Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

need some advice on these symptoms , choking , closed airway feeling when sleeping

hi everyone need some advice and to see if anyone else has had this / these symptoms ! 
so i’m about 5 and half months post jump  from diazepam iv had many many horrible symptoms a lot of them have seemed to revolve around sleep for me ! 

one of the worst symptoms that iv had and is currently happening is when i go to fall asleep or even in the night i get what can only be described as a choking type feeling almost like my airway is closing up and in turn this jolts me back awake ,
this happens in the stage between falling asleep and being awake just when im starting to drift off  its not a nice feeling at all an somtimes i also happens in the middle of the night 
throughout and even now i get hypnik jerks when trying to fall asleep to could it be related ? 

iv had alot of over sleep related issues numbness , palpations, nerve pain , etc etc 

has anyone seen this before or even experienced it ? 
i have had an at home sleep study before anyone suggests and was pretty much okay so don’t think it’s sleep apnea related 

Edited by Guest

@[ad...]

I experienced this during my taper and for a little bit after.  I had not made the connection, until you mentioned it, but it did happen during the same time frame as the hypnic jerks.  Both of them have pretty much stopped now.  Sleeping on my side helped them somewhat, as laying on my back seemed to make them worse.  Have you noticed any patterns that make it worse or help?

14 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

@[ad...]

I experienced this during my taper and for a little bit after.  I had not made the connection, until you mentioned it, but it did happen during the same time frame as the hypnic jerks.  Both of them have pretty much stopped now.  Sleeping on my side helped them somewhat, as laying on my back seemed to make them worse.  Have you noticed any patterns that make it worse or help?

hey thanks for the reply yeah thinking of it seems to happen in term with the jerks mabey it’s connected very strange tho and uncomfortable! 

im not sure what makes it better i just deal with it till i fall asleep tried to nap earlier what i haven’t really been able to do since withdrawing and it happened then to 

I'm really sorry, and it is very uncomfortable.  I'm sorry I don't have anything to suggest to help it.  It just seemed to be another one of those "resolve with time" things.  Hoping and praying it stops soon for you.

• Like 1

Hi adamstuart1 and welcome!  

Sounds like your airway is clear and oxygen is good while sleeping since the apnea test is okay

I am still tapering.  My breathing is altered and muscles are very tight. Im not getting jerked when falling asleep/waking though that seems very normal given the elevated anxiety in benzo recovery

i wonder if sleeping in a lounge chair might help, so you’re more upright. Weighted blankets are helpful 

Withdrawal coping technique list:

https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/coping/

Edited by [...]
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, [[a...] said:

hi everyone need some advice and to see if anyone else has had this / these symptoms ! 
so i’m about 5 and half months post jump  from diazepam iv had many many horrible symptoms a lot of them have seemed to revolve around sleep for me ! 

one of the worst symptoms that iv had and is currently happening is when i go to fall asleep or even in the night i get what can only be described as a choking type feeling almost like my airway is closing up and in turn this jolts me back awake ,
this happens in the stage between falling asleep and being awake just when im starting to drift off  its not a nice feeling at all an somtimes i also happens in the middle of the night 
throughout and even now i get hypnik jerks when trying to fall asleep to could it be related ? 

iv had alot of over sleep related issues numbness , palpations, nerve pain , etc etc 

has anyone seen this before or even experienced it ? 
i have had an at home sleep study before anyone suggests and was pretty much okay so don’t think it’s sleep apnea related 

adamstuart1, sorry for u too.

I found that when I'm lying down at times I have this happen. I do breathing in slowly thru my nose and out my nose. It's like a panic attack, idk what it is, seems like a panic attack.  Only happens sometimes but if I breath like that, deep in deep and slow out a couple times it goes away.

Hope that helps you 

Ns