Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Lost In Denver

Ok thanks for the feedback. I tend to agree.

One thing I don’t know if I mentioned, but my weekdays are generally very manageable and I almost feel as if I could cut the K significantly. I think this is because the kids are in school (I have a 2 and a 4 y/o), and I really enjoy my job. It’s typically the weekends that’s my stress and anxiety spike significantly. I think this is something common with most parents, but obviously during my taper I have to account for the high stress days. In other words, I’m trying not to let my weekday symptoms guide my plan. I’m trying my best to be present with my kids, but this age is a handful and a full on sprint. Probably the reason I started taking these stupid meds in the first place. 

Yes, the most important is to be functional. I would say you need to account for functionality during high stress times. It might also have something to do with your cutting routine? Usually for me symptoms would spike on day 5-7, so those would be the worst days and then by around day 10 it would level out again. When I did cut and hold I planned my cuts so my worst symptoms would be in less stressed times.

• Love 1

Hi all,

wanted to update the group and let you know I’ve been able to cut my dosage of K down to .25mg per day. I seem to be relatively functional, running a lot and managing anxiety. In terms of next steps, I’m planning to hold this dosage for a while but cutting seems to be harder given the pill size. Once I’m ready, would you recommend skipping the morning dose? Or cutting both doses down to say .125 2x per day?

1 hour ago, [[D...] said:

Hi all,

wanted to update the group and let you know I’ve been able to cut my dosage of K down to .25mg per day. I seem to be relatively functional, running a lot and managing anxiety. In terms of next steps, I’m planning to hold this dosage for a while but cutting seems to be harder given the pill size. Once I’m ready, would you recommend skipping the morning dose? Or cutting both doses down to say .125 2x per day?

What does your care team suggest?

They suggested cutting my morning dose all together, which is the current plan. I’m having a tough day and go through waves of disappointment that I can’t just cut all together, but feel really happy with the progress I’ve made this far. In 2 months, I’ve been able to go from 1mg per day during my worst, to now down to just half a pill and the finish line feels so close but so far. 

• Like 1

Hi @[je...], I reread your Jan, 23 post. That was really helpful. I have a question on your feelings during your final months of your cut down from .125. When you were at such a low dose, did you ever “feel” the effects of the medication? In other words, did you take 1/8 of a pill in the morning, and “feel” more relaxed? Or was it simply managing your withdrawal from reoccurring. I’m currently somewhat close to you at .25 mg, and taking such a tiny portion of the pill but definitely don’t “feel” the medication the way I would at say, taking a whole .5mg pill.

not sure if that question makes sense, just curious about your journey and experience towards the end of your taper. 

56 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

Hi @[je...], I reread your Jan, 23 post. That was really helpful

Can you link me to this post for context please? I see all my interactions with you start on Jan 25. 

I think it was from January 2023 where you outlined your story that was linked in another thread

7 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

I think it was from January 2023 where you outlined your story that was linked in another thread

Oh, it was probably the end of my taper. 

I have a question on your feelings during your final months of your cut down from .125. When you were at such a low dose, did you ever “feel” the effects of the medication? In other words, did you take 1/8 of a pill in the morning, and “feel” more relaxed?

I don't think I ever consciously felt the drug once I it was reduced below the starting dose of 2mg. I'm sure it must have done something but I never felt it working. I also only dosed once a day which was in the evening and then I went to bed and struggled severely with insomnia. 

I’m currently somewhat close to you at .25 mg,

I am off now, so I guess you're referring to being close to 0.125mg. I personally don't consider these doses to be close. It's a 50% difference and it took me about 6 months to get down from 0.25mg to 0.125mg. The lower numbers are particularly hard for most people to taper. I found I could taper at higher percentages when I was at higher doses but lower it was much more difficult. People tend to get mislead by the number and think it's low, so it doesn't have much of an effect. You might want to read this thread that discusses receptor occupancy:

• Like 1

That’s a really good point that those 2 amounts are not the same, and probably helpful for me to realize that. My cuts to date have been fairly large since Dec, 1mg, to .75mg, to .5, and now .25mg per day, but I think I need to slow that down over the next couple weeks close to the 10% recommendation. Thanks for the feedback.

@[De...]i know you want off, but please slow down. Very often wd effects are delayed with klonopin. I’d hate to see you get slammed. Err on the side of caution.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Totally hearing you and I really appreciate this groups empathy. That chart is very helpful to understand the cuts and how they need to be small and gradual. 

@[je...] If I am currently taking .125mg for each dose, I’ve measured that out to be about .04g per dose (one quarter pill). I’ve gone ahead and scheduled out my dosages in a pill container for the next 2 weeks to hold at that exact level. My plan is to then reduce this by 10%, which should be about .036g per pill during my next cut. Does that math sound about right? Apologies as I know you’ve probably outlined this on a ton of other threads.

Edited by [De...]

I'm afraid I don't understand. You said this:

On 04/02/2024 at 12:52, [[D...] said:

At the direction of my psych and therapist, I’ve decided to taper off my klonopin before ambien. Understand you suggested the opposite but I think given my feedback from my care team, I want to follow their plan.

8 hours ago, [[D...] said:

They suggested cutting my morning dose all together, which is the current plan.

image.png

Yes I’m sorry, I was referring to reducing the morning dose vesus cutting it. My care team suggested cutting the morning dose all together, but given all the feedback, I think that’s too quick and going to relay that back to them. My question was if I start reducing my morning dose. Sorry for the confusion. 

I also apologize that I’m going back and forth with the recommendations and suggestions. I’m honestly just really confused most of the time on how to do this. 

I also wanted to clarify an earlier point where I said I wanted to follow my care team. My psychiatrist is really good but he gives me fairly general advice/direction. I’m taking everything people say here seriously and am here to  learn. 

10 hours ago, [[D...] said:

I also apologize that I’m going back and forth with the recommendations and suggestions. I’m honestly just really confused most of the time on how to do this. 

I was a mess during tapering and could barely understand cuts and math. It very confusing trying to figure out what’s best between a care team’s advice and random strangers on a forum. This is not easy to navigate, so give yourself a pat on the back for just showing up for the process and your willingness to take in a huge task.

I think you’re doing quite well juggling all of this.

Sending you good vibes and positive thoughts.

The main question is how have your symptoms been? You were a short term user, if your symptoms have been mild, why overcomplicate things now?

I think my symptoms have been ok. I’m showing up at work, I’m not letting my stress show with my kids (mostly), and maintaining physical excercise. There was a week in December where I was almost non-functional. So I think all things being equal, I’m doing alright, despite the aggressive cuts. Im still reliant on ambien, so sleep symptoms I guess are bad, but manageable. I don’t think I’m able to fly across the country or do anything too stressful, but overall I’m doing ok. Not the same as I was 3 months ago, but doing alright. 

13 hours ago, [[D...] said:

No need to apologize @[De...], we're all different so it makes sense you're gathering all of the information you can in hopes you'll find the right way to do this for you.  I do want to caution you though, sometimes medical practitioners have been known to take offense when members mention being a part of an online community, we don't want to see you jeopardize your relationship with your team if they feel you're listening to the "internet" which many doctors caution against. 

I hope you continue to have very manageable symptoms and are able to stay as functional as you are. Pretty awesome 😎 

Thank you so much. While I don’t know you, positive affirmations honestly mean the world to me and can reshape my day. 

Hi guys. Me again. Talked with my psych and he’s aligned with cutting my morning dose at 5-10% stages. Thank you for the encouragement and wisdom. Also @[Pa...], I didn’t mention anything about internet. Thank you for that advice as well 🙂

• Like 1