Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Switching from Ativan to Klonopin

Hi my first post here , 

Ive been on Ativan for 6 months .. when i really push it to not overuse Im at a 1mg daily with some interdose and tolerance withdrawl . I take it three small doses a day to equal the 1mg. My prescriber wants me to switch to a longer acting to eventually taper .. makes sense but when I try take the Klonopin at equivalant dose I feel depressed and Im not sure if its the Klonopin or if theres a possibilty of ativan withdrawl causing depression. She doesnt seem to believe in a cross taper method and now Im nervous to try Valium but also do not want to go through a painful short acting benzo taper . Any advice Thanks

Hello @[Ta...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

We will try to help you.

To clarify: you take 1mg Ativan (total) per day - yes? How much Klonopin do you take as an equivalent dose?

Did you switch your whole daily dose to Klonopin in one go, or did you switch out just part of it? If so, please specify.

12 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Hi my first post here , 

Ive been on Ativan for 6 months .. when i really push it to not overuse Im at a 1mg daily with some interdose and tolerance withdrawl . I take it three small doses a day to equal the 1mg. My prescriber wants me to switch to a longer acting to eventually taper .. makes sense but when I try take the Klonopin at equivalant dose I feel depressed and Im not sure if its the Klonopin or if theres a possibilty of ativan withdrawl causing depression. She doesnt seem to believe in a cross taper method and now Im nervous to try Valium but also do not want to go through a painful short acting benzo taper . Any advice Thanks

Hi Tam Tam,  I am currently at 3/4 lorazapam a day now also. My doctor tried to switch me to clonazepam too but I had withdrawal so bad had to go back to lorazapam. It's good your here and can get taper advice as I didn't know of bb until after my taper. I couldn't take valuim either but I probably would have been able to do the switch if I'd of had help.

Glad you found help!

Ns