Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Migraine's are scaring me bad, I feel helpless

I've been having the worst string of migraines in my life's history, and I'm trying to stay focused, but getting fearful. I've had the migraine since before I ever started school as a child.  They were gone practically, after menopause, but are now back with a vengeance since tapering.

My last small taper was on January 6th, hope I have that right without looking at my notes.  It's hard for me to be on here as I have some pain coming on "again" this a.m. If there's no pain, there's a lot of pressure that tells me a migraine is trying to come on again.  I either get the Aura (like a warning sign) or just the pain in left or right temple, never both temples.  I am attributing this mostly to wd sxs, because I've never in my life before benzos, or since have I had this many migraine.  It' been hard because I only have Tylenol for the pain, and I know it can be damaging to my stomach.

Today is Monday, thank goodness, my doctor will be in.  I've been prescribed Immitrex ( I've used it maybe once a year in the past) for migraines, but even that I would be scared having to take it too often.  I've been disabled for the whole weekend as the aura comes and usually has gone in 30 minutes.  I've timed it over the years, but it stayed for 2.5 hours yesterday giving me the typical blind-spot in my vision.  I've learned to lay still and let it all just takes it's course, but it's not running the same course and it's frightening.

So if there is anyone out there that has my type of migraine, please let me know if you had them before wd, or just after.  I don't meet many that have actual migraines, mine are the Hemiplegic Migraine (this best describes mine including Aphasia) The Aphasia causes me to know what I want to say, but it won't come out of mouth the same way.  I can't read, type or talk when I have that. Also I want to mention the Aura (blind-spot) travels from one side of my vision to the other, but yesterday it never moved and stayed on left side for 2.5 hours.

Any help, feedback is so appreciated, oregonlady

I should mention my left arm usually goes numb. I've often wondered if 3 Summers ago while I was being tapered a quarter of a tablet each month by my MD, I woke up with my whole left side numb, no tingling, completely numb.  I luckily only lasted 3 or 4 days, but my left arm and hand still have some numbness, but I use it like normal. I'm so sorry to make this such a long post, but my sister is in the hospital up North about 200 miles, and she is I'm afraid, close to dying with pneumonia, and other factors. She's 81 and frail, I know I'm affected by that right now as well, so it's just a hard time for me.  I can only speak to her on the phone if she is up to it, not usually up to it :cry:

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, [[o...] said:

I've been having the worst string of migraines in my life's history, and I'm trying to stay focused, but getting fearful. I've had the migraine since before I ever started school as a child.  They were gone practically, after menopause, but are now back with a vengeance since tapering.

My last small taper was on January 6th, hope I have that right without looking at my notes.  It's hard for me to be on here as I have some pain coming on "again" this a.m. If there's no pain, there's a lot of pressure that tells me a migraine is trying to come on again.  I either get the Aura (like a warning sign) or just the pain in left or right temple, never both temples.  I am attributing this mostly to wd sxs, because I've never in my life before benzos, or since have I had this many migraine.  It' been hard because I only have Tylenol for the pain, and I know it can be damaging to my stomach.

Today is Monday, thank goodness, my doctor will be in.  I've been prescribed Immitrex ( I've used it maybe once a year in the past) for migraines, but even that I would be scared having to take it too often.  I've been disabled for the whole weekend as the aura comes and usually has gone in 30 minutes.  I've timed it over the years, but it stayed for 2.5 hours yesterday giving me the typical blind-spot in my vision.  I've learned to lay still and let it all just takes it's course, but it's not running the same course and it's frightening.

So if there is anyone out there that has my type of migraine, please let me know if you had them before wd, or just after.  I don't meet many that have actual migraines, mine are the Hemiplegic Migraine (this best describes mine including Aphasia) The Aphasia causes me to know what I want to say, but it won't come out of mouth the same way.  I can't read, type or talk when I have that. Also I want to mention the Aura (blind-spot) travels from one side of my vision to the other, but yesterday it never moved and stayed on left side for 2.5 hours.

I should mention my left arm usually goes numb. I've often wondered if 3 Summers ago while I was being tapered a quarter of a tablet each month by my MD, I woke up with my whole left side numb, no tingling, completely numb.  I luckily only lasted 3 or 4 days, but my left arm and hand still have some numbness, but I use it like normal. I'm so sorry to make this such a long post, but my sister is in the hospital up North about 200 miles, and she is I'm afraid, close to dying with pneumonia, and other factors. She's 81 and frail, I know I'm affected by that right now as well, so it's just a hard time for me.  I can only speak to her on the phone if she is up to it, not usually up to it :cry:

@[or...], i'm so sorry to hear the sad news from you( I do feel for you and hope everything will turn out to the better.

I don't have migraines of your kind but i do have severe headaches. I'm suffering from one right now. I think the severity is definitely caused by the withdrawal and will calm down over time. Sorry i can't write more but this is all i can manage at the moment.

I do hope your sister will recover and wish you both lots of health!

• Like 2

@[or...] so as I mentioned before on your other thread, I do take propanolol it does help with mild headaches unfortunately migraines run in my family. I’ve had them since I was a young child. I also have an occipital neuralgia, which is a severe headache that runs through your occipital nerve from your neck to your head. I’ve had injections in that particular nerve to help with that headache, and I’ve also had Botox injections for my migraines. Imitrex does absolutely nothing for my headaches what I have found that does help if we are only speaking medication wise is a medicine called fioricet. With my migraines, I have extreme eye pain, sensitivity to light and sounds vomiting and nausea. I’ve also had loss of vision when it gets to that point the only thing that actually does help is going and getting some IV fluids with some type of Tylenol that they put into the IV, I refuse to take any type of opiates. They only make things worse and although the nerve blocks and the Botox helped some the side effects, I got from those made it worse with me tapering off of my Xanax. I have noticed an increase in my headaches and visual disturbances what I try to do is just drink as much water as possible and at the slight start of a migraine, I isolate myself in a dark silent room, which isn’t always possible because I do have a eight-year-old. I also do get numbness tingling in my arms my hands, my feet not too long ago. The whole left side of my face was completely numb due to the migraine, I actually went into the ER and they gave me a CT scan, and also an MRI immediately as they thought it was a stroke, however, at that time the neurologist on duty diagnosed me with a retinal migraine. It can be really scary. Do you see a neurologist and have you done any imaging to rule out any other possibilities? It can be extremely scary especially if you are alone dealing with anxiety plus migraines. Hope some of this information has helped you and I wish you some relief in your healing journey as soon as possible.

Hi @[Ra...], Yes, I've had all the tests they could come up with.  I have a cardio, neuro, and my MD.  Both my Neuro and Cardio are in other cities, so I am trying to move closer, but this set-back with my wd sxs has been discouraging but no, I won't give up on the move for Medical reasons, top priority.

My brother gets the same type as myself, familial I'm sure.  But the imitrex helps him and I both.  This is more frequent, and intense since my taper.  Early on in the 9 -10 months of taper, I had a lot of "just" the pain in one temple or the other.  Couple of aspirin handled those as they were mild but still painful.

I do expect this to pass, and feel less pressure now, compared to when I first go up at 5 a.m. today.

Thanks for all your sharing with me, I so hope both of us, and anyone experiencing these hidious migraines get through them to the other side, oregonlady:hug:

I too had Botox injection in '88, same time I was prescribed the benzo.  I was diagnosed with Cervical Dystonia.  My tremor was ramping up but it's never been so bad as now during my wd from benzo.

• Like 1

I dont know if this applies to you but what helps me is a sugar fast for a couple days I mean zero Sugar even bread and I hope it helps you too

• Like 1

Hi Wyme,

I'm on no meds for T2 Diabetes, so I keep my numbers in the normal range (blood glucose) be eating no sugar, or other high carb foods.

Thank you for sharing as I think sugar is a killer, along with high-carb foods, oregonlady :hug:

1 hour ago, [[o...] said:

Thank you for your kind thoughts Kate, I do understand that headaches of different kinds can be as painful.  I did just receive notice that my imitrex will be refilled, and that is something you only take in closer to an emergency, not enough to go to emergency room, but enough to stop milder pain.  It's a hard call as they can get worse, but the imitrex can stop the progress if you catch it in time.

Thanks for well wishes for my sis, her immune system is not allowing her to heal from this pneumonia, and they struggled to find her veins, my heart aches for what she is going through

Denise, i'm so sorry. I do know how it is when your sister is struggling for life and yet let's hope.

I know imitrex. I have a few pills, just in case, but never tried them. And you know i never had headaches that severe before the withdrawal either and, although i'm too superstitious to admit it, but they are not that much bad now. I hope i'm getting better and you will do the same!

Best wishes to you 💕

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

I'll keep believing we are going to be healed @[...] to what extent for just myself, my age, and some things maybe not caused by benzo, I don't know, but I already have had more quality of life at this point, then the migraines hit, but a minor setback I'm calling it, and I won't up my dose as I do not believe for a second that would help me at all.

I'm pretty much convinced extra drugs won't help either, unless I'm in some sort of accident and need something for pain ;)  I do believe so much in nutrition and exercise though, oregonlady :hug:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, [[o...] said:

@[or...] I am so sorry to hear you are having such a time with these migraines.  I do not have migraines but I know that celtic salt is something that might help.  A lot of people have gotten some relief you using  it everyday.  I hope that you get to feeling better soon.  

• Like 1

I've been using the Himalayan Pink Salt since about 3 years ago, don't recall the Celtic Salt but I'll take a look and see what might be the difference.  I do appreciate your message, thanks so much, oregonlady :hug:

Just now, [[o...] said:

I've been using the Himalayan Pink Salt since about 3 years ago, don't recall the Celtic Salt but I'll take a look and see what might be the difference.  I do appreciate your message, thanks so much, oregonlady :hug:

@[or...] The biggest difference is that celtic sea salt has 3 different magnesiums and the Himalayan does not have those.  Take a pinch on your tongue and let it dissolve then drink a glass of water.  This will also force the hydration into your cells.

• Like 1

Somehow I don't think I have any lack of electorlytes, but I could be wrong.  I use 1/4 tsp of HPS in my 16 oz water bottle, twice a day.  But I was just reading something on the Celtic that says it has 3 different mags in it.  I already take 1000 mg of magnesium citrate a day, so with the Salt, and potassium I get in my foods, I think I have enough.  I could try some Celtic though, it never hurts to try something, and I can find some on my Amazon I'm sure.

Did you mean if I'm getting a migraine @[Li...] to do the pinch of salt, let it dissolve, then a glass of water?  I'll go see what they have on Amazon ;)

Just now, [[o...] said:

Somehow I don't think I have any lack of electorlytes, but I could be wrong.  I use 1/4 tsp of HPS in my 16 oz water bottle, twice a day.  But I was just reading something on the Celtic that says it has 3 different mags in it.  I already take 1000 mg of magnesium citrate a day, so with the Salt, and potassium I get in my foods, I think I have enough.  I could try some Celtic though, it never hurts to try something, and I can find some on my Amazon I'm sure.

Did you mean if I'm getting a migraine @[Li...] to do the pinch of salt, let it dissolve, then a glass of water?  I'll go see what they have on Amazon ;)

I probably would take it everyday.  I take it everyday now for hydration but also for bone health.  It has all the minerals that your bones need too  :)   Yes it is on Amazon  :)

Just now, [[L...] said:

I probably would take it everyday.  I take it everyday now for hydration but also for bone health.  It has all the minerals that your bones need too  :)   Yes it is on Amazon  :)

Bone health is a must for me as I have just a bit of osteoporosis showing up.  Mostly I handle that with weight-bearing exercise, mostly walking but also pushups etc.

Do I get the iodine, or non-iodine?  Hmm, looks like non-iodine is better, but you can find things that contradict that so what do your friends use? Iodine free?  Thanks again, Amazon has quite a few choices :)

19 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

Bone health is a must for me as I have just a bit of osteoporosis showing up.  Mostly I handle that with weight-bearing exercise, mostly walking but also pushups etc.

Do I get the iodine, or non-iodine?  Hmm, looks like non-iodine is better, but you can find things that contradict that so what do your friends use? Iodine free?  Thanks again, Amazon has quite a few choices :)

I don't buy it with iodine.  Weight-bearing is good for the bones but they need the minerals too!  Hope it helps!  :)

• Like 1

I developed horrible migraines from my BIND and the protracted withdrawal and they have been debilitating. I am not sure what type of migraines they are because my neurologist never told me. I did an MRI and it showed that I have migrainous activity and I was prescribed Sumatriptan to use sparingly, because of you take it too much, it causes more migraines. I was given 9 pills per month. The other drugs he was recommending were anti-depressants or drugs that I would have to take every day, and after dealing with psych-med harm, that is the last thing I want to do. I would also love to know any other holistic options for dealing with migraines when they come on. For me, it is from trauma from the brain injury. I have to be very careful to avoid over-stimulation which trigger them. Wishing you the best of luck figuring out way to manage yours. 

• Like 1

I have something to offer. I have suffered with debilitating cluster, compression and migraine headaches since I was 10 years old. As severe as you can imagine. I go blind, cant get up, and the pain is an axe in my head. Oneof my triggers is certain noises, and those noises actually cahn provoke a migraine. Mine tend to last 3 days.

Its also familial in my case.

Ok, so we've established I kow what they are like. I am 60 years old. After menopause, it got better, but now they are back.

Ok,lets talk triptans, thats what imitrex is. They release serotonin, which I think makes my sxs worse, definately not pleasant. Some people get some sxs relief from them, we are all different. Studies indicate that triptans work 25% to 50% of the time. No long term adverse effects that are too bad, but frequent usage of a triptan causes rebound headaches.

Tater tot was spot on with taking them as little as possible.

What my doctor had me start doing 10 years ago was physical therapy. My therapist does a procedure called needling,. It's not acupuncture. And it works. If I can't get in to see her when one of these hits (she is very booked) my son does a very deep pressure massage on my kneck, shoulders, and jaw, it does help.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/dry-needling-for-headaches#overview

As we decrease the benzo dosage, muscle, joint and other pain are extremely common. As are spasms. These drugs are used to treat seizures, and are powerful muscle relaxers. As we decrease, we lose that benefit, and get hit wiht a lot of pain. 

I do yoga to relax my muscles. Not for everyone, but it works. Have been doing yoga for 20 years. I have had to adapt for various injuries, but it doesnt have to be intense and gung ho. The combined breathing and stretching exercises really allow your CNS to chill out wnough to calm down first, and experience symptom release second.

Our bodies want to move. Anything you can do to get up and move around, I know its difficult for some, but it does help. And, if you can even do chair yoga, it will help overall.

What your experiencing is normal. Hopefully the  dry needling is something you can try. It really does work. And the yoga.

Have been offered beta blockers, but I declined. I have low BP, but for some people they can reduce the frequency of the headaches. I am already too drugged out, and not taking nany more meds. I believe they would just make my taper harder, and cause their own issues.

people are offered AD's because they increase serotonin, it's not worht it for another adddictive toxic medication, and getting polydrugged even more. Just thought I would explain why some docs suggest that.

ADS and beta blockers and other non triptan drugs do absolutely does not hit the root cause at all. Its the lack of benzo muscle relaxation doing this.

Best, Dove

Edited by [ba...]
  • Like 3

I'm practically holding my breath today because I have only one small start of a headache earlier this a.m. and then it was gone.  I don't have the head pressure like a migraine wanting to start up, no aura all.  I even had a sound-sleep nap for I think 1.5 hours.  Still no sign of migraine.  This would be the first day in weeks with no sign, so far.

The things I've done differently?  I started my regular vitamins again (Bs, C, Zinc, D3) and I did 2 cups of my anti-inflammatory decaf concoction which had 2 tsp total of Turmeric, and 1 tsp total of cinnamon.

The one thing I left out was my Collagen Powder.  It has never caused migraine over the year or so I have been using a tbsp of it in my one cup of coffee.  I really don't think this drink has caused, or the lack of the collagen has caused my "clear" day.  I think maybe the migraine had to run it's course but I have no way of knowing for sure right now.

Also, our weather has gone back and forth in temperature from very cold, wind and rain in the high 40s to low 50s, then warming up with more rain, wind and mid to higher 50s and humid.

I'm stumped, except for the fact this could all be wd sxs, and I'll wait for stability to come again.  I can tell you I don't care to go through this again, so for now, no more collagen as it also can increase estrogen.  Way back when, I could not do any ERT because it brought back migraines after them ceasing post-menopause.

I wish there was more for me to go on, but I'll follow up here after I see how this holds out for me.  I'm almost afraid to breath but for now, I'll enjoy the lack of a blind-spot, and head pain, oregonlady wishing you all the very best in finding relief :hug:

• Like 1

I get the WORST head pressure and migraines post taper. I’m 147 days off and my eyes are one if my worst symptoms. Head pressure is the first. I get sharp pains behind my eyes. Terrible pressure. Been to 3 ophthalmology appointments and they find nothing. My eyes always feel tired and heavy. I’m extremely sensitive to light. It’s debilitating. Nothing helps my head pressure. It affects my balance. So i completely understand how you feel 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, [[o...] said:

Same here.....Migraines left with Menopause but came back....how many days?  I had them daily for 2 weeks but now I don't have any, if that is any consolation.  Yes I get the aura's but they last only 45-1 hr for me.....and now they come with neck and ear pain.  In the past, I used to take 1 Gravol (not sure if you have that where you are (it's a motion sickness tablet...here you can get the ones that make you tired or ginger)...those always worked for me.  I used to take them with the onset of the aura, and surprising the headache often never came.  It's over the counter medicine....maybe worth a try?  Feeling for you!  Sending prayers and hugs your way 

Edited by [Da...]
  • Like 1

Thank you @[Da...], I haven't tried Ginger, but keep meaning to buy some! Thank you for the reminder I'm putting it on my grocery list now :)

I also use turmeric and cinnamon in my decaf which may or may not help with any pain, but it won't hurt.  That's what I love about nutrition you can seek out (make changes) as I don't seem to have any food allergies at all.

I feel better now with no real issue yesterday, 2 Tylenol last evening, and this a.m. a bit of pain in my left temple but much much less.  I feel it was just a bad time, and mine was about 2 weeks as well, hoping for all of us today, oregonlady ♥️♥️♥️

12 hours ago, [[s...] said:

I get the WORST head pressure and migraines post taper. I’m 147 days off and my eyes are one if my worst symptoms. Head pressure is the first. I get sharp pains behind my eyes. Terrible pressure. Been to 3 ophthalmology appointments and they find nothing. My eyes always feel tired and heavy. I’m extremely sensitive to light. It’s debilitating. Nothing helps my head pressure. It affects my balance. So i completely understand how you feel 

I'm sorry I didn't get to write more replies, I just wasn't up to it.  I wrote such a long post and that was when I felt most desperate.  Then things didn't get better and I just couldn't keep up with all the responses.  I am certainly not alone so I am glad I made the thread.  It has been very encouraging for the most part, and I am coming through the other side now.  I am having the milder pain now, which the Tylenol helps that, no visual disturbances, or numbness.

I do get panicky because I've had to make it to the hospital a few times over the years.  It's a good thing I was taken by friends or family as I went into some sort of deliriousness state and couldn't remember any of the trip, barely being on a bed, getting 5 (1 every 30 minutes they said later) total shots last time until I was knocked out completely.  Don't remember coming home, don't remember anything of the trip.

Anyway, at least no trip to emergency this time :)  I hope the very best for you @[su...] and believe  there is a window at the end of our struggles. There's just so many here that can attest to that, oregonlady :hug:

PS I'm on a very taper & hold plan, but I haven't avoided wd sxs.  I hope other reading may never go Cold Turkey, or, taper too much at a time.  These drugs should be taken seriously, that's my learning experience after popping them like vitamins for 35 years.

15 hours ago, [[b...] said:

I have something to offer. I have suffered with debilitating cluster, compression and migraine headaches since I was 10 years old. As severe as you can imagine. I go blind, cant get up, and the pain is an axe in my head. Oneof my triggers is certain noises, and those noises actually cahn provoke a migraine. Mine tend to last 3 days.

Its also familial in my case.

Ok, so we've established I kow what they are like. I am 60 years old. After menopause, it got better, but now they are back.

Ok,lets talk triptans, thats what imitrex is. They release serotonin, which I think makes my sxs worse, definately not pleasant. Some people get some sxs relief from them, we are all different. Studies indicate that triptans work 25% to 50% of the time. No long term adverse effects that are too bad, but frequent usage of a triptan causes rebound headaches.

Tater tot was spot on with taking them as little as possible.

What my doctor had me start doing 10 years ago was physical therapy. My therapist does a procedure called needling,. It's not acupuncture. And it works. If I can't get in to see her when one of these hits (she is very booked) my son does a very deep pressure massage on my kneck, shoulders, and jaw, it does help.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/dry-needling-for-headaches#overview

As we decrease the benzo dosage, muscle, joint and other pain are extremely common. As are spasms. These drugs are used to treat seizures, and are powerful muscle relaxers. As we decrease, we lose that benefit, and get hit wiht a lot of pain. 

I do yoga to relax my muscles. Not for everyone, but it works. Have been doing yoga for 20 years. I have had to adapt for various injuries, but it doesnt have to be intense and gung ho. The combined breathing and stretching exercises really allow your CNS to chill out wnough to calm down first, and experience symptom release second.

Our bodies want to move. Anything you can do to get up and move around, I know its difficult for some, but it does help. And, if you can even do chair yoga, it will help overall.

What your experiencing is normal. Hopefully the  dry needling is something you can try. It really does work. And the yoga.

Have been offered beta blockers, but I declined. I have low BP, but for some people they can reduce the frequency of the headaches. I am already too drugged out, and not taking nany more meds. I believe they would just make my taper harder, and cause their own issues.

people are offered AD's because they increase serotonin, it's not worht it for another adddictive toxic medication, and getting polydrugged even more. Just thought I would explain why some docs suggest that.

ADS and beta blockers and other non triptan drugs do absolutely does not hit the root cause at all. Its the lack of benzo muscle relaxation doing this.

Best, Dove

hello @[ba...] I am sorry I just couldn't take all your post in at the time you replied.  I am better this a.m. and will look it over and I do so appreciate you sharing it.  I've had to do this with even shorter posts, read them once, then read again later.  I've found some of my best info by re-reading replies from folks. 

I'll respond after a bit.  I have a slight nagging pain this a.m. and will go ahead on 2 of my regular Tylenol.  I am very careful to space them out as I don't want to damage my stomach or anything else they affect.  I also have an ice-pack sort of "case" that I can wrap around my head that can help me stay upright, so I'll try that before the Tylenol this a.m.

I know the blood-vessels swell with migraine so the ice left on helps.  I'll read you whole reply and then get back to you on it when I feel just a little better, thank you again, oregonlady:hug: