and i guess i withdrawed from it but with "only" lesser symptoms. My blood pressure spiked up to 150-170(although i am 26 and didnt have problems with that). I also had heavy cravings and  a little heightened anxiety, but nothing like the following terror. But i had 0 clue its because the benzo addiction. After i started taking less alprazolam because i always wanted to not hooked up i run into a heavy anxiety attack. Thats the time when the hell opened its gates. I scared out did not know what is happening(now i am wondering how couldnt i guess the benzo wd). I stopped the benzos and basically CT-d--> severe WD  January,28,2022 started taking 10mg escitalopram (Scippa in Hungary the same as Lexapro in the USA), because of course stupid doctors thought i had anxiety disorder(although i am anxious sometimes but an adrenalin junkie too and the so called anxious me was nothing compared to this terror). After basically half years i "healed" from benzo withdrawal more or less but i thought its because of the ssri and because of the mindset. After a bad breakup from  Juny,2022 -July,2022 i took 300mg tramadol almost daily, CT-t after that and suffered a week with heavy wd-s. That was the time i first thought about that i am withdrawing, but because i also tapered off the lexapro i thought depression and anxiety is coming back because of the ssri taper. At these times i also took benzos and phenibut sometimes. I dont like alcohol but i drank that too. When i started tapering off lexapro again i tried to counteract the withdrawal from it with phenibut. Needless to say i f()cked up and ran into phenibut withdrawal. This was the time when i realised what i have done for the previous 2 years and that these are heavy withdrawals, but i had to go back to 10mg lexapro. After that i kicked away benzos totally(lets say from a year ago), but still used phenibut 2 times in a month. Of course i tapered off lexapo with much less problems and of course it was not the ssri which helped me with the """"anxiety""""" but at tbis time i already messed up a lot of things. I sweared i wont take phenibut too.

Edited by [Pa...]

Thanks for providing your history, I can see kindling is a possibility with your situation.  This doesn’t mean you can’t recover, but it may mean your symptoms are more intense. 

I don’t have experience with phenibut, but its only been about a year since you stopped the benzo’s so I would imagine your central nervous system is still pretty sensitive.  It took me 14 months to recover after my cold turkey from Klonopin so I’m not surprised you’re still feeling pretty rough. 

I hope you can stay away from any more medications or substances that can affect your recovery, I started taking Ambien during mine and messed myself up pretty bad, it delayed my recovery and made me miserable. 

Thank you for your answer!

I wont take any benzo or phenibut thats for sure. The only stuff i am thinking about is kratom for my lexapro taper(from 2.5 to 0 but with extreme caution) and i am thinking that after that one or two DXM session could help to restore my GABAergic system faster maybe? I also took NAC which definitely helped in phenibut wd. I wish i knew that before.

I don’t have any experience with DXM, I wonder if the search function would reveal if any other members have tried it?

I would be cautious with Kratom, I tried it last year for my sciatica and it was wonderful, the only thing that could touch the pain but the side effects were awful.  It sounds like you have some experience if you’re already considering extreme caution.