Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Withdrawal and Depression Medication

I've been experiencing withdrawal symptoms for a long time and I'm currently tapering off a Benzo. Since I'm also experiencing depression my psychiatrist is recommending an antidepressant. So my question is can antidepressants help when I'm in withdrawal and also tapering? Thanks for any good advice.

If you've never taken antidepressants its a total crapshoot how you will react to them. I take paxil and whenever I make a small increase I experience a raft of symptoms that last for weeks. What I'm trying to say is that adding an AD could compound your suffering before you get relief weeks later. BUT, I've read many, many accounts where people get to the recommended dose with minor or no SX. So, like a lot of things with brain meds, it comes down to individual biochemistry.

My one recommendation is if you go on one, go slow, slow, slow. My experience with psychiatrists is they will say, we want you on 20mg, so start with 10mg this week and 20mg next week. I would advise 2.5mg a week (meaning you'll need to cut and weigh pills). Also some ADs may come in a capsule or be extended-release, neither of which can be cut.

So yeah, nothing is simple, and in the middle of suffering research is required. What a pain.

• Like 1

I was prescribed Mirtazapine because a lower dose (7.5) helps sleeping. It is like a very strong antihistamine, it made me very lethargic, might relaxed me some more. But the downside is the weightgain it caused.

To add something about what mrn said. With AD's 20mg is not twice a good as 10mg. I guess we are talking SSRI's here. even in small amounts, receptors then become more sensitive to serotinine. 5mg can already have +60% effect. SERT occupancy (in the case of Escitalopram). https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Serum-levels-and-SERT-occupancies-after-administration-of-different-single-doses-of_tbl1_6835470

AD's work, but the science behind them is flaud and the possible side effects are quite drastic for most. I've also been using citalopram and escitalopram. 

But I've also read stories about people who used a benzo, xanax for instance and found an SSRI very helpful for anxiety. But that was with PRN use.

Edited by [Hu...]
  • Like 1

Maybe take a gene test to see which works with your particular system. Also I’d recommend starting at a micro-dose. Low and slow. Your system is probably compromised due to benzo w/d so ‘therapeutic’ doses might not be necessary.

Many in benzo w/d are on Remeron, primarily for sleep, but it’s a fast acting a/d with minimal side effects.

Do your research and be your own advocate!!

• Like 1

Good advice, do some research. But I asked in the world we live in today with constant talk of World War 3 , Gaza, cyber attacks, inflation, millions of people entering your country that cannot be housed or fed. I asked you who isn't depressed? Top Spin I told myself 4 years ago, I have no intention of replacing one poisonous pill with another. God bless music 60

• Like 1

20 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Maybe take a gene test 

@[Ma...] may I ask please as not heard of gene tests. What are they? How do people get one? (am in UK) any link to info would be gratefully received. Thanks 🙏 

I did a gene test which showed that My CYP2D6 liver enzymes are produced very slowly, nearly absent. And then you have a real big problem with metabolising a lot of medications, thus more side effects. There are protocols for that. Therapeutic doses are not necessary in that case. 5mg Escitalopram for me is already a lot. But some take up to 30mg

It is very helpful to do a genetest, also for benzo withdrawal or crossing.

https://www.meamedica.com/gb/en/real-world-experiences

I did one in my own country but this organisation I used does them in a lot of countries. Lorazepam and Clonazepam for instance require CYP3A4, but Diazepam requires a lot more enzymes. That is probably why some people can't handle Diazepam, because it has more metabolites and also requires more liver enzymes. It was very insightful to do the test because certain gene expressions also tell you a lot about your character. I got a pretty extensive result from those 2 swabs.

Edited by [Hu...]