Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Inner dose withdrawal?

What exactly is innner dose withdrawal.  I thought I knew. Having severe days since before I tapered. Things are worse everyday with taper and with each little dose. 

What are the symptoms of it? 

What to do? 

What to expect?

Im down to 3/4 mg per day split into 4 doses. 

At night after the initial anxiety from the dose I'm feeling pretty ok, not much sleep but not too bad.

5am dose causes anxiety, insomnia, no more sleep 

11am dose causes severe anxiety, panic attacks, whole body squeezing, spasms, stinging. If I'm late with my dose, I feel better. I haven't gone past 30 min during the day without taking it so not sure how I'll feel. 5pm dose, a little better after dinner for 3 hrs then it's bad til bedtime. 

I missed a 5am dose last month, I felt great until about 9 or 10am, then s hit the fan. It was brutal and never really eased up. I'm still having those symptoms a month later. I never stabilize, never.

Don't know what to do here. I don't remember having a good day. I do keep myself busy and distracted but it's getting more difficult. 

I thought I had a paradoxical reaction and had to taper but I don't know what it was/is Allergy?

I sneeze most times after i take my dose, my tongue mouth and lips get numb, I have sinus drain and my throat feels swollen. 

I'm now seemingly allergic to foods I've eaten for yrs. Had a few of these allergies in the past but now it's ridiculous as even my now my go to foods are causing me problems. My stomach nerves are bouncing making it hard to walk and stand. My bowels are in severe spasms. 

Given all of this,  I know i need this nightmare to stop. I need to go off of these pills but I'm so afrsid  i might have worse symptoms. But I think this stuff is making me sick!

What is inner dose withdrawal please?

Any advice please, I'm stuck. I'm miserable and I need help to figure this out!

Ns

It's actually called interdose withdrawal. It means you start experiencing withdrawal symptoms in-between doses. The drug wears off before the next dose and your body goes into withdrawal a couple of hours before the next dose. When you take the next dose the symptoms settle down for a while and then the cycle starts all over again. Usually it happens with the drugs with the short half-lives but it can happen with the others as well. 

Just now, [[j...] said:

It's actually called interdose withdrawal. It means you start experiencing withdrawal symptoms in-between doses. The drug wears off before the next dose and your body goes into withdrawal a couple of hours before the next dose. When you take the next dose the symptoms settle down for a while and then the cycle starts all over again. Usually it happens with the drugs with the short half-lives but it can happen with the others as well. 

Hi jelly baby, so it can't be that then. If I miss a dose and I would be cutting down to 1/2 mg. Is that too big a cut?

Just now, [[n...] said:

Hi jelly baby, so it can't be that then. If I miss a dose and I would be cutting down to 1/2 mg. Is that too big a cut?

And then I would cut out another dose until only 1/4mg remains at night

My first benzo experience was with oxazepam, a short-acting benzo. Kicks very hard, goes very fast. The interdose withdrawal I experienced from that was wild. Between doses I got this headache like I was having a brain tumor. Then they, a mental institution, put me on lorazepam, which works longer. The first 6 months were problematic, but it was surviving. The depression was growing very slowly, I wasn't having very strong withdrawal then. 

What is interdose withdrawal? It is the proverbial ball that is not longer supressed under water and shoots up between doses. Depression (as in crying spells, grief), anxiety, muscles tensing up, tension headaches. For me at least this was the case. 3 hours after ingesting the dose I am not sad anymore, I can just chill and watch a movie. All those terrible sensations, depression etc. is linked to the absence of the drug in between doses. It is like a rollercoaster with peaks of normality and very deep lows. 

When you have IW, tapering gets really difficult. It is at that moment that most users will swap to a longer working benzo. But that has its own problems. Not everyone can metabolize diazepam or its derrivatives. 

When tapering lorazepam most important is probably tot keep the doses equal, as much as possible. I totally went wrong with a small day dose and a large pm dose. Dosing 2 times a day instead of 3 or 4. Total horror. I'm still paying for it. But now crossing to diazepam, which is going slowly and is a painfull process. Besides the diazepam I am using the remaining lorazepam and the day I can toss that stuff out will be a highlight in my life, because it is still causing IW.

Edited by [Hu...]
adding txt
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, [[H...] said:

My first benzo experience was with oxazepam, a short-acting benzo. Kicks very hard, goes very fast. The interdose withdrawal I experienced from that was wild. Between doses I got this headache like I was having a brain tumor. Then they, a mental institution, put me on lorazepam, which works longer. The first 6 months were problematic, but it was surviving. The depression was growing very slowly, I wasn't having very strong withdrawal then. 

What is interdose withdrawal? It is the proverbial ball that is not longer supressed under water and shoots up between doses. Depression (as in crying spells, grief), anxiety, muscles tensing up, tension headaches. For me at least this was the case. 3 hours after ingesting the dose I am not sad anymore, I can just chill and watch a movie. All those terrible sensations, depression etc. is linked to the absence of the drug in between doses. It is like a rollercoaster with peaks of normality and very deep lows. 

When you have IW, tapering gets really difficult. It is at that moment that most users will swap to a longer working benzo. But that has its own problems. Not everyone can metabolize diazepam or its derrivatives. 

When tapering lorazepam most important is probably tot keep the doses equal, as much as possible. I totally went wrong with a small day dose and a large pm dose. Dosing 2 times a day instead of 3 or 4. Total horror. I'm still paying for it. But now crossing to diazepam, which is going slowly and is a painfull process. Besides the diazepam I am using the remaining lorazepam and the day I can toss that stuff out will be a highlight in my life, because it is still causing IW.

Thank hugodrax. Sorry your going thru it too! 

I don't have interdose withdrawal I guess, it's probably what I thought it was initially paradoxical reaction which is why I had to taper off. It could be an allergy to the meds as now I'm allergic to everything it seems. But either way each dose makes me miserable as it did before taper but the symptoms are mych worse. I never thought you could have withdrawal symptoms from your dose, so odd but really difficult. I'm down from 4mg per day to 3/4 mg split 4x per day. Are I saying that by missing a dose would cause harsher withdrawal or by having different doses was more difficult for u?

5 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

I'm down from 4mg per day to 3/4 mg split 4x per day. Are I saying that by missing a dose would cause harsher withdrawal or by having different doses was more difficult for u?

4mg or lorazepam? I saw you posting something about lorazepam.

The thing I did was taper lorazepam quite succesfull, but then some life events happened and I updosed. Probably should have switched to diazepam when I was at that low, .75 dose. But back then I was very new to the Ashton manual and my healthcare provider wasn't helping at all. I was stuck in the woods. In the end you have to do your research and tell them how you want to do it. Because they don't care and have very cruel and antiquated ways of getting patients off benzos

Edited by [Hu...]

2 hours ago, [[n...] said:

I don't have interdose withdrawal

Sounds like maybe tolerance then.  I experienced the same, taking it never made me feel better, only worse as I feel my body was rejecting it.  I never stuck to a time...listened to my body and took it when I felt panicky but it didn't help.  For me, I learned to ride the wave a little longer each time to trick my brain.  So sorry you are going through this.  My Psychiatrist was the first to recognize that I take a paradoxical effect to meds yet he doesn't believe that the meds were causing my issues, like most he doesn't believe in tolerance...saying 2 mg of Clonazepam isn't even a big dose.  Um Okkkaaayyyy.  

The allergies sound horrible.  I have constant ear pressure/ringing as well as post nasal drip but I do have a polyp on my paranasal cavity.  I am still not eating much and forgot to get Ensures so I know that is a big part of my problem.  Sending love and prayers across the miles.

@[ns...] I see you've received some good tapering advice on another thread.

8 hours ago, [[n...] said:

And then I would cut out another dose until only 1/4mg remains at night

• Like 1