Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering off Klonopin, any info is useful!

Okay! Thank you. Have you had people who have had similar situations to mine taper the way you suggesting and have succeeded?

Also I have my Physciatrist appointment tomorrow what should I say to her? Are you a clinician? Or just expert in benzod? 

First of all, 0.5mg is not a low dose.  That amount was very strong for me.  I used it for 13 years.

If you want help tapering, I can help with the math.  However, before going through all the troubles with a scale, I always recommend people try the simple way first.  Here, watch this video:

19 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Okay! Thank you. Have you had people who have had similar situations to mine taper the way you suggesting and have succeeded?

Yes, we have hundreds of success stories of people who have used these methods. 

23 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Also I have my Physciatrist appointment tomorrow what should I say to her? Are you a clinician? Or just expert in benzod? 

I'm not a clinician or an expert, in fact I have no experience tapering, I've just read a lot of posts.  We're a peer support platform, we just do what we can to help each other.

I'm not sure mentioning you've been talking to people on the internet would be helpful when speaking to your doctor, most warn us to stay off the internet for medical issues.  The problem is, not many doctors have the proper deprescribing experience to help, most will taper us too quickly.

Have you printed this document to take to your doctor appointment? Benzo-Deperscribing.pdf (corxconsortium.org)

Just now, [[A...] said:

Like I have a headache lol trying to do the math. 

How would I do this? I think I rest her do dry tapering lol ugh 😑 very stressed . 

14 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Like I have a headache lol trying to do the math. 

@[...] can help you with the math.

14 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

How would I do this? I think I rest her do dry tapering lol ugh 😑 very stressed . 

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement, are you saying you'd rather do the dry taper using a scale?  If this is the case, we'll help you figure it out.

I know its stressful so maybe for now, just concentrate on getting stable on the .75 mg a day, you have some time before you'll need to reduce your dose.  Everything we do is in slow motion because when we make a change, we have to wait to see how our body will react.  The we evaluate and figure out how much and when to make another reduction. 

1 minute ago, [[P...] said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement, are you saying you'd rather do the dry taper using a scale?  If this is the case, we'll help you figure it out.

I know its stressful so maybe for now, just concentrate on getting stable on the .75 mg a day, you have some time before you'll need to reduce your dose.  Everything we do is in slow motion because when we make a change, we have to wait to see how our body will react.  The we evaluate and figure out how much and when to make another reduction. 

Okay so what exactly is .75 mg. No the math is stressing me out and understanding how to cut my dose to a .75

5 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

@[...] can help you with the math.

I rather do the dry tapering. So help with the math would be great. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Okay so what exactly is .75 mg. No the math is stressing me out and understanding how to cut my dose to a .75

If your tablets are .5 mg, then you would cut that .5 mg tablet in half and combine that half .25 with another .5 tablet to make .75.  Will you have enough of the pills to go up to .75 mg a day for a little while?

So I’m assuming I would take 3 qtrs of my tablet=25% then take %50 which would be half tablet and see how it goes depending on my symptoms

15 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

So I’m assuming I would take 3 qtrs of my tablet=25% then take %50 which would be half tablet and see how it goes depending on my symptoms

I'm not sure what you're saying here so I think we need to talk in mgs, not % for now.  If your tablets are .5 mg, then you would take that one tablet plus one half of another tablet to reach .75 mgs each day.  You would take this dose for a week or so while observing how you feel.  If you feel stable, which we define as able to perform your basic daily tasks, then it might be time to start reducing.

When you get your scale, @[...] will help you with the math.  You may decide to reduce by 10% for your first cut, he'll help you with the math to achieve that.  

1 minute ago, [[P...] said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here so I think we need to talk in mgs, not % for now.  If your tablets are .5 mg, then you would take that one tablet plus one half of another tablet to reach .75 mgs each day.  You would take this dose for a week or so while observing how you feel.  If you feel stable, which we define as able to perform your basic daily tasks, then it might be time to start reducing.

When you get your scale, @[...] will help you with the math.  You may decide to reduce by 10% for your first cut, he'll help you with the math to achieve that.  

I thought you meant .75 of the .5 meaning take three qtrs of that which is 25% reduction. I didn’t know you meant .75 mg 

Just now, [[A...] said:

I thought you meant .75 of the .5 meaning take three qtrs of that which is 25% reduction. I didn’t know you meant .75 mg 

Okay I will do the .75 mg and then we will talk about what I need to do next for the %10. Thank you so much that’s a huge help. I have a pill cutter at home. I will start my taper tomorrow. How long do you recommend me stay on the .75

Sorry I am late to this.

Look, if you are uncomfortable with math, you can do a dry taper without any math.

Can you get a good pill cutter from Walmart.  Then cut your pill into 1/8 bits.  Do not worry if the bits are not exact.  Benzos stay in the blood a long time so if you get a large bit one day it will average with a small bit the next day.

Anyway, once you have your pill cut into 1/8 bits, your no math taper is simple.

Just reduce your dose by 1/8 bit.  Then hold for at least 2 weeks or until you feel stable enough to continue, whichever is longer.

Bob

Just now, [[A...] said:

Oh okay is 1/8 the whole tablet then 1half?

Idk what 1/8 is of the tablet lol 😂 

I thought when @[Pa...] mentioned .75 I thought he meant from the tablet like taking 3 qrtrs from the one tablet.  And I’ve been watching my feed like a hawk because I’m so desperate for info ! 

LI thought when @[Pa...] mentioned .75 I thought he meant from the tablet like taking 3 qrtrs from the one tablet.  And I’ve been watching my feed like a hawk because I’m so desperate for info !