Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need help please! Should I jump?

36 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Thank you @[je...] I’m using scissors and making a 25% cut per month so next month I’ll work on reducing my 9am dose down to 0.0125mg and then I’ll be on 0.0375mg 🎉

Sorry for the confusion @[Jo...]. I was replying to @[Wi...] asking me if I wanted to add anything to his suggestions. I haven't read your taper information in detail but you might just want to watch those % cuts as it is higher than we usually recommend. But well done for keeping at it. We all know how gruelling it can be.

• Like 1

[e4...]

You’re welcome @[Jo...]

i thought I’d have no trouble… and be off within months. It’s been nearly 2 years and no longer really counting.  

3 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Sorry for the confusion @[Jo...]. I was replying to @[Wi...] asking me if I wanted to add anything to his suggestions. I haven't read your taper information in detail but you might just want to watch those % cuts as it is higher than we usually recommend. But well done for keeping at it. We all know how gruelling it can be.

That’s ok @[je...] and yes so so gruelling and I’ll watch my cuts 😊

4 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

You’re welcome @[Jo...]

i thought I’d have no trouble… and be off within months. It’s been nearly 2 years and no longer really counting.  

How much are you on now @[Wi...] and are you on loraz as well?

[e4...]

Before tapering I was originally treated for gut related mast cell activation syndrome (unknowingly to doctors) with benzodiazepines. I began using both my mothers and my own prescribed Oxazepam. Unaware, I began experiencing severe interdose withdrawals and ended up with a home care team of doctors during Covid to avoid hospital risks… then prescribed lorazepam for a few weeks, then stopped abruptly by doctors which sent me into cold turkey which landed me in the psych ward and placed on clonazepam for another month until I felt much better. Then I decided (still unaware of benzo withdrawal) to abruptly stop the clonazepam c/t (although I still had access to the medication) and then went into acute withdrawal. Finally realised it wasn’t all MCAS symptoms and that I was in withdrawal. Went to a different doctor and explained what had happened and they immediately put me on 10mg Valium from which to taper from. Took time to stabilise while withdrawing from the clonazepam and acclimating to the Valium, but eventually did after about 3 months. Now down to about 3mg Valium tapering at 5% every 2 - 3 weeks. 👍

5 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

Before tapering I was originally treated for gut related mast cell activation syndrome (unknowingly to doctors) with benzodiazepines. I began using both my mothers and my own prescribed Oxazepam. Unaware, I began experiencing severe interdose withdrawals and ended up with a home care team of doctors during Covid to avoid hospital risks… then prescribed lorazepam for a few weeks, then stopped abruptly by doctors which sent me into cold turkey which landed me in the psych ward and placed on clonazepam for another month until I felt much better. Then I decided (still unaware of benzo withdrawal) to abruptly stop the clonazepam c/t (although I still had access to the medication) and then went into acute withdrawal. Finally realised it wasn’t all MCAS symptoms and that I was in withdrawal. Went to a different doctor and explained what had happened and they immediately put me on 10mg Valium from which to taper from. Took time to stabilise while withdrawing from the clonazepam and acclimating to the Valium, but eventually did after about 3 months. Now down to about 3mg Valium tapering at 5% every 2 - 3 weeks. 👍

Gosh these benzos really cause problems, sounds similar but not the same as my story, the drs could not work out what the hell was wrong with me till I realised and told them I was in withdrawals from me googling it.

3mg of Valium is probs less than what I’m on with loraz? 
Well done after all you’ve been through 🙌🏼

[e4...]

You may be able to go faster than me… just want you to be watchful and adjust if things become difficult. 👍

3 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

You may be able to go faster than me… just want you to be watchful and adjust if things become difficult. 👍

Yes I’ll be very watchful and will hold my dose if that happens, thank you and hope you have a nice day 😊

10 hours ago, [[W...] said:

This message is for @[Li...]

Lib,

@[ns...] is at 0.75mg lorazepam total daily split into 4 doses. She has just started weighing doses, but even where she is beginning weighing, those doses will start climbing above the desired 5% very soon. 

@[Jo...] is at 0.5mg total daily split into 3 doses and pretty much in the same boat if he uses scales. 

Both are obviously better off using scales than splitting and cutting these small amounts by eye, but I’m just hoping maybe you can (when you have time and/or feel up to it) provide any better taper options for them to maintain those smaller reduction percentages as they lower in dose?? 

Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Hello @[Wi...].  Good to see you on the forum!  

Given that 0.5mg lorazepam tablets are tiny in both size and pill weight, I wonder if @[ns...] and @[Jo...] have considered trialing a liquid formulation?  Options in the US for lorazepam liquids include:

• Manufacturer’s oral lorazepam solution (diluted)
  • Professionally compounded oral solution*
  • Professionally compounded oral suspension*
  • Do-it-yourself liquid made with regular tablets and a suspending vehicle
  • Do-it-yourself liquid made with regular tablets and water

*stability-tested formulations available

3 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Given that 0.5mg lorazepam tablets are tiny in both size and pill weight, I wonder if @[ns...] and @[Jo...] have considered trialing a liquid formulation?  Options in the US for lorazepam liquids include:

Might be interested in learning about water and tablets. Please tell me how I would do this, sounds like that could work. But I do have 1mg tablets. 

I'll look forward to hearing from you 

Thank you

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections

@[ns...] I neglected to mention that the options I identified upthread are listed in descending order from “more likely to yield accurate doses” to “less likely to yield accurate doses.”  Dispersing a lorazepam tablet in water is unlikely to yield accurate doses because (1) lorazepam is practically insoluble in water and (2) water is a poor suspending vehicle due to its low viscosity.  However, having said this, there are individuals who have been able to use this technique successfully to taper lorazepam.  Here is an example:

1 minute ago, [[L...] said:

@[ns...] I neglected to mention that the options I identified upthread are listed in descending order from “more likely to yield accurate doses” to “less likely to yield accurate doses.”  Dispersing a lorazepam tablet in water is unlikely to yield accurate doses because (1) lorazepam is practically insoluble in water and (2) water is a poor suspending vehicle due to its low viscosity.  However, having said this, there are individuals who have been able to use this technique successfully to taper lorazepam.  Here is an example:

Oh OK. I guess we'll watch it. I think my husband already saw this. Yes he did, couple months back. We might consider this but sounds like it could be a problem for me.

But thank u for taking the time to look into it.

Take care

Ns

[e4...]
12 hours ago, [[L...] said:

@[ns...] @[Jo...]

If you find that you need to try other options (such as those Libertas has provided above) to maintain smaller reductions as you lower in dose, I would suggest you take a screenshot of the above in case the thread is lost. If looking into the top 3 options, it would probably be best to go to a compounding pharmacy, tell the compounding pharmacist your current dose and the reduction percentage you wish to taper at and they should provide you with information (the correct option) to take to your doctor to be prescribed. Often doctors do not have any real understanding of tapering, beyond simply splitting pills in halves or quarters, and potentially may dismiss one’s request because they simply don’t trust prescribing what they don’t understand. Providing them with clear information directly from a pharmacist will most likely be very helpful. 

9 hours ago, [[W...] said:

@[ns...] @[Jo...]

If you find that you need to try other options (such as those Libertas has provided above) to maintain smaller reductions as you lower in dose, I would suggest you take a screenshot of the above in case the thread is lost. If looking into the top 3 options, it would probably be best to go to a compounding pharmacy, tell the compounding pharmacist your current dose and the reduction percentage you wish to taper at and they should provide you with information (the correct option) to take to your doctor to be prescribed. Often doctors do not have any real understanding of tapering, beyond simply splitting pills in halves or quarters, and potentially may dismiss one’s request because they simply don’t trust prescribing what they don’t understand. Providing them with clear information directly from a pharmacist will most likely be very helpful. 

Thank you @[Wi...] I’ve screenshot it and totally agree about dr’s not understanding tapering properly ☹️

Edited by [Jo...]

22 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Thank you @[Li...] for posting the video, I’ll be watching it and working out which way I will go. 
Really appreciate your help and info 

• Like 1

On 27/01/2024 at 14:10, [[W...] said:

Hi @[Wi...]

Ive really hit a bad patch 10 days after my reduction. 
Sweating all the time, tinnitus through the roof, got up last night to put cat out and everything was spinning, nearly fell over, nauseas, aching legs, sinus pressure.

Ive ordered a set it scales through Temu but I’m using scissors to cut my tablets till they come.

Really don’t want to go back up to .075mg, should I wait it out at 0.5mg for now.

Hope your all good 😊

Edited by [Jo...]

35 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Hi @[Wi...]

Ive really hit a bad patch 10 days after my reduction. 
Sweating all the time, tinnitus through the roof, got up last night to put cat out and everything was spinning, nearly fell over, nauseas, aching legs, sinus pressure.

Ive ordered a set it scales through Temu but I’m using scissors to cut my tablets till they come.

Really don’t want to go back up to .075mg, should I wait it out at 0.5mg for now.

Hope your all good 😊

Hi Jonty, I don't think Winters sun is around right now. Thus ns I was learning about the scale when u chimed in and Winters sun picked you up there. I'm sorry your having a hard time, I am too. I think I went  down further than I thought when I started using the scale. I was never steady in my cuts like u so weighing them is good but if u didn't have an exact weight before the scale you might have been st a higher dose  than u thought. I thought I was taking less than I was. So now it's been pretty rough or because the cuts add up, eventually it hits me. I hope u got a good scale.  This one is garbage! The Weight of the pill changes everytime I weigh it to be sure of the weight. It is easier than guessing for sure but it's also different. I'm not the person to give advice on tapering just saw your name and remembered you. And because your post sounds urgent. How much did u cut? I only cut a tiny 5% and wow it's added up I guess. 

Maybe that's what's going on. You mention sinus pressure. It seems everyone is having some kind of symptom that affects our head lately.  I know I have pressure and electric type stuff, my ears are screaming and I'm stinging all over.  The barometric pressure is low and seems that it could be affecting others here but we're not sure. I've always had issues with the BP but in withdrawal it's ramped up.

I hope someone chimes in to help u soon,

I'm sure they will. Try to be patient, maybe Winters sun will be back tomorrow.

Take care ok

3 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Hi Jonty, I don't think Winters sun is around right now. Thus ns I was learning about the scale when u chimed in and Winters sun picked you up there. I'm sorry your having a hard time, I am too. I think I went  down further than I thought when I started using the scale. I was never steady in my cuts like u so weighing them is good but if u didn't have an exact weight before the scale you might have been st a higher dose  than u thought. I thought I was taking less than I was. So now it's been pretty rough or because the cuts add up, eventually it hits me. I hope u got a good scale.  This one is garbage! The Weight of the pill changes everytime I weigh it to be sure of the weight. It is easier than guessing for sure but it's also different. I'm not the person to give advice on tapering just saw your name and remembered you. And because your post sounds urgent. How much did u cut? I only cut a tiny 5% and wow it's added up I guess. 

Maybe that's what's going on. You mention sinus pressure. It seems everyone is having some kind of symptom that affects our head lately.  I know I have pressure and electric type stuff, my ears are screaming and I'm stinging all over.  The barometric pressure is low and seems that it could be affecting others here but we're not sure. I've always had issues with the BP but in withdrawal it's ramped up.

Take care ok

My mistake Jonty, Winters sun was on an hour ago so maybe he is still.on

2 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Take care ok

Thanks for replying @[ns...]

I made a big cut 10 days ago, I was on 0.75mg and cut to 0.5mg, I dose 3 times per day.

The terrible vertigo has made me so anxious now.

10 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Thanks for replying @[ns...]

I made a big cut 10 days ago, I was on 0.75mg and cut to 0.5mg, I dose 3 times per day.

The terrible vertigo has made me so anxious now.

To clarify, you Said you cut to 0.5mg correct, that's a 25% cut right? I was going to that but was advised not to go so fast.

If that's correct you're probably miserable. But I am too with just a 5% cut. So, make sure to clarify thus ok, so that the ones who swing by will know exactly what's going on. They may suggest you updose but I can't be sure.

I'm sorry your going thru it, I know it's so hard. This benzo stuff is more than I bargained for that's for sure but we'll get through this ok

Try to rest,

Ns

17 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

To clarify, you Said you cut to 0.5mg correct, that's a 25% cut right? I was going to that but was advised not to go so fast.

If that's correct you're probably miserable. But I am too with just a 5% cut. So, make sure to clarify thus ok, so that the ones who swing by will know exactly what's going on. They may suggest you updose but I can't be sure.

I'm sorry your going thru it, I know it's so hard. This benzo stuff is more than I bargained for that's for sure but we'll get through this ok

Try to rest,

Ns

Yes a 25% cut, never again. 
I usually do it gradually over 1 month but I wanted to only use 1 tablet at a time of my 0.5mg tablets, so I could save using too many, what a mistake.

I feel like I’m back to the hell I was in with withdrawal when I first started tapering 

I’m resting in bed as I’m scared when I get up vertigo will hit me again.

Thank you for your help 

Edited by [Jo...]

4 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

I usually do it gradually over 1 month but I wanted to only use 1 tablet at a time of my 0.5mg tablets, so I could save using too many, what a mistake.

I feel like I’m back to the hell I was in with withdrawal when I first started tapering 

I’m resting in bed as I’m scared that when I get up vertigo will hit me again.

Thank you for your help 

On 03/02/2024 at 13:43, [[J...] said:

I’m resting in bed as I’m scared when I get up vertigo will hit me again.

Thank you for your help 

Quick update : woke up feeling a bit better today ( Sunday ) so I will be staying on this dose of 0.5mg for a while till I’m ready to cut again but very slowly. My scales should be coming this week so I’ll be able to do the cuts more accurately.

Still worried about my vertigo attack and why it happened in the middle of the night when I got up to put cat out, hoping it was a once off thing.

Take care x