Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is it really worth it.

[7c...]

[7c...]

People talking about having severe waves seven years out. i’ve been suffering for over a year and can’t hardly stand it just only going seven years like this is more than I can take. What were the other six years like?

Hello @[...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I expect that just everyone who has suffered withdrawal symptoms for a year or more (and this is probably the majority of longer-term members here) probably ask themselves the same question. But is it also the case that most of us do eventually recover (or mostly recover), given enough time. Although I cannot provide you with solid statistics, I would guess that the majority of those still suffering significant withdrawal symptoms at one-year out feel totally (or mostly) recovered before the two-year mark.

I do not know if the above is reassuring to you or not. But we also have to remember our (presumably) good reasons for wishing to quit in the first place.

Which benzodiazepine (or z-drug) did you take? For how long and at what dose? And how did you quit: gradually, by following a sensible withdrawal schedule; or did you quit very rapidly (or cold turkey)?

• Like 1

Most people recover within 2 years. Why assume you won't fall into the "most people" category? I think It is the pills talking, telling you a pack of lies.

As for people who take much longer there will be a whole list of factors slowing them down.  I don't know how long I will take either, its been almost 11 hard months but I will consider myself "most people" until the 2 years is up. 

• Like 2

I’d be surprised if the people 7 years out have been dealing with high acuity the whole time.  In a lot of cases, people can feel healed or close to healed for a while and then have a setback of sorts.  But, from what I’ve gathered the generally don’t last but a few weeks and then things return to normal.  

If you’ve been off for a year and try to reinstate, there is a good chance that reinstating will only make things worse.  I did that and it was a disaster.  I actually felt relief for a bit but things did not go back to how they were.  And I hit tolerance withdrawal after a few months which had never happened to me before.  The withdrawal symptoms were much, much worse the next go round. 

The other thing I’ve noticed is that for a lot of people who don’t seem to be getting better in the first year, there is often a big turn around somewhere in the 18-24 month mark.  I’ve been here for a while and have read a lot of stories.  Read one the other day where someone who had it really bad, even for this site, said that at the two year mark they were as bad as ever, but shortly thereafter they turned a corner and healing came quickly to the point they were healed at the 3 year mark.  Basically treading water at 5% for two years and within one year going the distance.  I know that’s discouraging but even 50% sounds a lot more manageable than where I am now.  

• Like 1

On 23/1/2024 at 7:15, [[S...] said:

¿Por qué no aumenta un poco la dosis? Fumo flores.

5 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Hola@[...]. Bienvenido a BenzoBuddies.

Supongo que todos los que han sufrido síntomas de abstinencia durante un año o más (y esta es probablemente la mayoría de los miembros a largo plazo aquí) probablemente se hagan la misma pregunta. Pero también es cierto que la mayoría de nosotros finalmente nos recuperamos (o nos recuperamos en su mayor parte), si se les da el tiempo suficiente. Aunque no puedo proporcionar estadísticas sólidas, supongo que la mayoría de aquellos que todavía sufren síntomas de abstinencia significativos al cabo de un año se sienten totalmente (o en su mayor parte) recuperados antes de los dos años.

No sé si lo anterior te tranquiliza o no. Pero también debemos recordar nuestras (presumiblemente) buenas razones para desear dejar de fumar en primer lugar.

¿Qué benzodiazepina (o fármaco z) tomó? ¿Por cuánto tiempo y en qué dosis? ¿Y cómo dejó de fumar?: gradualmente, siguiendo un cronograma de retiro sensato; ¿O lo dejó muy rápidamente (o de golpe)?

It's been almost 23 months and all the symptoms are gone except the insomnia, which goes on and on, it's torture.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

It's been almost 23 months and all the symptoms are gone except the insomnia, which goes on and on, it's torture.

I am so sorry. I am only 13 months out and suffering insomnia. Slept 7-8 hrs in total in last 3 days. It has been one of my hallmark symptom although I still do have other lingering symptoms too, inner vibration, muscle spams , sore legs , burning head etc. 
If you don’t mind me asking, what other symptoms have you had? 

Has insomnia been that bad for you since the beginning. Like you my sleep is getting worst than in earlier month. 

I wish you speedy recovery ❤️‍🩹 

Edited by [Sl...]
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Lo siento mucho. Sólo llevo 13 meses de baja y sufro de insomnio. Dormí entre 7 y 8 horas en total en los últimos 3 días. Ha sido uno de mis síntomas característicos, aunque todavía tengo otros síntomas persistentes, vibración interna, espasmos musculares, dolor de piernas, ardor en la cabeza, etc. 
Si no le importa que le pregunte, ¿qué otros síntomas ha tenido? 

¿El insomnio ha sido tan malo para ti desde el principio? Al igual que tú, mi sueño está empeorando que el mes anterior. 

Te deseo una pronta recuperación ❤️‍🩹 

Hello, I also suffered many symptoms, the muscle spasms and hypnotic jerks lasted a long time,Also sudden hot flashes and flu symptoms, but what affected me the most is insomnia.I had some "good" days, sleeping, waking up and sleeping again, in total about 4 hours, sometimes 5 or 6.But the 2-hour nights are back and these last few weeks they have been very frequent, sometimes even 0 hours.I hope that soon we can tell our success story, because when you get excited thinking that recovery is close there and then the setbacks return.This is like this, one step forward and three steps back. I also wish you that you can feel better soon.

• Like 2