Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

SSRi 3 years off?

I was put on ssri because my stupid doctors did not know it was benzo withdrawal and now i am still tapering (2.5mg escitalopram from 10) because it also has horrible withdrawal (luckily not nearly as long as benzos but bad enough). But on the other hand its effect was 0 i mean 0. Besides the side effects and the nasty withdrawal it is an absolute placebo sugar. I advise you to stay as far from SSRI/SNRIs as from benzos in the future. If you want to use some drugs there are plenty of other much safer and effective options.

Best of!

Panther

Edited by [Pa...]
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I was put on ssri because my stupid doctors did not know it was benzo withdrawal and now i am still tapering (2.5mg escitalopram from 10) because it also has horrible withdrawal (luckily not nearly as long as benzos but bad enough). But on the other hand its effect was 0 i mean 0. Besides the side effects and the nasty withdrawal it is an absolute placebo sugar. I advise you to stay as far from SSRI/SNRIs as from benzos in the future. If you want to use some drugs there are plenty of other much safer and effective options.

Best of!

Panther

Same for me! PA took me off lorazapam and I didn't know I was in withdrawal. She didn't know either. Went to every er in town, they didn't know I was in withdrawal. New PA, She didn't know I was in withdrawal and put me on zoloft! What a nightmare! Then every medication u can name. None helped me, all made me feel worse. For almost 3 yrs, I did not know what was wrong with me til an er doc gave a valuim. Then I knew maybe it was connected. Went to metal health they didn't know lol, really? Trued to say i eas bi polar! Went to another mental health they gave me Lorazapam, then I knew.

This is a perfect example of what's wrong with our health care system. New doctors, PAs, don't know yet, they haven't practicedong enough.

Be your own advocate!

I'm sorry for the rant, that really brought back a nightmare for me.

Everyone is different, you could try it for a week and see how u respond, sho knows. I've heard that many have problems with these meds. 3 yrs is awhile, but you have to make an informed decision.  Do your homework ok, 

I was in celexa for 20 yrs, I had no feelings. I tapered off by myself over a yr.

Now I have too many feelings,  go figure, lol as you cab see by my rant!

Take care of your mental health. It's good to ask, you may get some positive feedback. 

12 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Has anyone started an SSRi after being off benzos for 3 years or so?  How did it go?

I'm sorry about the rant. You know many people do well on ssri, for many they help for many they don't. I Really shouldn't have went on like that. Just because they didn't work well for me doesn't mean they won't work well for you.

When I saw the comment above, It triggered me and I should have taken a moment before responding and pushing send. 

Gotta do what's best for you ok

Take care 

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections