Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taper and withdrawal support in the UK

Not really sure where to put this. But I thought I'd share a resource in the UK for anyone who feels they may benefit from a more personal approach.

It's a charity called https://www.postscript360.org.uk/

I have no personal experience with them however as I was CT. Has anyone dealt with them before? I spoke Bristol Tranquilized Project in the past, but unfortunately they've lost their charity status now and been forced to close. Pretty much sums up the state of the UK health system nowadays.

Feedback on Postscript greatly appreciated, and/or other suggestions for support, benzowise doctors etc in the UK 

update: There's a few other resources here and here @[He...]

I will continue to update this as and when i can find more. 

Thanks all for your contributions

Edited by [Ha...]

Yes @[Ha...] I am in UK & was formally assessed by postscript360 (by phone) in Feb 2023. They declined to take me on - reason given was too complex. I was initially disappointed but am ok with that decision  - I am complex!

*Their service I think is you pay a set amount monthly. After assessment, I believe they then input/draw up a support plan. Worth a shot & this is not negative feedback. 

So little on offer by way of support especially since BTP closed. We need more services not less. 

And we need clinicians globally to be familiar with prescribing/have exit plan/knowledge of WD. I could vent more! 

* at time I had assessment that was how it worked it may have changed 

Edited by [Ka...]
Re paid service

@[Ha...]

I’ve read that Mark Horowitz, co-author of The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines: Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Gabapentinoids and Z-drugs, runs a drug deprescribing clinic at North East London NHS Trust. 

• Like 1

Thanks @[Ka...]

Strange that it's a "charity", but you're expected to pay. I've been looking at their site and it gives "suggested amounts". I'm not sure if this obligatory though?

I was shocked to get the letter through the door saying BTP were closing. They did great work for years, and helped so many. I'm not sure of the full story. But I would be interested to know. I couldn't agree more that there's a huge need for better services and information about coming off these drugs. There's more and more people being prescribed some sort of psych med each year, antidepressants given out like candy. I can unfortunately see a lot of people getting hurt.

5 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

@[Ha...]

I’ve read that Mark Horowitz, co-author of The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines: Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Gabapentinoids and Z-drugs, runs a drug deprescribing clinic at North East London NHS Trust. 

Thanks @[Li...] I'll take a look. I did find 1 London based service, but unfortunately you had to live in London. There's simply so little resources available.

Will update this post if I can find more info

• Like 2

1 hour ago, [[H...] said:

Thanks @[Ka...]

Strange that it's a "charity", but you're expected to pay. I've been looking at their site and it gives "suggested amounts". I'm not sure if this obligatory though?

I was shocked to get the letter through the door saying BTP were closing. They did great work for years, and helped so many. I'm not sure of the full story. But I would be interested to know. I couldn't agree more that there's a huge need for better services and information about coming off these drugs. There's more and more people being prescribed some sort of psych med each year, antidepressants given out like candy. I can unfortunately see a lot of people getting hurt.

@[Ha...] benzo.org have a list & Mind also  

update: links have been helpfully added on the first post 

Edited by [Ka...]
Update re links
  • Like 1

Meant to say.... 

Sorry to hear they refused to take you on @[Ka...] (I'm pretty forgetful) Doesn't really inspire does it, that they can just pick and chose who they want to help. Easy cases with plenty of money maybe?

Anyway glad you've found this place, and hope you're doing ok

Edited by [Ha...]

Thank you. You’ve said exactly what I was thinking.  

I have found a wealth of info here at BB & since doing my own taper (early days & without any other input) the brain fog lifted a bit. I’m not on any other forum. At first, I was so ill I couldn’t even navigate the site properly but I can now & there is so much to learn. & share. 
update your findings & wishing you well 

• Like 1

Unfortunately it would appear so @[WU...]. There's also an ever growing amount of healing protocols appearing promising you your health back. 

Promises, promises but do they deliver?  I guess it distracts the mind for a while if nothing else

• Like 1

I used them and they were not good to me at all.  They can liaise with you gp though.  The taper is basically 10% every 2 weeks which is okay I suppose.   

1 hour ago, [[S...] said:

I used them and they were not good to me at all.  They can liaise with you gp though.  The taper is basically 10% every 2 weeks which is okay I suppose.   

Thanks for the input Simon. I suppose it's handy that they will liaise with your GP. But I'm getting the impression it's not a very good service they're offering. 

If I was in the UK I would see Mark Horowitz (he does virtual consultations world wide too!) I think he works with the Melanie Davis at REST. Definitely something to look into

• 2 months later...
[Sa...]

I can weigh in on Postscript as I have been with them for the past 3 months. So far so good! They are really supportive and have helped me loads. I'm doing a 10% reduction every 2 weeks and it's a slow taper. They do ask for a monthly contribution which is scaled according to whether you're working or not. I'm paying £30 a month and for what I get from them I think that's amazing.