Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone Have Anticipatory Anxiety???

3 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I try not to catastrophize but even a lot of the success stories on here are frightening to me. 

I am learning to avoid those, as they do seem to make my symptoms worse at times....I like tho the discussions that make me feel not so alone.  I mean, I am 52 and I am NOT going to suffer for another 10-20 years and miss out....I am determined to find a way to feel better.  Time may be the answer but time is something we are not promised and I missed enough already.  So I am not going to ignore what is happening physically.  What if I only have five years left?  Do I want to spend it cowering and hiding?  Nope...so I am excited that A).  We are dealing with the physical stuff (we can't assume that withdrawals are the only health condition we will ever have and B).  I am grateful for a second PSYCH opinion because she is more specialized and I definitely want these Benzos GONE!!!....I am also not deluding myself....I have had 52 years of trauma (Benzos do cause trauma as well IMO)...so I may indeed need something at this point....but first I am ruling out all physical conditions that are treatable.  I know I have underlying issues and need to deal with those.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

I agree.........we are looking at if I may have taken a silent stroke....I remember the exact day I woke up in a panic, not really knowing where I was or what was happening, everything seemed distorted somehow.  I called my Psychiatrist freaking when I should have gone to the hospital.  But yes I think the meds are a big contributor for sure.

Can’t keep up….& anticipating replies!!!!

so sorry if that was actually a silent stroke. So many physical & psychological things interrelate. This thread is enormously beneficial to compare similar stuff that is going on with this anxiety - whatever form it takes. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

This thread is enormously beneficial to compare similar stuff that is going on with this anxiety - whatever form it takes. 

Yes I was terrified when I first experienced Anticipatory Anxiety ....it paralyzed me but now I am telling myself I don't even know what tomorrow will bring.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [[D...] said:

I am learning to avoid those, as they do seem to make my symptoms worse at times....I like tho the discussions that make me feel not so alone.  I mean, I am 52 and I am NOT going to suffer for another 10-20 years and miss out....I am determined to find a way to feel better.  Time may be the answer but time is something we are not promised and I missed enough already.  So I am not going to ignore what is happening physically.  What if I only have five years left?  Do I want to spend it cowering and hiding?  Nope...so I am excited that A).  We are dealing with the physical stuff (we can't assume that withdrawals are the only health condition we will ever have and B).  I am grateful for a second PSYCH opinion because she is more specialized and I definitely want these Benzos GONE!!!....I am also not deluding myself....I have had 52 years of trauma (Benzos do cause trauma as well IMO)...so I may indeed need something at this point....but first I am ruling out all physical conditions that are treatable.  I know I have underlying issues and need to deal with those.  

Me too Darlene! 

Just made a list fir my new doctor.  Health problems,  referrals I need, tests I need, allergies I have including foods. Medical history etc. It's time to get to the bottom of my health concerns. If for any other reason than peace of mind. I too am tired of sitting around waiting to finish this benzo withdrawal so I'm going to get busy. Need referrals,  tests etc. What are we waiting for anyway? Yes it's hard getting around with symptoms but sitting at home doing nothing is worse, only adds to the stress of always wondering what the heck is wrong with my health since going before benzos. Doctors who never addressed them in the past.  Here's a pill, take this!  No, no more, I went off all meds 3 yrs ago and I won't go back! 

I'm glad to hear u are doing the same Darlene, I hope u get the answers and ways to resolve any health problems you might find, let's hope we find nothing ok!

This topic of anticipation and anxiety,  not knowing,  always wondering about our health causes me this anticipatory anxiety, but I've had that alot since taking benzo, not before. It causes irritability, agitation and I get so aggravated at the smallest things. Not like me at all! My patience is thin. I am learning how to respond to anything that may cause me irritability etc so I catch myself as much as possible before it's gets out of hand.  It's working! Takes work and being on top of your mind but it will be helpful for my health in the end. Stress is the result of this anticipatory anxiety for me!

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections
  • Like 1

I've never had anxiety my whole life EVER until prescribed a benzo for sleep.  I had interdose withdrawal almost immediately but I didn't know that's what it was then.  If I would have known it was the medication, I would have stopped immediately.  Somehow, by the third month, I found BenzoBuddies and learned what was happening. Almost 9 years later since my last crumb of a total of 85 pills from start to taper, I am in my 6th setback - the 11th month - with constant, nonstop anxiety, anhedonia and multiple other symptoms as if I am withdrawing all over again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@[Ne...]- that is exactly what happened to me. Started on klonopin for sleep for 3 months and started getting more and more anxiety. I am now working my way off on valium as I could not taper the klonopin. 

I am sorry to hear that 9 years later you are in a setback.  That must be so discouraging.  But, at least you are off this horrible stuff.

6 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

I've never had anxiety my whole life EVER until prescribed a benzo for sleep.  I had interdose withdrawal almost immediately but I didn't know that's what it was then.  If I would have known it was the medication, I would have stopped immediately.  Somehow, by the third month, I found BenzoBuddies and learned what was happening. Almost 9 years later since my last crumb of a total of 85 pills from start to taper, I am in my 6th setback - the 11th month - with constant, nonstop anxiety, anhedonia and multiple other symptoms as if I am withdrawing all over again.

Om so sorry  neverme. It will end, it will one day stop and never return!

Ns

4 hours ago, [[K...] said:

it’s that fight or flight mode ! 

I am in all 4...fight/flight/fawn/and freeze but recognizing it is the fist step :)  I think therapy will finally help me now as I take the next step in my life.  One thing that this whole experience has done for me with the intrusive thoughts is to make me look deep within myself and to own all the mistakes I made.  Now I have to forgive myself, somehow and learn from them and grow as a person.  Maybe that is the lesson I needed.  I just feel this is all happening for a reason.  None of us knows what tomorrow will bring but I have faith and the the regret, guilt and shame will make me a better person going forward.  LOL a little bit of anticipatory anxiety keeping in as I think about how to move forward lol

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

akes work and being on top of your mind but it will be helpful for my health in the end. Stress is the result of this anticipatory anxiety for me!

Well said!  And I agree!  I can see the light....and that at least is promising :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

I am in my 6th setback - the 11th month - with constant, nonstop anxiety, anhedonia and multiple other symptoms as if I am withdrawing all over again.

So sorry you are still struggling.  I do hope you get some relief soon.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[n...] said:

with constant, nonstop anxiety, anhedonia and multiple other symptoms as if I am withdrawing all over again.

I have realized that Anhedonia started for me before Benzos.......the connection there was Anemia...and now I have Thyroid Problems which also can cause anemia.  It is crazy how physical conditions can cause this too.  I talked with 2 of my sisters who have Thyroid Problems ..... and they experience some anhedonia too...tho not to the extent that I am bc of Benzos.  Looking through my notes, my Anhedonia and Depersonalization?Derealization was very bad when my blood pressure was low 80-90s/40-50s.  When it's higher these sensations are not as bad.  Of course, it is all exasperated by those dang benzos.

25 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

So sorry you are still struggling.  I do hope you get some relief soon.  

26 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

I am in my 6th setback - the 11th month - with constant, nonstop anxiety, anhedonia and multiple other symptoms as if I am withdrawing all over again.

Darlene. I know it's crazy. When my sodium is low it's bad. But when I get enough sodium it's worse! Don't quite know how to handle that. I have to keep a ck on my sodium, I ca. Have a seizure if it gets too low but it's hard to know except for how I feel. But yes, preconditions make me feel worse too. Gonna get everything checked out and deal with it as it comes. 

Gotta go eat, been staying off line mostly today.

I'll talk to u soo. Though ok

Take care

Ns

44 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Darlene. I know it's crazy. When my sodium is low it's bad. But when I get enough sodium it's worse! Don't quite know how to handle that. I have to keep a ck on my sodium, I ca. Have a seizure if it gets too low but it's hard to know except for how I feel. But yes, preconditions make me feel worse too. Gonna get everything checked out and deal with it as it comes. 

Gotta go eat, been staying off line mostly today.

I'll talk to u soo. Though ok

Take care

Ns

I am praying that everything turns out well :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, [[n...] said:

Darlene. I know it's crazy. When my sodium is low it's bad. But when I get enough sodium it's worse! Don't quite know how to handle that. I have to keep a ck on my sodium, I ca.

Potassium and sodium check each other.  But be careful with too much potassium if you're on an ACE inhibitor or any other medication that has hyperkalemia as side-effect.

Staying hydrated and some exercise also helps with excess sodium.  We lose so much of it via sweak that beverages like Gatorage are used to replenish it.

• Like 1

@[Da...] I see you're strugging a lot but I admire that even in the hardest times you make the effort to write and express yourself impeccably.

Edited by [ve...]

On 20/01/2024 at 06:37, [[v...] said:

@[Da...] I see you're strugging a lot but I admire that even in the hardest times you make the effort to write and express yourself impeccably.

TY....how are you doing?

On 18/01/2024 at 17:24, [[K...] said:

@[Da...]@[Go...]@[WU...] is this because of benzo? Is this a thing? Did you have this b4 benzo? I recognise this fretting/damn awful anticipation in myself 

Sorry I just saw this...yes this is bc of the Benzos...has to be...never experienced anything like it.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2024 at 18:23, [[K...] said:

Similar. I don’t quite live in the moment. Stress about the past & pre-existing tendency to worry about the future! So this anticipation anxiety is another challenging thing to contend with. At least it has a name. Thought I was alone/going mad until this topic. 

you are definitely not going mad!  It's like a spin top that won't stop

• Like 1

15 hours ago, [[D...] said:

TY....how are you doing?

I had to reinstate because of high bp and I need beta-blockers if I really have to taper.  I don't regret attempting it though.  I also have to travel for work and don't have time for this.  Don't want to mess with the stability that giving up booze gave me.

If I have to take it until I'm older I will, but I won't suffer needlessly in the best part of my life.

8 hours ago, [[v...] said:

I had to reinstate because of high bp and I need beta-blockers if I really have to taper.  I don't regret attempting it though.  I also have to travel for work and don't have time for this.  Don't want to mess with the stability that giving up booze gave me.

If I have to take it until I'm older I will, but I won't suffer needlessly in the best part of my life.

You got to do what is best for you, I think it is awesome that you are recognizing that!!!  Good Luck and am soooooo happy you are doing this.  I would make the same choice if they were working for to be honest.