Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Agatha Christie knew

First time for months I started listening to an audiobook which I thought might be easy and soothing and make a change. It was "Moving Finger" by Agatha Christie, published in 1943.

In the first few minutes were these lines which I found to be incredibly relevant to our situation. 

The doctor says to his patient:

“You’re going to recover completely” he said “Good air, quiet life, nothing to do. Eat, sleep and imitate the vegetable kingdom as far as possible. It’s going to be a long business..… a long, and if I may say so,  a wearisome business. When its a question of healing nerves and muscles, the brain must help the body. Any impatience, any fretting, will throw you back. And whatever you do, don’t will yourself to get well quickly. Anything of that kind and you’ll find yourself back in a nursing home. You’ve got to take life slowly and easily. The tempo is marked legato. Not only has your body got to recover but your nerves have been weakened under drugs for so long. That’s why I say go down to the country, take a house……go to the part of the country where you haven’t got any friends gadding about”

The patient thinks to himself:

“I had already thought of that. I can think of nothing more insufferable than members of one’s own gang dropping in full of sympathy and their own affairs. …..no, none of that for me. Dogs are wise, they crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more”

I was so impressed I had to write this section down and thought I would share it.  Made me laugh that they don't want any friends around ! I know its not the same as benzos, this fictional patient had crashed his fighter aircraft in the war, but recovery is the same and would take a long time. Cheered me up a bit anyway.

• Like 10
  • Love 3

@[WU...],

Thanks for sharing that!  Definitely the thing to do!

I never thought about it until now, but it seems like in every old movie or book, whenever a trauma happens, physical or emotional, they always but the person to bed for awhile.  Better than nowadays when the idiot in the movie "goes to investigate the weird sound in the basement"!

• Like 2

My other half’s terminology “a fit of the vapors” - which I think most fitting.
Jane Austen novels have someone in the rain, gets a fever so bed rest is needed & rest is the ultimate cure. 

Edited by [Ka...]
Terrible spelling
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

First time for months I started listening to an audiobook which I thought might be easy and soothing and make a change. It was "Moving Finger" by Agatha Christie, published in 1943.

In the first few minutes were these lines which I found to be incredibly relevant to our situation. 

“You’re going to recover completely” he said “Good air, quiet life, nothing to do. Eat, sleep and imitate the vegetable kingdom as far as possible. It’s going to be a long business..… a long, and if I may say so,  a wearisome business. When its a question of healing nerves and muscles, the brain must help the body. Any impatience, any fretting, will throw you back. And whatever you do, don’t will yourself to get well quickly. Anything of that kind and you’ll find yourself back in a nursing home. You’ve got to take life slowly and easily. The tempo is marked legato. Not only has your body got to recover but your nerves have been weakened under drugs for so long. That’s why I say go down to the country, take a house……go to the part of the country where you haven’t got any friends gadding about”

“I had already thought of that. I can think of nothing more insufferable than members of one’s own gang dropping in full of sympathy and their own affairs. …..no, none of that for me. Dogs are wise, they crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more”

I was so impressed I had to write this section down and thought I would share it.  Made me laugh that they don't want any friends around ! I know its not the same as benzos, this fictional patient had crashed his fighter aircraft in the war, but recovery is the same and would take a long time. Cheered me up a bit anyway.

You have helped me so much today, today has been awful and I started wondering if taking the full dose would be better and just live out my days on the benzo.  I love Agatha Christi but never heard of this book.  I will definitely look for it.

Seeing your post was pure lucky for me when I finally click on BB.  I was falling apart because of isolating myself so much, 2 weeks, longest ever.  I felt I was just giving up on life, but I knew I couldn't handle going out, around people.  I really can't tell you how much I appreciate your post, oregonlady :hug:PS to me this is all about benzo addiction/wd and healing ♥️♥️♥️

• Like 4

@[or...],

I'm sorry things have been so rough lately.  I love reading your posts; I always find them helpful and inspiring. 

Just FYI. ❤

Sending you hugs today.:hug:

• Like 1

Just now, [[B...] said:

@[or...],

I'm sorry things have been so rough lately.  I love reading your posts; I always find them helpful and inspiring. 

Just FYI. ❤

Sending you hugs today.:hug:

I hadn't thought of coming in today, but I'm so very glad I did, thank you for your kind words, I have people/friends here, not the gad about types, I cannot forget that, ♥️♥️♥️

• Like 1

My NS is so incredibly sensitized that I am unable to talk without it being set off.  Communication seems to be off the table.  My inclination is to fight it…to be ‘normal’.  To ‘fix’ myself.

I have to remain mute.  I read posts.  Rarely do I reply these days which is in great contrast to when I first joined.  This is where I am at…and, it feels ‘wrong’…like on some level I’m not carrying my weight socially…and, I use the term ‘socially’ VERY loosely seeing as I don’t leave my home.  I refer to this from an on-line perspective.

It’s so hard to accept these limitations without attaching judgement to them.  But, if my body is showing me it needs quiet and time to do what it’s doing, I can disagree all I like…it won’t change the fact that what I need is silence and peace and if I fight it, it will only be me who suffers.  This is not easy.  

• Like 3

@[Fa...],

No, this is not easy!  But listening to the boundaries that are bodies are giving us is, I think, very wise of you.  And don't worry, you don't have to reply to be part of this community.  We know you're here. :hug:

• Like 2

@[Bu...] "it seems like in every old movie or book, whenever a trauma happens, physical or emotional, they always but the person to bed for awhile"

Or they are sent to the countryside or somewhere by the sea to live quietly for months on end.  Call me old-fashioned but sounds like a good idea to me

• Like 2

Oh, my yes!  What I wouldn't give to be on a warm, secluded beach somewhere right now!

• Like 1

@[Fa...]"My NS is so incredibly sensitized that I am unable to talk without it being set off."

Absolutely, me too. I talk to myself quietly in case I overdo it !

• Like 3

@[WU...]  We live in a world where we are expected to heal within a quick timeframe.  If we take too long, we are judged as weak or milking it.  We get a few days for bereavement if we are lucky when a loved one passes.  Then, we are expected to get back to it…business as usual.  We fret as to how we will survive if we are laid up too long…unable to work.  It is an upside down world.  Priorities are skewed.  The human spirit is all but pushed aside.  This is the difference between then and now.  The difference between the 1940’s when the book was written and now.  

• Like 5

@[Fa...] Yes,  it is an upside down world.  Modern medicine is only concerned with the mechanical  body but it is the health of the spirit that determines the health of the body, it really is that way round.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, [[W...] said:

@[WU...], exactly to the point) i think i'll reread the book now, when i can read with my pleasure again) Never paid much attention to the piece. Thank you!)

You seem to be moving forward, at least a tiny bit, are you?

@[...] this was standard practice for most ailments back in the day. Basically take it easy and the body sorts itself out. Then soon after this period we see a whole plethora of drugs being developed and everything changed. Have they cured us of anything? I doubt it.

The full audio book is available for free on youtube.

Moving forward a tiny bit? ummm doesn't feel like it. Head squeezing more intensely than ever, but no longer afraid of the grocery delivery or the shower!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, [[W...] said:

@[...] this was standard practice for most ailments back in the day. Basically take it easy and the body sorts itself out. Then soon after this period we see a whole plethora of drugs being developed and everything changed. Have they cured us of anything? I doubt it.

The full audio book is available for free on youtube.

Moving forward a tiny bit? ummm doesn't feel like it. Head squeezing more intensely than ever, but no longer afraid of the grocery delivery or the shower!

@[WU...], thank you) Can't help smiling while reading some of your posts. It helps!)

I doubt it too. I do like the attitude to ailments of those days.

You are definitely making paces to success - grocery delivery and the shower are  more than enough for the time being)

Do wish you speedy recovery and in awe of your sharp mind)

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

Ah thanks @[...] and speedy recovery to you too, though as the old-fashioned doctor says, don't will yourself to get well quickly or you will be back in the nursing home!

53 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

Ah thanks @[...] and speedy recovery to you too, though as the old-fashioned doctor says, don't will yourself to get well quickly or you will be back in the nursing home!

@[WU...])))) I do agree.

Started listening. Interesting but remember who the murderer was(

Especially like the advice to imitate the vegetable kingdom as much as you can and the piece about sympathetic friends full of compassion and their own affairs... I can relate to both of them.

Edited by [...]

[0b...]
17 hours ago, [[F...] said:

@[WU...]  We live in a world where we are expected to heal within a quick timeframe.  If we take too long, we are judged as weak or milking it.  We get a few days for bereavement if we are lucky when a loved one passes.  Then, we are expected to get back to it…business as usual.  We fret as to how we will survive if we are laid up too long…unable to work.  It is an upside down world.  Priorities are skewed.  The human spirit is all but pushed aside.  This is the difference between then and now.  The difference between the 1940’s when the book was written and now.  

We take all of our cues (externally) from the world around us… always needing to force things forward in order to live up to playing the role expected of us, in order to gain approval and self worth through the eyes of others. 

Underneath the pain and suffering, this process really is one big long and gradual lesson (on steroids) in LETTING GO. 

“Any impatience, any fretting, will throw you back. And whatever you do, don’t will (force) yourself to get well quickly.” 

Edited by Guest

Wow, thank you so much for sharing this. Very insightful and fitting for our situation as well! 

• Like 1