Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

H2 blockers during taper

12 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Hi. Histidine is an amino acid that that plays a part in the creation of histamine.

Thank u for this, you've led me down a road to finding answers. I hope the info I'm sharing will lead all of us to better health!

Probiotics, supplements to combat glutamate. I hope I can take these. 

Hope u can too

1 hour ago, [[n...] said:

BurnTheShips, hi. Yes I'm confused too but I'm searching for answers. It's getting more difficult for me to eat! Just the eggs for breakfast are causing me more symptoms. After breakfast om ok, a little jerky and tingly, anxiety. Them I take my dose at 11am, it begins. Allergies, spasms, jumpy stomach, numb tongue,mouth throat. Throat closing. Stinging in my face, head, body.  Everyday it's the same. It goes on for 5 hrs. Went to er yesterday afternoon it was so bad. Not a good choice for my symptoms.  But I got a gi referral. Last night Tall Girl talked about glutamate.  Eggs are full of glutamate! Please do as much research on histamine connection to glutamate, foods and supplements that combat these. Add it here and we'll see if we can figure this out.

The pepcid stirred up the natural histamine in my body which is WHT I went to er. They didn't know much about histamine.

Hang in there, hopefully we can find some answers between many of us suffering from this. Its thr benzos basically and how they reduce gaba, but which if I understand this, this gives glutamate free rein to enhance histamine. Idk but I'm researching. 

I've added a i

Link on this feed for supplements to combat glutamate. I sure hope it helps!

29 Effective Ways to Reduce Excess Glutamate in the Brain — Optimal Living Dynamics
https://www.optimallivingdynamics.com/blog/29-effective-ways-to-reduce-excess-glutamate-in-the-brain

Check out Choline and Acetylcholine as well....works with glutamate... it is all making sense now....I knew my inability to absorb so many vitamins and minerals were causing a lot of my symptoms.....was wondering if Benzos were the cause or if the withdrawals were worse due to the imbalance or to the fact that I have GI issues and can't eat....very scary stuff!  But finding a way to rebalance the vitamins and minerals impacted by Benzos may certainly help with the symptoms!!!  We will all be neuroscientists after this!!! It is still kinda eerie how many people with gut bacteria issues (who have never taken Benzos have the same symptoms). I am getting my neurotransmitters tested later this week, to confirm the imbalance and suggestions to rebalance.  According to my tests, all of my neurotransmitters are out of  whack! This is scary stuff!

1 hour ago, [[n...] said:

Hi Tall Girl, yes I'm starting to understand. Still not completely. I've been searching for a weight gainer and found these. I've added this for u and anyone else to chime in. Also found a link which gives u a list of supplements we need to balance histamine. 

In my diet I am adding too much glutamate without knowing it.

Trying to figure out what supplements to take with my diet. The weight gainers have so many amino acids in them, I can't tell what's bad or good.  I think we may have found the answer in this information starting with you and your Info in glutamate which really woke me up! Now I understand why I'm having the symptoms om having. 

This link gives you the supplements for reducing glutamate;

29 Effective Ways to Reduce Excess Glutamate in the Brain — Optimal Living Dynamics
https://www.optimallivingdynamics.com/blog/29-effective-ways-to-reduce-excess-glutamate-in-the-brain

In the ingredients list of amino acids below, Tall Girl or Anyone, what's in this that increases histamine? Need nutrients  vit and supplements, need calories and fat. I have alkerhies and Histamine intolerance to foods but in these ingredients I think there is alot that will contribute to more histamine and glutamate.

Correct?

Thank u

Resized_20240129_100248.jpeg

20240129_100125.jpg

Can I ask what this is?  I am not absorbing: Valine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Arginine, Proline.....among many more not listed here.

27 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

Can I ask what this is?  I am not absorbing: Valine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Arginine, Proline.....among many more not listed here.

Not site why your not absorbing them either. I think it's because we are missing other nutrients and minerals, that's exactly what I'm looking into

38 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

Check out Choline and Acetylcholine as well....works with glutamate... it is all making sense now....I knew my inability to absorb so many vitamins and minerals were causing a lot of my symptoms.....was wondering if Benzos were the cause or if the withdrawals were worse due to the imbalance or to the fact that I have GI issues and can't eat....very scary stuff!  But finding a way to rebalance the vitamins and minerals impacted by Benzos may certainly help with the symptoms!!!  We will all be neuroscientists after this!!! It is still kinda eerie how many people with gut bacteria issues (who have never taken Benzos have the same symptoms). I am getting my neurotransmitters tested later this week, to confirm the imbalance and suggestions to rebalance.  According to my tests, all of my neurotransmitters are out of  whack! This is scary stuff!

Wow, that's good Darlene. Thus is exactly what om talking about. See the link on supplements to combat glutamate I think that's the one.

7 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Wow, that's good Darlene. Thus is exactly what om talking about. See the link on supplements to combat glutamate I think that's the one.

Your touching on a lot of the same issues as I'm having. But it started before benzo. I think benzo made it worse is why. Just have to get off of them. I'm still not stabilized to cut again.  Hubby wants me off of them, me too! I don't see how I can heal.with them in my body. Everyday  I suffer at 11am to 5, so exhausted from it. It's waring me down. But I'll keep.going til I can't go no more. Focusing on other things like finding answers. Gonna try some cheerios today, no sugar. Gluten free pancakes with gluten free wheat, no sugar. I guess applesauce for topping lol

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections

I used to teach special Ed to little kids. I noticed at some time during withdrawal that I felt "autistic." Just like my students I was super stimulated by loud noises, bright lights, and crowds. I wanted to SCREAM...just like the kids in my class did! I googled "autism" and my symptoms, and I found DR. KATHERINE REID, PHD, who healed her 5 year old daughter of autism by reducing GLUTAMATE from her diet. Dr. Reid's Foundation, "Unblind My Mind," is a powerful resource for dealing with glutamate.

The above-mentioned article is excellent! HOWEVER, we who are Benzo damaged must tread carefully thru all sources of information. Certain substances should NEVER be consumed by any living creature! Like soy sauce and parmesan cheese. They are almost pure glutamate. Foods listed in the article, like mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and walnuts are all high in glutamate. Avocados, bananas, and citrus fruits are loaded with histamine. Dr. Reid advocates an elimination diet (which we Benzo Buddies are all familiar with!) She also encourages eating whole foods. So, tomatoes sauce, which is processed is likely to cause glutamate symptoms, whereas fresh, organic tomatoes will be no problem (for most!) 

Learning about GLUTAMATE from Katie Reid was a life-saving experience for me. It opened a way for me to continue to taper, and offered help for confronting pitfalls.

• Like 1

My understanding is that benzos work on H1 and H3 histamine receptors mostly. There are some studies about certain antihistamines that block these. I will look into this some more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

I used to teach special Ed to little kids. I noticed at some time during withdrawal that I felt "autistic." Just like my students I was super stimulated by loud noises, bright lights, and crowds. I wanted to SCREAM...just like the kids in my class did! I googled "autism" and my symptoms, and I found DR. KATHERINE REID, PHD, who healed her 5 year old daughter of autism by reducing GLUTAMATE from her diet. Dr. Reid's Foundation, "Unblind My Mind," is a powerful resource for dealing with glutamate.

The above-mentioned article is excellent! HOWEVER, we who are Benzo damaged must tread carefully thru all sources of information. Certain substances should NEVER be consumed by any living creature! Like soy sauce and parmesan cheese. They are almost pure glutamate. Foods listed in the article, like mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and walnuts are all high in glutamate. Avocados, bananas, and citrus fruits are loaded with histamine. Dr. Reid advocates an elimination diet (which we Benzo Buddies are all familiar with!) She also encourages eating whole foods. So, tomatoes sauce, which is processed is likely to cause glutamate symptoms, whereas fresh, organic tomatoes will be no problem (for most!) 

Learning about GLUTAMATE from Katie Reid was a life-saving experience for me. It opened a way for me to continue to taper, and offered help for confronting pitfalls.

Tall Girl,  this is so interesting! As I'm reading your comment I'm seeing g foods I can no.longer eat along with many other foods now. Just 4 months ago I could eat French bread and spaghetti, deli turkey, and so many other foods. I didn't have any issues with walking or standing.  Now my belly is in spasms, to a point that It's difficult to sit up straight, especially after eating breakfast. But it's still difficult all day. Eggs ate high in glutamate. 

The weight gainers I  posted was to see if anyone has experience with these amino acids that could determine whether or not these amino acids help offset each other and provide benefits for histamine intolerance. Or maybe just some if them. The link to combat glutamate gives many supplements etc but one doesn't know if they have enough if those or it may be high in they're diet.im going to get sine tests done to determine what om deficient in or may have too much of. I believe my issues are malabsortion. So everything i eat o think is accumulating and affecting my Braun adversely. I'm grateful i have an appointment on Wednesday, also have a referral to gastroenterology. I realize benzos withdrawl is really difficult but I also believe histamine is a big part of the problem as it relates to glutamate as you indicate here.

Thank u  for the information about autism and glutamate. 

Ns

1 minute ago, [[T...] said:

My understanding is that benzos work on H1 and H3 histamine receptors mostly. There are some studies about certain antihistamines that block these. I will look into this some more.

Geez,  I'm sure that's true. Oh how I wish I'd had never.  But I had sine histamine issues before Benzo and health issues as well,  probably related to histamine and glutamate. Maybe the benzos actually helped me figure out my health problems after all these yrs. Go figure!

Thank u Tall Girl, looking forward to what you find out next!

Ns

2 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Tall Girl,  this is so interesting! As I'm reading your comment I'm seeing g foods I can no.longer eat along with many other foods now. Just 4 months ago I could eat French bread and spaghetti, deli turkey, and so many other foods. I didn't have any issues with walking or standing.  Now my belly is in spasms, to a point that It's difficult to sit up straight, especially after eating breakfast. But it's still difficult all day. Eggs ate high in glutamate. 

The weight gainers I  posted was to see if anyone has experience with these amino acids that could determine whether or not these amino acids help offset each other and provide benefits for histamine intolerance. Or maybe just some if them. The link to combat glutamate gives many supplements etc but one doesn't know if they have enough if those or it may be high in they're diet.im going to get sine tests done to determine what om deficient in or may have too much of. I believe my issues are malabsortion. So everything i eat o think is accumulating and affecting my Braun adversely. I'm grateful i have an appointment on Wednesday, also have a referral to gastroenterology. I realize benzos withdrawl is really difficult but I also believe histamine is a big part of the problem as it relates to glutamate as you indicate here.

Ns

Everyone is so unique. Yes, eggs are high in glutamate, but I got some of my own chickens, and determined to feed them only the purest food, and to treat them exceedingly well, and their eggs were delicious, nutritious, and did not trigger me in any way. So, we all have very unique and individual responses. I'm not saying in any way that people should do what I did, but I don't eat meat, and I found it really hard to live without eggs!

16 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

ust like my students I was super stimulated by loud noises, bright lights, and crowds.

Same...I thought well maybe I am autistic.

• Love 2

3 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

Same...I thought well maybe I am autistic.

Interesting uh? Yeah, glutamate! Time to eat as little of it as possible.  Don't know how to do that but gotta do it. And to take whatever supplements that combat it!

Feeling better?

Hubby?

Just now, [[n...] said:

Interesting uh? Yeah, glutamate! Time to eat as little of it as possible.  Don't know how to do that but gotta do it. And to take whatever supplements that combat it!

Feeling better?

Hubby?

I don't know if I am high or low in glutamate.  Very interesting how it works on hormones too!!!!  I don't think there's a part of the body not impacted by this!!!!  Such a shame....I also quite 2 other medications they put me on in the hospital before Christmas ....this is insane!

13 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

Everyone is so unique. Yes, eggs are high in glutamate, but I got some of my own chickens, and determined to feed them only the purest food, and to treat them exceedingly well, and their eggs were delicious, nutritious, and did not trigger me in any way. So, we all have very unique and individual responses. I'm not saying in any way that people should do what I did, but I don't eat meat, and I found it really hard to live without eggs!

Yes, idk how I'd live right now without eggs.  I guess people do but my diet is so limited. I don't do well with supplements so idk what to do except get off of benzo quickly as I can. I think wheat is starting to get to me now. That will not do. I hope a nutritionist knows what they're doing because this is getting so hard. I'm hungry, everything I eat is full of glutamate o think, have to be sure but I think so. I thought I was eating healthy enough but the list is getting shorter. 

Thank u for the tip, this is so incredibly helpful and important to so many here

Bless

Ns

2 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

I don't know if I am high or low in glutamate.  Very interesting how it works on hormones too!!!!  I don't think there's a part of the body not impacted by this!!!!  Such a shame....I also quite 2 other medications they put me on in the hospital before Christmas ....this is insane!

Darlene,  everything in my diet is high in it. I've nothing left to go to now. It's histamine and glutamate. Both feed each other. I hope the nutritionist can help me. I still haven't found one, going to have to let the doc do this stuff.

I'm getting to exhausted. 

My brain isn't clear enough to focus and think.

What's up.with hubby

17 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Yes, idk how I'd live right now without eggs.  I guess people do but my diet is so limited. I don't do well with supplements so idk what to do except get off of benzo quickly as I can. I think wheat is starting to get to me now. That will not do. I hope a nutritionist knows what they're doing because this is getting so hard. I'm hungry, everything I eat is full of glutamate o think, have to be sure but I think so. I thought I was eating healthy enough but the list is getting shorter. 

Thank u for the tip, this is so incredibly helpful and important to so many here

Bless

Ns

Tall Girl,  vit c d magnesium omega 3 fatty acid destroys glutamate. Omega 3s come in gelatin capsules so don't use those. But the others come in soft gels, there ok. You.just have to look for them in soft gels.

I hope this helps!

Ns

@[ns...] I have MCAS and long covid (LC). I completely lost my ability to eat from LC. And then starting to taper made it much worse. I lost 65 pounds. The thing that saved my life is BPC-157 Gained back 20 pounds.  This is a post specifically about BPC-157 and why I decided to use it to help me with my benzo taper. It's helping me a lot. Hope it might be helpful. If you also search on BPC-157, there are other posts, as well. 

• Like 1

Pepcid gave me a severe setback at 5yrs off benzos. Im in HELL FOR THE PAST 12MOS.

With akathesia. Agoraphobia. Fatigue. Completly bedridden. Unable to care for myself. do not take it.

Works on GABA -A currents in the brain

Just now, [[b...] said:

Pepcid gave me a severe setback at 5yrs off benzos. Im in HELL FOR THE PAST 12MOS.

With akathesia. Agoraphobia. Fatigue. Completly bedridden. Unable to care for myself. do not take it.

bwittters, thank u and I'm so so sorry to.hear this. Yes I'm learning more and more about this. Also how glutamate activates histamine. Im having some serious histamine intolerance and funding it difficult to eat! 

I sincerely hope you recover soon. I did take one and realized it had sucrose in it! I didn't respond well.

Thank u for the heads up, many will be glad you shared your story. Please get better soon!

Ns

55 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

Bwhittters, hi again,  I have a few questions if you're up to it.

What benzos were u on? 

How long were u on them?

How did your taper go, how long etc?

Were u on any other medication besides benzos?

I'm asking because there's some people who are having severe withdrawal including me and I'm trying to find as much information as possible so I don't end up sicker then I already am. Did u get any alternative help when you were in withdrawal,  like neurologist or functional medicine practitioners, nutritionist? We're all kind of trying to help each other as we go along. As u know it's a tough road We're on.

How dud pepcid complete hurt you so badly,  please tell me.

The er gave me pepcid In iv, told me to get some at a drug store. My husband bought the chewable ones, berry flavor. I took one and it gave me the poops so I stopped.  Then couple months later I saw the article on covid and how its being used to cure mast cell activation syndrome. I gave histamine issues and having food intolerances so I took one again, it was a mistake! Of course the sucralose is a sugar alcohol so it made me have miserable symptoms. It did nothing to help me.

I ended up in the er due to tachycardia and belly spasms.  I've had the spasms for sometime now and it's causing esophagus issues I think. So I had hoped it would help.

I'm really sorry you are suffering like this, you must be so miserable and I'm really sorry for your pain. I'm practically bedridden myself except I push myself everyday to keep from staying down. My leg, hip and butt are numb, I'm jerking, my belly is in spasms making hard for me to walk or stand. So I sit here all Day on bb. My husband has to do everything! So I'm blessed there.

I feel as though my mobility is slipping away. I will myself to shower, I will myself to lay back in recliner to eat the only foods I can eat now. It's been a shock to the system for sure to go thru this after taking medication for anxiety but who knew.

I'll keep I in my prayers 

I'll watch for your response as I'm anxious to learn more

Take good care ok

I will definitely make sure that others hear your story and warning.

Ns

On 29/01/2024 at 13:54, [[n...] said:

Ns

Hi Tall girl, I've educated today lol on glutamate! I had no idea how it worked in our brain. There is new post here from bwittters about that pepcid complete. I hope you'll read it.

Just wanted to chat about this if you have a few minutes. 

Talk to u soon 

Thanks

Ns