Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Benzos not taking effect

So the week before Christmas, my son woke up sick and I then got sick. His father then. Got sick. I was the sickest. My son was home the whole week before vacation. Our Covid tests were negative. I had a suboxone appointment on the 19th and I called and said I’m too sick to come in but please tell her I’m out of medicine because the pharmacy only had enough to cover a 25 day script. This was 8am. The dr called me back 6 and a half hours later and she says I sent 15 strips to the pharmacy to complete last months script. I said I think I have the flu. And she says well you ran out of medication yesterday and haven’t had any yet today and that could be why. It wasn’t why but I’m not one to argue. Then she goes the best I can do is Thursday at 8:30am (like I’m gonna recover from the flu in 2 days) but I went along with it and said ok. Wednesday comes and I’m even sicker. I’m like taking breaks all over my house crouching down and leaning on things and sitting on the floor. So by 3pm I called the office and said I’m still too sick to come in so I’ll come after Christmas. Oh but Tuesday when I got my subs….I took 2 and I like felt it kick in and felt better for a short time and then started feeling back to sick. So then I remembered I had a Xanax and I took that and I like felt it kick in but it was like beside me. Idk it’s hard to explain. Just like the suboxone felt beside me when it kicked in. Christmas comes and im still sick. I felt a little better on Wednesday so I called the drs office and explained I was too sick to come in before Xmas and bla bla and she goes well I think she’s booked through January so I better send you right over to her office. A lady with a thick accent and monotone sound answers and I explain and she said someone will call me back. No call. Call again on Thursday and it’s like Groundhog Day and the same thing happens. She says we’re waiting for a decision and I can’t do anything without a decision. I call again on Friday and a man answers and I don’t explain and he’s like you need an appointment? I said yes I do and I already have one for Jan 22nd but I’m almost out of meds and they’re saying she’s booked through January. He says how about January 9th at 9am. I said perfect. And I also said I really appreciate your help because all I wanted was an appointment. I wasn’t looking for more meds without doing a urine test. So that’s Friday. Mondays a holiday. Tuesday comes and the drs office calls me and she starts to say “she doesn’t have anything available” and before she could finish I said I have an appointment for the 9th. And she goes ohh uhh well if you want your dose you can go to the er. I said that’s fine and hung up. The appointment comes. I have a UTI so I only peed a drop and it wasn’t enough so I chugged my coffee and went again and it was enough. But she already had it in her mind that I was gonna come in and piss dirty because she opens the door and says “you’re positive” I said for what? “Amphetamines”. I said that’s my medication. My adderall (which we’ve discussed many times). And she says “well who prescribes this to you?” I said the same person who does all my other meds and I named the doctor. And then she’s saying to the nurse “do we have this on record somewhere? Do you have her medication list? Meanwhile, it’s clipped to the clipboard on her hand. And she goes “well yah know when you miss appointments it could look like You’re trying to hide dirty urine”. I said I was too weak to stand up and walk. And she goes “ohh what were you sick? I said yea deathly. I told the office that when I called. My whole house was sick”. And after that she was really nice to me. Anyway, I got my script and picked up my usual amount of Xanax. I had 22 Xanax and take 1mg at a time. I take them for like a week and a half and then I stop and then I take 1 here and there. I have to keep my urine clean. So I don’t go into withdrawals without them or anything. Not a single one of them fuckin Xanax took effect. And I know they’re not fake and come right from the pharmacy. So then I got some klonopin thinking if I switch it up it may work. Nope. So then I started researching and it says that Xanax and klonopin can lower your immune system. And taking Xanax while you’re sick can have the opposite effects of what it should have. Has ANYONE experienced anything like this? I can’t find anything else about it. I’ve hit a wall. I’m so beyond frustrated and overwhelmed with anxiety and the anxiety meds won’t take effect. All it brings me to is information about withdrawals and I’m not in withdrawals . I’m 5’2 110 pounds so it’s not like I take a bunch. 1mg is my normal dose and sometimes I’ll take 1.5 if I don’t feel it taking effect. 

Hey @[MB...],

Welcome to Benzobuddies!

It sounds like you have really been through the ringer over the last month!  I am so sorry for everything that you've been dealing with. 

Benzos can be very finicky meds.  Sometimes they stop working at the current doses that we've been taking  when we hit tolerance withdrawal.  This can happen very suddenly.  Also, being very sick can have an impact on everything, too.

Right now are you still taking 1 mg a day of Xanax?  And is that all at once or split up?  Are you taking anything else with it?   Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure that we know what the situation is so that we can help you figure this out.

I'm so glad you found us!