Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Sublingual drugs must be the worst

Hi, I am a long term lorazepam sublingual user (1mg at noon, 0.5mg afternoon and 1.5mg at night) and I have come to conclusion that I need to switch to regular tablets FIRST to be able to start on my tapering. It’s been always so scary to try the Ativan tablets because I’ve always ended up with some really terrifying and intense symptoms at night (as if I am withdrawing from my short acting drug). After stretching the idea for a year now, and getting more and more sick, I’ve finally decided again to try it. At the end of the day tolerance has been building and longer I delay this harder it’s going to get for me to start my tapering.

So I took my afternoon dose as a tablet instead of sublingual, and 6 hours after the dose I’ve had super scary head sensations that I can’t even describe. It felt buzzy, pressuring, and I just wanted to crawl out of my skin. Extremely restless internally and just feel waves of unwell I can’t handle it.  I feel like I can’t tolerate whatever is going on  is it as though I missed a dose? Does my body not register these as the same? I feel trapped if I can’t tolerate it because I’ve failed every attempt at making a change towards getting off and I’m so unwell as it is.

It’s already so hard to switch from sublinguals to regular tablets to begin with, let alone starting the actual tapering process with the tablets.. but I honestly don’t know how I can figure this out. Really need to hear from people who have made it through similar experiences. Thanks.

Edited by [ge...]
  • Like 1

Following. I have the same problem. Except I am taking orally disintegrating clonazepam tablets. Intetested in what others have to say. I really wish I had understood this from the beginning. But, there must be others who have figured this out. Let's hope someone here has experience with this.

• Like 1

Hi @[An...] are you having trouble tapering from the disintegrating tablets or are you trying to switch over to oral tablets and having trouble? I would like to know more about your situation and experience with this. 

I feel like I am fully stuck and unable to proceed to taper because I can’t tolerate switching and I also attempted to taper from the sublinguals and it sent me in horrible withdrawals (because they’re not designed to be split). The more that time passes, the more sick and sensitized I become so it’s just starting from a worse point for me. 

I really hope someone can relate and share their experience here too. It’s been hard for me to find answers to this problem. 

Hi @[ge...]. I am having trouble switching from orally disintegrating tablets to a compounded capsule. I got my afternooon dose switched out about 18 months ago. That wasn't so bad. But, when I attempted the morning dose, I had issues similar to what you describe. I had to quickly switch back. So, right now I am just tapering my afternoon dose using a compounded capsule. The morning and evening doses are still the orally disintegrating tablets.

I am pretty perturbed by this conundrum, too. 

Really hope we can find a way to taper these. There have got to be others who have gone through this.

Hello @[An...].  If you’re up for it, let’s do some troubleshooting.

When you use the clonazepam Orally Disintegrating Tablets (ODTs) do you place them under your tongue or on your tongue?  

What is the compounder using as the source of the active ingredient in your capsules - clonazepam tablets, clonazepam ODTs, or bulk powder?  If regular tablets or ODTs are being used, are these from the same manufacturer you’ve used before?

Hi @[Li...]. Thank you so much for your help. This feels really worrying, and I'm really grateful for your input here. I take 0.25 mg ODT morning and evening. On the tongue, not under. It dissolves very quickly, maybe within 20 seconds or even less.

My afternoon dose is made from bulk powder. I am only tapering the afternoon dose. I'm currently at 0.189mg for that dose. I decrease 0.003mg every two weeks aiming to try to increase to every week if tolerated. 

Again, thank you so much for your help.

You’re welcome @[An...].

Are there other ingredients in the compounded capsules?  If so, what?  Have you had issues with any of these in the past?

Can you tell us more about what you experienced when you switched from the ODTs to the compounded capsules?  What differences did you notice when you changed dosage forms?

Can you fill us in on your recent taper taper history?  Your History tab indicates that between August 2022 to August 2023 you decreased your total daily dose (TDD) from 0.75mg to 0.704mg.  What was your TDD on Sept 1, Oct 1, Nov 1,  Dec 1, and Jan 1 2024?

Are you tolerating the ODTs ok? 

Are you taking any other psychiatric meds?  Supplements?  If so, have you checked for interactions among and between these substances and clonazepam?

@[ge...] My apologies for hijacking your thread.  

@[An...] Do you have a thread in the Taper Strategies forum?  If so, may I ask one of the admins to move the posts about your case there?

Thanks so much @[Li...]. Sorry, I don't have a taper thread yet. I know I should have started one, but am dealing with overwhelm from the taper and getting testing done for other possible medical issues. Although, I believe the majority of the stuff is from benzo tolerance/BIND.

I really never have been ok with the ODT clonazepam. An ill informed doctor switched me overnight from ativan pill form to clonazepam ODTs. I was not in favor of this, but she said since I wanted to taper this is what she could offer. Take it or leave it. I have only declined on the clonazepam ODTs. Never stabilized.

I am not on any other meds. However I do take digestive enzymes with meals. 

I have been terrible about recording dosage reductions. But I am now at a total of 0.689mg. I was reducing by .003mg per month and have stepped it up to .003 every 2 weeks.

My switch from ODT to compounded capsule for the afternoon dose 18 months ago was ok. However when I tried to swap out the morning dose (one month after the afternoon switch) I awoke that night with auditory hallucinations and stabbing sensations in my legs. Quick onset. Never had those two symptoms before or since. 

But, now I need to figure out how to make the switch without that happening again. I do think I should have gone straight to a compound and never taken the ODTs. But that's way in the past now. My doctor was very pushy and wouldn't allow me time to research options.

Again, I'm so very grateful for your help and knowledge. Many thanks.

@[An...] 

Per your History, your body and nervous system have suffered multiple hits.  First, a 50% decrease of lorazepam and reinstatement in April 2021 after four months use.  Second, an abrupt switch from 1mg of lorazepam to 0.5mg of clonazepam in July 2021.  Third, covid in December 2021.  Fourth, frequent illnesses due to ‘kid bugs’ during the 2022-23 and current school year.

This causes me to wonder if the problems you’ve encountered with reducing your dose are due more to a highly sensitized/destabilized nervous system than to dosage form (i.e. ODTs vs compounded capsules).  Your thoughts?

PS To start your own thread on the Benzodiazepine Taper Strategies forum …

Click the link below. When the forum page opens, click the ‘Start new topic’ button in the upper right corner.

https://benzobuddies.org/forum/120-benzodiazepine-taper-strategies/

• Like 1

Yes, @[Li...], I very much believe a dysregulated nervous system is at play here. My doctor does as well. She is having me do vagal exercises to bring my body out of sympathetic mode. I am trying to stick with meditation and breath work as well. 

All of the factors you mentioned have been significant hits to my cns. And one very big one I forgot to mention, a high dose of progesterone in October of 2021 prescribed by a GP. This was ridiculously destabilizing and rocked my cns badly. Terrible experience. 

So, yes, I very much agree with your assessment. And I really appreciate the time you took to read my profile and put these pieces together.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, [[g...] said:

Hi, I am a long term lorazepam sublingual user (1mg at noon, 0.5mg afternoon and 1.5mg at night) and I have come to conclusion that I need to switch to regular tablets FIRST to be able to start on my tapering. It’s been always so scary to try the Ativan tablets because I’ve always ended up with some really terrifying and intense symptoms at night (as if I am withdrawing from my short acting drug). After stretching the idea for a year now, and getting more and more sick, I’ve finally decided again to try it. At the end of the day tolerance has been building and longer I delay this harder it’s going to get for me to start my tapering.

So I took my afternoon dose as a tablet instead of sublingual, and 6 hours after the dose I’ve had super scary head sensations that I can’t even describe. It felt buzzy, pressuring, and I just wanted to crawl out of my skin. Extremely restless internally and just feel waves of unwell I can’t handle it.  I feel like I can’t tolerate whatever is going on  is it as though I missed a dose? Does my body not register these as the same? I feel trapped if I can’t tolerate it because I’ve failed every attempt at making a change towards getting off and I’m so unwell as it is.

It’s already so hard to switch from sublinguals to regular tablets to begin with, let alone starting the actual tapering process with the tablets.. but I honestly don’t know how I can figure this out. Really need to hear from people who have made it through similar experiences. Thanks.

Hi geminidivine, I'm so sorry your going thru this! Listen, your going to be OK, I know you're scared right now. You're in withdrawal and your symptoms sound pretty normal when they get intense. Because you are focusing in these symptoms they usually escalate. 

You need to reach out to jelly belly, pamster, brighterday, and there are others. Usually they see your post and respond pretty fast. When I quote this post hopefully it will be seen by one of them so they can help u with your taper. 

In the meantime, try not to panic, symptoms focus or think negatively. I know it's very difficult but it's very important, it will help calm u and your symptoms down.

Post again if you don't hear back ok. I'll do the same. 

So sorry for what your going thru.  

Many here will reach out as well to offer support.  Everyone is pretty great about that. 

Hang in there ok

I'll check back tomorrow 

Ns

• Like 2

Hi its me again, go to your sign in page up top, you'll see support there. Click on that, make a request for support ok

I hope this helps

Ns

Ho again, just checked support. That's the wrong tab. Go to staff. There's a list there of everyone who ca assist . Sorry about the confusion, I've never requested assistance they just found me.

Hope this helps you

Ns

Staff is under 

Staff is under the browse topic!