Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help, pressure on the head

Hello friends, I have 19 months off, I stopped clonazepam in just 1 week, I took 6 mg of clonazepam for 3 years and 1 mg for the last year, 4 years lost. I am worried about the constant pressure at the back of my head. It is activated when unwanted paranoid thoughts appear. It happens to me at home and on the street. ¿What is the cause of this pressure at the back of my head? ¿To the same extreme anxiety? I hope someone has experienced this horrible sensation and can confirm that it goes away, because this physical symptom stresses me out so much.

Hello @[Lo...] - head pressure is a common benzo withdrawal symptom.  I had this too when I was going through withdrawal like many of the members here.  Same with extreme anxiety - this may be one of the most common withdrawal symptoms.  Intrusive thoughts are also a common withdrawal symptom -  they can have a paranoid quality and they're very disturbing.  It's important to remind yourself that withdrawal symptoms are temporary and for the great majority of us, they ease up over time and fade away.  It takes time - it varies from one person to another, longer for some and shorter for others.  

Things that may help you cope with your head pressure - massage, heating pads, gentle stretching, warm baths with Epsom salts, relaxation exercises.  In my case it faded away.  It made me miserable and worried while I had it but it did go away.

It can be helpful to see your symptoms listed.  The Ashton Manual Chapter 3  talks about common symptoms.  

Here's a link to coping techniques for dealing with rough symptoms: https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/page/coping-techniques-z

• Like 3

I have it quite a lot. Comes and goes. Can be very brutal and spread form my head/back of neck to my chest or stomach. Horrible sensation.

15 months off klon. 

Insane forehead pressure and pain for months. Also pain in back of head in the past, not so much lately.

Neck pain like an internal muscle/brain stem is pulling down. Agony. 

All worse if I just walk.

This sucks!

At nearly 11 months the head symptoms are my main problem. Similar to @[...]  It is disorientating with pulsing pressure and intense squeezing. Seems like this is all normal in recovery, though feels anything but normal!   

• Like 1

The same... Head pressure and not only head. But the head is the most unbearable. All kinds of pressure, squeezing, aches, pains and what not there, luckily not all the time. I also consider it to be normal, however tough it is. I try to ignore it, not always successfully. Somehow, it's supposed to be gone one bright day.

• Like 2

On 24/01/2024 at 18:19, [[L...] said:

Hello friends, I have 19 months off, I stopped clonazepam in just 1 week, I took 6 mg of clonazepam for 3 years and 1 mg for the last year, 4 years lost. I am worried about the constant pressure at the back of my head. It is activated when unwanted paranoid thoughts appear. It happens to me at home and on the street. ¿What is the cause of this pressure at the back of my head? ¿To the same extreme anxiety? I hope someone has experienced this horrible sensation and can confirm that it goes away, because this physical symptom stresses me out so much.

@[Lo...] The thing that helps me the most with head pressure is cold packs on my head.  I just lay down and move it around in different places letting it sit for a couple of minutes in each place.  This usually makes the head pressure ease up and most of the time go away for me.  I hope this helps.  :)

• Like 1

No, I wouldn't describe it as electric. Mostly pressure and pain in the forehead. Sometimes with like an itch. It feels like it's the sinuses, but I can breath through my nose fine. Just  post nasal drip.

The neck pain seams to be more of a tension thing.

• Like 1

@[Wi...] Mine feels like an electrical storm. It is supposedly because the ion channels have had their positive and negative charges messed about with so it makes sense. Think of electrical circuitry in the house and how they connect at terminals. Our brains are full of live wires trying to find a connection.

Mine feels like a steel band wrapped around my head and then tightened.  Came without warning and leaves for a bit,  only to return.  Now, things seem located in the middle of my forehead and in my sinuses.  I had a huge neurological work up, complete with brain scans during it's worst time- the result:  "sorry, there's nothing wrong with you as far as we can tell."  Ahhhhggg!

I have the pulling in my brain a lot. Today it’s very bad. It flares when I am upright.