Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Please watch - SIBO Might really be Key

Hi All,

Edit:  This Video Is Much Better - Love His thoughts on Anxiety and Depression and Root Causes:

Thank you for your responses and support on my other post.  My sister called and asked me about H-Pylori which I was treated for less than 2 years ago.  She then told me about SIBO - she had it and had to have to have 3 surgeries!  The symptoms are so much of what we are dealing with, and soI entered a forum online, to find out more. I found this video. It explains so much, even my mental turmoil.  Her diagnosis was caught accidentally as the Gastroentologist went a little further down than normal with the endoscope.  Symptoms of this are what we are all experiencing, including, for me an explanation for my mental torture!  I kid you not, when I was treated for H-Pylori I felt soooo good and did not even bother with Benzos, except for one here and there, but that only lasted 2 months and SIBO explains why.   Apparently H-Pylori is common with people who have SIBO as well.  I just wanted to share as it explains so many of my symptoms.  The spasms, headaches, sinus problems, pain, anemia, malnutrition, heart rate, blood pressure, the psychological/nerological symptoms, etc.  This guy gets into most of the symptoms but I read a lot more and compared symptoms with my sister.  It also explains my so called "Parodoxical" effect to medications.  I hope this helps at least one person!  I know my endoscope didn't go to the small intestine, and though I cringe at having another one, I am going to push for it.  As this guy says, a colonoscopy doesn't even pick it up.  (so I am gonna avoid that test :). Still praying for us all!  Hugs. (Please ignore spelling/grammar as I am typing in the dark).  

Edited by [Da...]

[2d...]

I have SIBO @[Da...]

I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago, but I’ve had it for anywhere up to 15 yrs. 

Have researched it intensely over the past 5 yrs, as well as co-factors… histamine, salicylate intolerance, and MCAS, which develop because of the way SIBO eventually causes Intestinal Permeability (leaky gut) allowing toxins to flood the body. All these can both increase/intensify or cause very similar symptoms to benzo withdrawal.  

6 hours ago, [[W...] said:

All these can both increase/intensify or cause very similar symptoms to benzo withdrawal.  

6 hours ago, [[W...] said:

In fact, it’s these issues that eventually landed me on benzodiazepines. 

I just added a better video to this thread...couldn't sleep last night due to pain and acid.......I now have an appointment with Naturopath Function Medicine to get tests for SIBO, other Gut Microbione Test, Hormones as well as Neurotransmitters.  Might cost me about 1500.00 CAD but insurance covers some.  Well worth it!   

7 hours ago, [[W...] said:

In fact, it’s these issues that eventually landed me on benzodiazepines. 

Me too...My issues were triggered during pregnancy and apparently pregnancy can trigger it!!!  Unfortunately that also mean I could have passed it to her!

[2d...]

Yes… it’s certainly well worth testing to gain a clearer picture of any potential co-factors. They’ll probably test for intestinal permeability as well. Let us know how it goes (results). 👍

7 hours ago, [[W...] said:

I have SIBO @[Da...]

I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago, but I’ve had it for anywhere up to 15 yrs. 

Have researched it intensely over the past 5 yrs, as well as co-factors… histamine, salicylate intolerance, and MCAS, which develop because of the way SIBO eventually causes Intestinal Permeability (leaky gut) allowing toxins to flood the body. All these can both increase/intensify or cause very similar symptoms to benzo withdrawal.  

Yes because it does return throughout life, if not constantly attend to bc so many things can cause it to flare up.....the second video, the guy says he cured his.  But the flare up are eerily similar to our waves.  I think it is worth looking into for sure.

1 minute ago, [[W...] said:

Yes… it’s certainly well worth testing to gain a clearer picture of any potential co-factors. They’ll probably test for intestinal permeability as well. Let us know how it goes (results). 👍

2 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

Absolutely!  All I know for sure is that when I was treated for H-Pylori, I did feel great...didn't use benzos for a couple of months (was on them for 20 years and had no symptoms of withdrawals.  But the h-pylori antibiotics likely triggered this condition, and I went downhill fast!!!!  So I finally feel a glimpse of hope!

[2d...]

For many people, it returns because they go back to their previous diet and lifestyle. If you know the list of culprits, including stress, then you can avoid it returning. 

Proton pump inhibitors (PPI’s) are one of the major causes. Doctors keep thinking that because someone presents with reflux, then they must have too much stomach acid, so they put them on a PPI. But, the truth is that most of those patients presenting with reflux actually have low stomach acid, which means that the PPI decreases the stomach acid even further and oral bacteria makes its way into the small intestine because stomach acid is too low to kill the bacteria and then the bacteria colonises in the small intestine (SIBO). The other issue that increases the potential for SIBO is slow motility which is why stress is also a factor. Stress lowers stomach acid and slows motility. They are just a couple of the major causes, of which there are many. Most people can tick off quite a few of the contributing factors, so it’s rarely ever one thing that causes it, but multiple. Lifestyle changes are necessary to avoid its return. 

Edited by Guest

[2d...]

It’s extremely common @[Da...], but may people go undiagnosed because doctors don’t have the knowledge or understanding… 

It’s when people finally find their way to a functional integrative medical practitioner that the puzzle finally comes together. 

But I wouldn’t pin all the symptoms on the Sibo. You may have also just reached the point where the benzo’s have started creating the very symptoms (and more) that they were originally prescribed to treat. But, the sibo can add to the symptoms. 

Edited by Guest

[2d...]

My own FIMP actually tested positive for SIBO whist treating me. She wondered how as a functional integrative medical practitioner she could possibly allow herself to develop SIBO. She was embarrassed about it and asked that I keep it quiet. 

1 hour ago, [[W...] said:

My own FIMP actually tested positive for SIBO whist treating me. She wondered how as a functional integrative medical practitioner she could possibly allow herself to develop SIBO. She was embarrassed about it and asked that I keep it quiet. 

lol it is easy to miss!!!  

whist treating me.

Do you know if yours is completely gone?  Apparently there are 3 different kinds and treatment for each is different.

where the benzo’s have started creating the very symptoms

I hear you, but I feel that the Benzos may have masked the pain....and now that I have stopped them the condition is more apparent...time will tell.   I am hopeful, but prepared for PAWS, though not looking forward to it lol :)

[2d...]

Hi @[Da...]

Congratulations on being benzo free!

I’m just about to try to get some sleep (Australia 3:30am), but I’ll definitely pick this back up and respond tomorrow. 👍

[2d...]

Mine isn’t gone @[Da...]

I haven’t been able to treat with antimicrobials because I was reacting to them. They were triggering mast cells and sending my system into extreme levels of fight or flight. 

I’ll make a decision to treat as soon as I feel my system is calm enough to tolerate the antimicrobials. 

Your symptoms could be a combination of SIBO+co-factors and PAWS. 

I'm jumping into the conversation about motility, and SIBO with some information on what I have done medically to address my GI issues.  

As a teen and adult, I took lots of antibiotics for cystic acne. I even took Accutane (not an antibiotic) 3 times, but it didn't work for me; it usually works for 'most' people with more severe acne. As an adult, I had many bacterial sinus infections for which I was given antibiotics. I started having IBS-like symptoms (constipation) about 15 years after all of the antibiotic use. My primary care doctor had already done fecal tests for salmonella, shigella, E.coli 0157, and campylobacter isolated, shiga toxins 1 and 2, ova and parasite, trichome- all were negative. 

This past March I went to the University of California San Diego Health Gastroenterology and Digestive Health/Gastrointestinal Motility doctors for IBS issues. I met with a gastroenterologist who specialized in motility issues (intestinal, gastric, esophageal, pelvic floor). I had the following blood/fecal tests done at their lab:

calprotein fecal, pancreatic elastase-fecal, GI pathogenic nucleic acid detection test, C.Difficile PCR, tissue transglutaminase antibody, IGA-blood

In addition, I had an ultrasound of my abdominal area. All of the blood/fecal tests came back negative. A breath test was ordered, but it took about 3 months to get an appointment. So, my GI motility doctor said that I could take a two week course of Rifaximin immediately to see if it worked and killed the small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (if I even had SIBO). That would be one way to test for SIBO. So I took Rifaximin. I had intestinal discomfort for several days as I went through a 'die-off' phase of the bacteria in my small intestine. 

After taking Rifaximin, I have not had a return of any SIBO symptoms. The IBS-C symptoms were really SIBO issues. I have gone almost 11 months without any symptoms. From what the GI MD told me, oftentimes only 2 weeks of Rifaximin are needed, but sometimes, 4 weeks of Rifaximin are needed. I would have liked to take the SIBO breath test,  but for me, I decided to try the Rifaximin route given how long it took to get in for a breath test (I tried all the health facilities I could find in my area). 

I do a colonoscopy every five years as I have a family history of colon cancer (my Dad in his 80's). I have not made any dietary changes, but follow a Mediterranean diet. 

I have complex PTSD from childhood and am currently titrating off klonopin after 16 years of use. I was once at 4 mg per day and then titrated a couple years ago down to 3 mg. This past 6 months, I have titrated from 3 mg to 1.5 mg and am continuing to taper slowly. 

I wanted to share my story and provide more information to the ongoing conversation. Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

I just became a member and this is one of the first posts I saw. Mind blown.

About a month ago I suddenly found it extremely difficult to eat and had bad pain in my upper stomach area and palpitations. My digestive system just expedited stuff through almost without digesting (not D, just...food). Doctors didn't find any infection. 

i developed muscle spasms and persistent full body chills, as well as  palpitations lasting hours, and extreme internal unrest. No answer. And then panic attacks. New to me and it took a couple of days before I actually recognised it as anxiety.

All those symptoms kept me 100% awake, being worst when I tried to relax or sleep. Hundreds of spasms that kept me from sleeping. Extreme sound sensitivity.

Since I was literally going mad from lack of sleep (about a week in) my doctor gave me Zolpidem/Ambien and then Zolpiclone. Finally some sleep! It wasn't that I had insomnia as such, but that the spasms and chills kept me awake, and the Zs relax the muscles (I know now).

Still having pain in the upper stomach and fighting so very hard to eat, I eventually researched that maybe I had reflux. Which I am pretty sure I have had low-level for decades, but without much symptoms other than acid hiccups if I ate onions or bread. 

So I asked my doctor if it was ok to try treating a if I had that. And asked which type would be best.  She recommended PPI....... 

Yesterday I was so groggy in the morning, and felt extremely depressed and just off. Off to google again.  PPIs increase the strength of benzos with 30-40% ! Doctor didn't know??

And they cause the stomach to eventually overproduce stomach acid, leaving you way worse off.

So, I have been taking the PPI for 4 days and I am just going to stop now. Getting myself some Gaviscon. Nothing is worth PPIs. So at least I narrowly, almost, have avoided that trap.

Maybe it is stomach ulcer. Still waiting for the test result. Could also be anxiety the whole thing, but for the first 2-3 days I had difficulty eating, I literally thought nothing of it. Just "Huh, that it odd. Ok, a little less appetite will help me lose a few kilos".

I feel I have gotten nowhere. Still stomach pain and difficult eating (and dreaming back to feeling hungry and having a sweet tooth).

And now I feel stuck on Zs, because of muscle spasms. And if not them, then the full body or whole lower body chills. 

But maybe the answer is SIBO. Maybe that is the key.  Mind blown. 

Hello @[...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

If are looking for some specific feedback, it might be best to start your own topic.

Thank you. I am not sure yet, I will read some more in the forum first.

Edit: Yes, I do have a question, though it is not benzo related: Will I experience rebound from stopping  the PPIs, when I have only taken them for 4 days? I should be able to just stop, right?...

Edited by [...]

• 1 month later...
[Al...]
On 25/01/2024 at 19:09, [[L...] said:

I'm jumping into the conversation about motility, and SIBO with some information on what I have done medically to address my GI issues.  

As a teen and adult, I took lots of antibiotics for cystic acne. I even took Accutane (not an antibiotic) 3 times, but it didn't work for me; it usually works for 'most' people with more severe acne. As an adult, I had many bacterial sinus infections for which I was given antibiotics. I started having IBS-like symptoms (constipation) about 15 years after all of the antibiotic use. My primary care doctor had already done fecal tests for salmonella, shigella, E.coli 0157, and campylobacter isolated, shiga toxins 1 and 2, ova and parasite, trichome- all were negative. 

This past March I went to the University of California San Diego Health Gastroenterology and Digestive Health/Gastrointestinal Motility doctors for IBS issues. I met with a gastroenterologist who specialized in motility issues (intestinal, gastric, esophageal, pelvic floor). I had the following blood/fecal tests done at their lab:

calprotein fecal, pancreatic elastase-fecal, GI pathogenic nucleic acid detection test, C.Difficile PCR, tissue transglutaminase antibody, IGA-blood

In addition, I had an ultrasound of my abdominal area. All of the blood/fecal tests came back negative. A breath test was ordered, but it took about 3 months to get an appointment. So, my GI motility doctor said that I could take a two week course of Rifaximin immediately to see if it worked and killed the small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (if I even had SIBO). That would be one way to test for SIBO. So I took Rifaximin. I had intestinal discomfort for several days as I went through a 'die-off' phase of the bacteria in my small intestine. 

After taking Rifaximin, I have not had a return of any SIBO symptoms. The IBS-C symptoms were really SIBO issues. I have gone almost 11 months without any symptoms. From what the GI MD told me, oftentimes only 2 weeks of Rifaximin are needed, but sometimes, 4 weeks of Rifaximin are needed. I would have liked to take the SIBO breath test,  but for me, I decided to try the Rifaximin route given how long it took to get in for a breath test (I tried all the health facilities I could find in my area). 

I do a colonoscopy every five years as I have a family history of colon cancer (my Dad in his 80's). I have not made any dietary changes, but follow a Mediterranean diet. 

I have complex PTSD from childhood and am currently titrating off klonopin after 16 years of use. I was once at 4 mg per day and then titrated a couple years ago down to 3 mg. This past 6 months, I have titrated from 3 mg to 1.5 mg and am continuing to taper slowly. 

I wanted to share my story and provide more information to the ongoing conversation. Hope this helps!

Lagoon

Was the Rifaximin compatable while taking  Benzos ? Did it cause any symptoms to get worse?

Thankd

ATU

[La...]

Rifaximin is an antibiotic that does its work in the small intestines. So the gastrointestinal issues did increase in the middle of the two weeks I took it, but that was because it was killing off the small intestinal bacteria. I never noticed anything in regard to my tapering. I would ask your psychiatrist or MD if you are concerned as I am not a doctor. I don’t react to taking any antibiotics- for example like taking an antibiotic for a sinus infection. But to be safe, ask. 

Best wishes!