Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone Have Anticipatory Anxiety???

I thought I would be a short term user of klonopin for insomnia but was not able to taper off of it and am now on valium taper. I developed anticipatory anxiety while taking it. I never had anxiety about things like this before.  I struggle with anticipatory anxiety related to taper and how I will feel. I worry about being able to continue to work and parent. I worried my way through the holidays and sort of faked my way through it for my kids' sake. I am already worried about summer as I don't feel like I can plan a vacation for my kids. I even worry about how I will handle when a loved one passes and would have to travel to a funeral. Its completely nuts and I was not at all like this before starting klonopin in 2023 so I know it is the medication.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[w...] said:

Sugar not bothered me lately. I wonder why?

Widesky. Be careful. It stopped bothering me for a while too, i ate donuts, chocolate, drank boost for nutrition but then it hit me like a tank!

It snuck up on me. The symptoms were terrible,I just remember the anxiety and panic attacks I had while eating my last donut!

Taje care

Ns

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

I thought I would be a short term user of klonopin for insomnia but was not able to taper off of it and am now on valium taper. I developed anticipatory anxiety while taking it. I never had anxiety about things like this before.  I struggle with anticipatory anxiety related to taper and how I will feel. I worry about being able to continue to work and parent. I worried my way through the holidays and sort of faked my way through it for my kids' sake. I am already worried about summer as I don't feel like I can plan a vacation for my kids. I even worry about how I will handle when a loved one passes and would have to travel to a funeral. Its completely nuts and I was not at all like this before starting klonopin in 2023 so I know it is the medication.

Kozmo9, hi, it's really important that you try not to focus on catastrophisizing. Negative thinking Is the enemy. Try thankful and gratefulness. Think of how grateful you are for your family, your shelter, food, water etc. Think more about how it could be worse like in 3rd world countries. That could be us right? So use your energy for positive thoughts instead of negative things. Try not to use words like I'm afraid, I'm scared, I worry etc, all negative words become part of our vocabulary and we are what we eat. We all do this, but it only makes us miserable. So I empathize with you, I did it and sometimes it slips  back in and I have to stop myself and say nope, we're not going there,  I can walk, talk, I love my family, I'm grateful for lunch today. And so on.

Retrain your brain, set your mind, make up your mind, remember your children are watching, it's not easy but u can do this. I know your family understands your suffering, and that's just a fact, but take some time and do yourself some good healing stuff, think positive things tomorrow, give it a try ok. You'll see, your going to feel better.

Have a good night

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

I worried my way through the holidays and sort of faked my way through it for my kids' sake. I am already worried about summer as I don't feel like I can plan a vacation for my kids. I even worry about how I will handle when a loved one passes and would have to travel to a funeral. Its completely nuts and I was not at all like this before starting klonopin in 2023 so I know it is the medication.

I feel all of those things.  And it's crushing to think of it...I can't plan anything either.

7 hours ago, [[D...] said:

You are not alone....lol I have a CBT workbook but when I went through the assessments and checked off every box for every condition, I just gave up!  That was where I found the name to what I am experiencing!  CBT does't touch this!

@[Da...] indebted to you for highlighting Anticipatory anxiety & starting this topic. Seems a % of us experience this. It can be so draining & leaves considerable fatigue - well it does for me alongside fear & agoraphobia that has cropped us as well. All part of the brain recalibrating I guess. 

• Like 1

Dr Jennifer leigh video helped some of my family and friends. 

I wish good healing to everyone 🍀

go to: www.benzowithdrawalhelp.com

and look for the video- What we wish friends and family knew about Benzo 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, [[n...] said:

Kozmo9, hi, it's really important that you try not to focus on catastrophisizing. Negative thinking Is the enemy. Try thankful and gratefulness. Think of how grateful you are for your family, your shelter, food, water etc. Think more about how it could be worse like in 3rd world countries. That could be us right? So use your energy for positive thoughts instead of negative things. Try not to use words like I'm afraid, I'm scared, I worry etc, all negative words become part of our vocabulary and we are what we eat. We all do this, but it only makes us miserable. So I empathize with you, I did it and sometimes it slips  back in and I have to stop myself and say nope, we're not going there,  I can walk, talk, I love my family, I'm grateful for lunch today. And so on.

Retrain your brain, set your mind, make up your mind, remember your children are watching, it's not easy but u can do this. I know your family understands your suffering, and that's just a fact, but take some time and do yourself some good healing stuff, think positive things tomorrow, give it a try ok. You'll see, your going to feel better.

Have a good night

Ns

I am grateful for what I have and do positive affirmations, sleep meditation.   I have a lot of pressure on me as single parent and sole breadwinner.  I think if I didn't have to work and could rely on a spouse or parent (or retire ), I would be less anxious and less depressed. I try not to catastrophize but even a lot of the success stories on here are frightening to me. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

I am grateful for what I have and do positive affirmations, sleep meditation.   I have a lot of pressure on me as single parent and sole breadwinner.  I think if I didn't have to work and could rely on a spouse or parent (or retire ), I would be less anxious and less depressed. I try not to catastrophize but even a lot of the success stories on here are frightening to me. 

The topic is anticipatory anxiety. Identifying it, making sense of it & sharing our experiences is so valuable. We are unique, all circumstances are relative to one’s own individual difficulties. Take care & use bits on this supportive space that help you, nurture & don’t cause fear. 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, [[K...] said:

It can be so draining & leaves considerable fatigue - well it does for me alongside fear & agoraphobia that has cropped us as well.

Agorophobia ARRGH, how I cannot dismiss environmental factors that are contributing to this

@[Da...] What does your agoraphobia feel like?  In other words, is there panic and fear when you try to do something or go somewhere?

@[Da...]I have both anticipatory anxiety and social phobia/(agoraphobia), these have been my main symptoms next to the physical ones.

I have this feeling of electric fear in my chest/body, there is no other way to describe it. It has been awfully strong. With anticipatory anxiety I ruminate about something that is going to happen, over and over, causing myself much distress. I noticed recently that I should/can really stop doing this, for the first time in many moths. /I have been really sick thb/.

I really hope it is getting better. I am trying to do exposure every day, but I know many people don't believe in that. I myself have questions, but I do notice the changes happening. So, I am doing it further, as I have nothing to loose. It has been really really hard, but I am trying to push it.

@[Go...] Congrats on driving the car, I remember how happy I was for you when I read it, I think about it often :) Hang in there Buddy

(ps.: Every person and each withdrawal seems to be different, other approaches work for us.) 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 14:56, [[G...] said:

What does your agoraphobia feel like?

Sorry I deleted my response as it wasn't kind and that is not who I want to be.

Edited by [Da...]

19 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

I really hope it is getting better. I am trying to do exposure every day, but I know many people don't believe in that. I myself have questions, but I do notice the changes happening. So, I am doing it further, as I have nothing to loose. It has been really really hard, but I am trying to push it.

Keep pushing....I am sure you have a great support and people who understand and support you!  I think I will be fine when I leave this environment and take my own power back.  I am Day 15 of a 1mg cut from Clonazepam and am feeling so good!!!  I have not had spasms in 3 days.  Last night I had chest and back pain...and high blood pressure as well as high HR....normally I have low blood pressure so not sure why it's fluctuating so much!

40 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

@[Da...] What does your agoraphobia feel like?  In other words, is there panic and fear when you try to do something or go somewhere?

I think it's a protective response for me......it's safer to just stay home...also my case is different bc who I am surrounded by.  Every time I leave this town for an appointment I feel relief but then my symptoms get worse when we come back.  So I don't want to even get in the car until I know I'll be leaving here for the last time.

@[Da...] Looking back now, I have noticed that these symptoms, at least for me are definitely connected to over rapid reduction/cessation. When I crashed I could not leave the house, it has gotten way way worse. I am trying to crawl out of that hole right now. I also got really irritable, I was angry towards family members, this has been too a withdrawal symptom. I should have known better, but these were signs of my nervous system being out of control. But it was the benzo injury happening without me knowing it, I just did not realize it.

I truly hope your situation will resolve, really. I hope you will be able to continue your journey in a calm, relaxed environment without risking to exacerbate your symptoms. 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 14:12, [[K...] said:

fight or flight mode !

Edited by [Da...]

On 19/01/2024 at 15:46, [[R...] said:

@[Da...] Looking back now, I have noticed that these symptoms, at least for me are definitely connected to over rapid reduction/cessation. When I crashed I could not leave the house, it has gotten way way worse. I am trying to crawl out of that hole right now. I also got really irritable, I was angry towards family members, this has been too a withdrawal symptom. I should have known better, but these were signs of my nervous system being out of control. But it was the benzo injury happening without me knowing it, I just did not realize it.

I truly hope your situation will resolve, really. I hope you will be able to continue your journey in a calm, relaxed environment without risking to exacerbate your symptoms. 

Edited by [Da...]
  • Like 1

@[Re...] hi is the chest fear always anticipatory   or do you ever just wake up with it?  By the way I had social phobia all my life when I was well and drug free, and it doesn't feel like that, so maybe it's more just the withdrawal and not really social phobia for you?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

definitely connected to over rapid reduction/cessation

for me I think the slow tapers are worse...maybe has something to do with metabolism.....I stopped Effexor, risperadal, Wellbutrin, zoloft...and a bunch more cold turkey.  We are all so different hey.  That being said I have no idea what one day is going to be from the next and I am still doing 1MG a day.

@[Si...] The electric chest pain and anticipatory anxiety go almost hand in hand, it is definitely withdrawal related. I have never felt anything of the sort. 

@[Da...] Of course we are all different, I just remember myself how impatient I was to get off the xanax (4,5 mg) and I see the symptoms I have had (not realizing then how much trouble I really was in...).

(I did a 3 month taper and I did duloxetine parallel)...

I would really feel awful if it happened to anyone else. 

On 19/01/2024 at 15:48, [[S...] said:

@[Re...] hi is the chest fear always anticipatory   or do you ever just wake up with it?  By the way I had social phobia all my life when I was well and drug free, and it doesn't feel like that, so maybe it's more just the withdrawal and not really social phobia for you?

Edited by [Da...]

Can I just add to the mix I feel huge uncertainty. I think meds somehow increase this massively so it leads to agoraphobia. Just a theory 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

The electric chest pain

I don't feel any electricity.....but last night I thought I was having a heart attack for sure even though I was calm.  But I do have other medical conditions that have been neglected because I was in such a deep hole.  I talked with my therapist and we know my situation is a contributing factor.  After my MRI, even my Psychiatrist is worried.  He is sending me for a second opinion on my MH and meds and I didn't even have to ask lol......I am not bothering trying to convince him anymore about withdrawals as it is pointless but I am definitely up for a second opinion!

5 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

I think meds somehow increase this massively so it leads to agoraphobia. Just a theory 

I agree.........we are looking at if I may have taken a silent stroke....I remember the exact day I woke up in a panic, not really knowing where I was or what was happening, everything seemed distorted somehow.  I called my Psychiatrist freaking when I should have gone to the hospital.  But yes I think the meds are a big contributor for sure.

• Like 2