Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

something to consider

$26 billion is a mere trifle to these Pharma companies. Their global revenue is measured in the trillions. 

I'm not well now but it doesn't mean I will roll over forever like a helpless victim, it is just that for now I need to utilise all my energy on recovery. When I feel stronger I will be requesting certain information from my GP practice and asking them why they continued to prescribe benzos for years when the guidelines state 2-4 weeks. I really want an answer from them about this.  

And this as a reminder, posted here many times over the years. Ian Singleton from Cepuk UK, sadly no longer with us. Most recover in their second year but some take many more years, so no conspiracy here. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

$26 billion is a mere trifle to these Pharma companies. Their global revenue is measured in the trillions. 

I'm not well now but it doesn't mean I will roll over forever like a helpless victim, it is just that for now I need to utilise all my energy on recovery. When I feel stronger I will be requesting certain information from my GP practice and asking them why they continued to prescribe benzos for years when the guidelines state 2-4 weeks. I really want an answer from them about this.  

And this as a reminder, posted here many times over the years. Ian Singleton from Cepuk UK, sadly no longer with us. Most recover in their second year but some take many more years, so no conspiracy here. 

The late great Prof Lader article 

https://benzo.org.uk/lader2.htm 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 1

@[Ka...]  Mon Dieu! I hadn't seen all that stuff from Prof Lader writing way back then.   I also read the links below the link you sent. I'm flabberghasted ! Why the hell are GP's still prescribing? What the hell are they playing at?  They are supposed to know these things. God knows they are paid enough. My faith in the medical system has hit rock bottom. Just yesterday a neighbour told me that they ask on pre-surgery forms if a person is male or female. I mean really, if they can't tell without asking then something is very wrong!

• Like 3

@[WU...] It’s 2024! 
Not progressed much have we?

Late Prof Lader was an expert witness so acted for those harmed & families of those lost. 
the issue when litigating is it takes years, it’s bloody hard & mostly people are sadly too ill & kaput by then.

an eye opener & if more people did sue then things would change 

ps sorry that link should have a warning 

& a travesty that the Bristol Tranquilliser Project closed 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 1

@[Ka...]  We haven't progressed at all, it has got much worse. Far higher numbers affected and polydrugged with various SSRI's in the mix.   

My neighbour's daughter was given anti-depressants for no reason I can see, just a normal teenage girl trying to find her way into adult life but the GP has a pill for that!

@colin. you state: "There is a simple calculation which might apply to your theory: do the risks of pharmaceutical companies secretly participating at BenzoBuddies and being found out outweigh the potential benefits of spreading disinformation? The answer is clearly yes."

i completely disagree. in fact most of the user posting web sites today have paid trolls particularly the news related message boards/ threads. this a well known reality. and this website is not exempt from said paid posters. these would in many cases be fairly high profile posters with many posts. and they frequently have more than one posting identity so they can have greater impact and control without calling undue attention to themselves. 

Edited by [...]

@[w ...] billion is a mere trifle to these Pharma companies. their global revenue is measured in the trillions."

this is absolutely false. as an example, pfizer's 2020 annual revenues were approximately $42 billion...a far cry from "trillions". so a settlement from 4 drug manufacturers for $26 billion would be a $6.5 billion payout per company...or apprx 15 percent of pfizer's 2020 revenues. certainly anything but "a mere trifle". 

Edited by [...]

[a0...]

Hey @[...]

I don’t want you to feel left out in the cold… or feel like you are not being heard. 

Let’s just assume that there may be a very small percentage of people out there who heal much slower than others… I’m not sure we can ever really be in a position to say they don’t heal at all, and there may be other reasons for that which we don’t know about. 

The important thing to understand about this forum is that many here are extremely vulnerable, which does leave them much more ‘reactive’ in their response to anything fearful. 

We are naturally wired to the negative, so if we are suffering and given a choice between two thoughts…. ‘I am healing’ or ‘I will never heal’,  we are naturally pulled to the negative bias and have to keep wrestling away from that bias towards the positive thought ‘I am healing’. 

We’re not afraid of a return to health… we’re afraid of not returning to health, so of course we get pulled into that negative bias at times. 

Recovery can be a very unpredictable and wearying road, and of course we become mired in doubt and defeatist at times. In regard to conspiracies and such… those thoughts are really just an extension of that negative bias… the mind further reinforcing that the small number of people who have more difficult/longer recoveries is much larger and that you will be one of them. Notice how it serves the negative bias. See how the ego mind wants to be right about the conspiracies and hidden agendas. That’s how powerful the pull to the negative bias really is… the ego mind buys in and makes it reality.

Is there greed and all sorts of underhanded things going on out in the world because of it? Of course there is! But, in my time here, I have never seen anything on this forum that would suggest that it’s been infiltrated by anyone with a hidden agenda… trying to hide the truth. 

Please be confident in your continued recovery… it’s just taking longer than you had imagined. 

@ws. save the condescending lecture. your post is all about obfuscation, misdirection, and gaslighting. you state that there is "a very small percentage of people out there who heal much slower than others". really?

this message board indicates that apprx 80% of people heal in a year. if true, that would mean 20% of people take over a year to heal. 20 percent is a huge percentage. that's 20 out of 100, 200 out of 1000, 2000 out of 10,000, 20,000 out of 100,000...

Edited by [...]

[a0...]
11 minutes ago, [[k...] said:

I've experienced all the horror that everyone here has and then some.  I haven't posted in quite awhile as I really don't know what to do with my taper.  I've gone down from 60 msgs. of diazepam to just 2, but I made my last cut of .5 mg (2.5 to 2)  on Sept. of 23 and have been undecided on whether or not to continue.  I have been horribly sick for 4 months now and can count on one hand the number of days (or even hours) that I have had some sense of normalcy.  To be truthful, I'm scared to death to make any more cuts and have no idea how to proceed. A large part of the problem is that I'm in my seventies and do not have years and years to try to "heal up".  I do know that during this time I've blamed myself, my providers, the pharmaceuticals, and just about everybody else for what I've been going through.  One thing I do know is that I never even realized what was happening to me until I found BB.  I really can't believe that member do not have my best interests in mind.  I would appreciate it if someone would would weigh in as to what I should do with my situation.  Should I stay and try to stabilize for the years I have left, or push on??????  Really in need of some help here and blaming other people for what I'm going through has not be helpful at all. 

Hi @[kn...]

Could you post the above again on the Benzodiazepine Taper Strategy Board and we’ll help you out with where to go from here. 👍

[a0...]

I’m sorry you feel so infuriated… clearly there simply is no reaching you right now, so I’ll leave it there. 

Hi Knackered: I'm in a similar boat. I'm soon to be 69. These drugs will continue to destroy your body in every way imaginable. If you continue with the drug you will loose your old self anyway just less painfully. I'm either going to beat this thing or I won't. It's your call wether to stay medicated or fight. No one can really make that decision for you. I'm a year 1/2 CT. Its been brutal. But there are the days I have a window and get a glimpse of the exit door. I keep focusing on that memory and it keeps me going forward.

@[...]  Here's a list of the biggest pharma companies with their revenue for 2022 with Pfizer at the top on 100. 33 billion so I don't know where you got 22 billion from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_biomedical_companies_by_revenue

Its quite a long list and doesn't include companies with less than 10 billion. 

How do you suggest we go about claiming compensation in the current state we are in ? I have no surplus energy for anything other than getting through to the next day.  

My feeling is we tackle our prescribers first as they are the ones breaking the guidelines. We know underneath it all the pharma companies are applying massive pressure/incentives to the GP's to overprescribe.  I had a GP once who admitted as much, as if I should feel sorry for the bugger. 

22 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

I’m sorry you feel so infuriated… clearly there simply is no reaching you right now, so I’ll leave it there. 

can you say "disingenuous" ? 

Hello @[kn...].  

I want to make sure you get the support you’ve requested.  Per @[Wi...]’s suggestion to start your own thread on the Benzodiazepine Taper Strategies forum …

Click the link below. When the forum page opens, click the ‘Start new topic’ button in the upper right corner.

https://benzobuddies.org/forum/120-benzodiazepine-taper-strategies/

If you need assistance with copying your request for assistance to your new thread, let us know!

• Like 1

@ wu wei. i apologize for my mistake. i have corrected it. my logic still remains the same. billions is not trillions. and if they are making billions, a settlement in the billions is in no way a trifle to them. 

Another problem we all have myself included is we have been programed to listen to the "authorities" our entire life. The doctor prescribing has info from the drug rep who is parroting what the manufacture is telling him or her. They are commission sales people trying to make a living like everyone else. Most doctors are just the "useful idiots" for lack of better words that administer the poison. They don't even know what they are actually prescribing and believe they are doing the correct thing. We should have read benzo buddies before filling the first prescription. Some of the blame falls on the guy or girl in the mirror. My doctors have been trying to put me on BP meds since my 20's. Every one he gave me caused side effects that were intolerable. My GP told me I had to find a drug my body could tolerate. Sounds like a cure?? Been going to the gym for 30 years with no issues. My GP had a heart attack in his 50's. The lesson is they really don't know all that much. Talk to the barber. They hear every horror story etc.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

My feeling is we tackle our prescribers first as they are the ones breaking the guidelines. We know underneath it all the pharma companies are applying massive pressure/incentives to the GP's to overprescribe.  I had a GP once who admitted as much, as if I should feel sorry for the bugger. 

Well put @[WU...]  the GPs are the prescribers giving us this stuff often without informed consent, with any guidance or for the actual illness we present ourselves with. It’s a power trip mostly - Dr to patient. 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, [[W...] said:

@[...]  Here's a list of the biggest pharma companies with their revenue for 2022 with Pfizer at the top on 100. 33 billion so I don't know where you got 22 billion from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_biomedical_companies_by_revenue

Its quite a long list and doesn't include companies with less than 10 billion. 

How do you suggest we go about claiming compensation in the current state we are in ? I have no surplus energy for anything other than getting through to the next day.  

Hi wu wei, I'm looking into a class action suit. But going in a different direction. You can find my post on chewing the fat, theres not much there. As far as the GP involvement in prescribing these meds, i.know that mine is an older man who had no clue of how bad benzos are. I didn't know when I went to him to put me back on them either. Yes many probably know something about the damage they cause but more I think don't at least in America at least they didn't until there was a lawsuit and the Supreme Court found that a company cannot be held liable for failure to WARN! So it was tossed.

There were in my opinion many errors by the litigators in their approach to sue and missed an opportunity to win their case. 

I'm not excusing those doctors who know good and well how dangerous these drugs are and yes they should make it their business to know. But it's important to remember, the pharma companies absolutely know what they've built, an evil empire that destroys lives to say the least.  They are the ones who need to be held responsible for their greed and their actions. Not failure to warn, no failure to be a decent human being and company that instead are like a drug pusher who will sell anything to make a buck knowing the consequences to their buyers. Negligence, pure Negligence and greed. So now what?

They need to develop a long lasting antagonist to help people to quickly get off their product, to provide it free of cost, to pay for medical bills i and others incurred over time and for those who are damaged for life, compensation! I'm more interested in a solution than money, it will do me no good. 

If I can manage to handle the stress of dealing with the right legal minds I will until I die push for this.

There have been successful class action cases fir benzo damage, but they are private parties with many signed on.

These are the attorneys who could get the ball rolling, at least to point me in the right direction. I have found a few already.

We'll see how I feel next week as to whether I'm ready for such an undertaking.

If u want to be involved and live in the US, let me know on chewing the fat!

Thanks for the link wu wei,

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections

3 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Well put @[WU...]  the GPs are the prescribers giving us this stuff often without informed consent, with any guidance or for the actual illness we present ourselves with. It’s a power trip mostly - Dr to patient. 

Hmm, interesting. Well I guess they need to be held accountable too!

• Like 1