Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Please HELP! Switching from .5 at night to .25 twice a day?

How would I make this switch?  I’ve been on .5 since November 27th after a rough taper from .5 to .25 and C/T off of .25.  Reinstated at .25 and then had to go to .5 Nov.  The entire ordeal was hell. Is hell.  Haven’t been back to work.  Still struggling.  Took .5 the other morning to see if it would help.  It made me extremely exhausted, labored breathing, but I felt somewhat clear headed.  Yesterday morning I took .25 and somewhat could tell a difference maybe.  Still taking the .5 at night of course.  I don’t want to updose but I feel like I need relief in the mornings to get through the day.  I don’t know how to go from .5 at night to .25 and keep blood serum levels even.  Sorry I can’t type this very clearly.  
Idk what I’m in for since I took the .5 the other day and then .25 yesterday.  I’m assuming that will add to symptoms (withdrawal)?  My doctor says I’m in mild psychosis from the ordeal.  So I don’t want to make things worse.  I just need to get through the day.  But want to maintain even levels of the drug in my system.  

I would like to add that I’m going through severe stress and upheaval right now.  Possible job loss, apartment loss, trying to figure out ins and doctor going forward, eating issues.  I just need help.  

thank you for your help… can’t believe I was able to type this. 

Edited by [Ch...]

Hello @[Ch...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

It seems that you have had a tough time of it - we will try to help you.

Which benzodiazepine do you take? The potency of benzodiazepines varies greatly, so this will affect the feedback you receive.

Why are you seeking to quit benzodiazepines? Unless there are pressing reasons to quit, I would generally suggest not making changes to benzodiazepine medication if you are going through upheaval.

How were you feeling before your taper off last year? When did you taper (and over what period) and how long were you off before reinstating. This probably does not matter much, but it helps to get a fuller picture.

On 23/01/2024 at 13:34, [[C...] said:

Hello @[Ch...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

It seems that you have had a tough time of it - we will try to help you.

Which benzodiazepine do you take? The potency of benzodiazepines varies greatly, so this will affect the feedback you receive.

Why are you seeking to quit benzodiazepines? Unless there are pressing reasons to quit, I would generally suggest not making changes to benzodiazepine medication if you are going through upheaval.

How were you feeling before your taper off last year? When did you taper (and over what period) and how long were you off before reinstating. This probably does matter much, but it helps to get a fuller picture.

Klonopin.  I had quit because I didn’t feel like it was working anyways… Taken before bed.  I  contributed it to worsened anxiety and depression and appetite suppressant… plus doctors being picky with prescription refills… 

I was super anxious last year but didn’t know why.  A lot of stress from work.  Tons of day time anxiety.  I had what I thought was high cortisol and hormone problems.  I was anxious and depressed before Klonopin.  

From August to mid November I took around 100 .25 tablets, varying doses taken nightly.  No idea I was screwing up.  When I was almost running out, I was struggling horribly with panic, kidney pain, insomnia, anxiety, etc.  unreal stuff.  I took the last .25 on Nov 16th reinstated on the 20th at .5 (threw it up while brushing my teeth I was so anxious) so I took another .25.  I stayed on .25 until Nov 27th when my doctor told me it looked like I’d been in a war and to go up to .5.  So I did.  Then I ended up in the hospital.  But have stayed on .5. 

My doctor recommended updosing to .25 in the morning and keeping the .5 at night.  And wants to start me on Lexapro.  I tend to have inflammatory issues and read where some SSRIs can be problematic.  But I am very depressed.  While also panicking about life stressors.  

im sorry this is long.  

On 23/01/2024 at 10:35, [[C...] said:

How would I make this switch?  I’ve been on .5 since November 27th after a rough taper from .5 to .25 and C/T off of .25.  Reinstated at .25 and then had to go to .5 Nov.  The entire ordeal was hell. Is hell.  Haven’t been back to work.  Still struggling.  Took .5 the other morning to see if it would help.  It made me extremely exhausted, labored breathing, but I felt somewhat clear headed.  Yesterday morning I took .25 and somewhat could tell a difference maybe.  Still taking the .5 at night of course.  I don’t want to updose but I feel like I need relief in the mornings to get through the day.  I don’t know how to go from .5 at night to .25 and keep blood serum levels even.  Sorry I can’t type this very clearly.  
Idk what I’m in for since I took the .5 the other day and then .25 yesterday.  I’m assuming that will add to symptoms (withdrawal)?  My doctor says I’m in mild psychosis from the ordeal.  So I don’t want to make things worse.  I just need to get through the day.  But want to maintain even levels of the drug in my system.  

I would like to add that I’m going through severe stress and upheaval right now.  Possible job loss, apartment loss, trying to figure out ins and doctor going forward, eating issues.  I just need help.  

thank you for your help… can’t believe I was able to type this. 

Adding that I’ve been on Klonopin for 10 years - .5 every night since 2021 for sure.  

10 hours ago, [[C...] said:

My doctor recommended updosing to .25 in the morning and keeping the .5 at night.  And wants to start me on Lexapro.  I tend to have inflammatory issues and read where some SSRIs can be problematic.  But I am very depressed.  While also panicking about life stressors.

Doctors often prescribe benzodiazepines (short-term) during the time it takes for antidepressants (Lexapro*) to take effect (some weeks, or even a few months). So this might be why, given that you appear to have become tolerant of your previous dose of Klonopin, that you doctor prescribed an increase to your dose.

I know little about antidepressants. And you and your and your doctor will have better handle on your situation than any of us here. From what you have written, you seem both stressed and depressed, and longer term, Lexapro might be a better option to treat anxiety compared with benzodiazepines (which tend to become ineffective quite quickly). Of course mileage will vary (as with any medication), but nothing in what you describe about the treatment proposed by your doctor is surprising to me.

* Lexapro is also prescribed and is (on average) fairly effective in the treatment of generalised and social anxiety disorders. This means that for some, it works very well, and for others, not so well. Just as with most medications, there is variability.

Good luck, @[Ch...]

14 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Doctors often prescribe benzodiazepines (short-term) during the time it takes for antidepressants (Lexapro*) to take effect (some weeks, or even a few months). So this might be why, given that you appear to have become tolerant of your previous dose of Klonopin, that you doctor prescribed an increase to your dose.

I know little about antidepressants. And you and your and your doctor will have better handle on your situation than any of us here. From what you have written, you seem both stressed and depressed, and longer term, Lexapro might be a better option to treat anxiety compared with benzodiazepines (which tend to become ineffective quite quickly). Of course mileage will vary (as with any medication), but nothing in what you describe about the treatment proposed by your doctor is surprising to me.

* Lexapro is also prescribed and is (on average) fairly effective in the treatment of generalised and social anxiety disorders. This means that for some, it works very well, and for others, not so well. Just as with most medications, there is variability.

Good luck, @[Ch...]

Thank you for your time and your response, @[Co...] 🩷

• Like 1

Have you considered an SSRI to manage the morning/daytime? I’ve been on buspirone for several weeks and noticing a benefit. There’s a lot of trial and error but it might help you at least mentally knowing you are moving to a different medication to manage anxiety. I’m not a doctor or have any experience with them outside of my own, just my experience that it’s been helpful as I taper. 

• Like 1

Also just read that you’re trying an SSRI. They CAN be problematic, but nowehere even close to how problematic benzos are. I was also hugely skeptical of adding another medication on, but if you reframe your thinking that there’s a lot of different meds that could be helping you battle the taper more easily. I totally understand where you’re coming from that you don’t want to add another medication in that could make it worse but in your case, trying might be helpful. 

On 26/01/2024 at 22:39, [[D...] said:

Also just read that you’re trying an SSRI. They CAN be problematic, but nowehere even close to how problematic benzos are. I was also hugely skeptical of adding another medication on, but if you reframe your thinking that there’s a lot of different meds that could be helping you battle the taper more easily. I totally understand where you’re coming from that you don’t want to add another medication in that could make it worse but in your case, trying might be helpful. 

It surely depends upon the circumstances for the individual. Ultimately, though, it is just the same as with another medicines: we need (in consultation with our doctors) to carry out a risk-benefit analysis. In this respect, there is nothing special about benzodiazepines and antidepressants. The more serious our situation, the more weight given to taking a medication; and the more serious the potential side effects, the more weight given to not taking the medication. Of course, there is no precise formula for the analysis. It is about having a full and frank discussion with our doctor about not just the potential risks of taking the medicine, but also the potential risks of not taking the medicine.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
[Ch...]
Posted (edited)
On 26/01/2024 at 16:39, [[D...] said:

Thank you, I did end up trying it bc I was having horrid SI and plans.  It was unbearable.   Not sure if it was placebo but 12.5mg Zoloft seemed to help me climb out of that hole and rid my mind of those thoughts and urges.  I also added some Vit D and the combo seems to uplift me a lot.  I hesitated to do so for 3 months… it may come back to bite me… but at least I can cope with recent sudden life changes without it adding to SI.  And I actually feel like I could start a proper taper now.  thank you for your neutral input.  ❤️🙏

Edited by [Ch...]