Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

benzos and acid reflux

I found out the hard way that benzos relax the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). This paves the way for acid reflux and in time gerd (gastroesophageal reflux disorder). This situation will often lead to the use of a proton pump inhibitor (ppi). In my case it was prilosec. Long term use of a ppi comes with numerous issues which often include calcium deficiency, b12 deficiency and many other issues associated with malabsorption. Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (sibo) may arise from the reduction in stomach acid. It is now being considered that extended use of a ppi may be associated with dementia. 

Edited by [fr...]

Hello @[fr...] yes the acid reflux issue is complicated. I already have past history of ulcers/reflux so embarking on benzos (as well as z drug) reactivated the acid problem. No cautionary warning given by any medics either! Further, ppi usage can cause other issues so it’s like a domino effect. Wasn’t aware of ppi dementia connection. When given benzo (and/or other meds) there seems always to be pros/cons. I am learning, albeit retrospectively, how I could have made better decisions. 

Edited by [Ka...]

I use acupressure points for this and nausea and much more. I wear sea-bands around my wrists to prevent nausea and the same trigger point are actually calming too.