Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Decaf coffee

I am currently tapering off ativan. I am at 1.25 mg from 2 mg. On Friday I decided to try drinking decaf coffee and also made a cut down to the 1.25 mg from 1.5. I’m a short term user. I noticed I had anxiety after drinking the coffee but did not care because i’m going through so much and it actually gave me a bit of joy. I am sensitive to caffeine even before benzos but I figured decaf might be ok but I had gotten one of the coffees at a little diner, one at starbucks, and one at a small coffee shop. The first two were what gave me anxiety the small coffee shop didn’t. But that day which was sunday my third day of coffee, all of a sudden my akathisia exploded a few hours after the coffee. I have so many symptoms now such as worse akathisia, extreme agitation, worse insomnia, light and sound sensitivity, total loss of motivation to do anything it feels hard to walk. I also have really bad looping thoughts and songs and flashbacks. I know I made a cut but I really think it’s the coffee that made it this bad (possibly wasn’t decaf from starbucks especially) because i had cut by .5 mg before form the 2 mg and not even experienced this bad of issues. I take .5 mg then .25 mg then .5 mg since friday. i’m supposed to drop by .25 mg a week according to my pysch since i told him i want off of these soon since ive only been on a little time and already have so many issues but im afraid to drop again feeling this horrible that would be in 2-3 days. Im praying this subsides Im dumbfounded by how coffee could cause this to be so horrible but im confident thats what did it.. any estimate on when this will settle down? the akathisia and agitation is unbearable 

Edited by [Br...]

5 hours ago, [[B...] said:

I am currently tapering off ativan. I am at 1.25 mg from 2 mg. On Friday I decided to try drinking decaf coffee and also made a cut down to the 1.25 mg from 1.5. I’m a short term user. I noticed I had anxiety after drinking the coffee but did not care because i’m going through so much and it actually gave me a bit of joy. I am sensitive to caffeine even before benzos but I figured decaf might be ok but I had gotten one of the coffees at a little diner, one at starbucks, and one at a small coffee shop. The first two were what gave me anxiety the small coffee shop didn’t. But that day which was sunday my third day of coffee, all of a sudden my akathisia exploded a few hours after the coffee. I have so many symptoms now such as worse akathisia, extreme agitation, worse insomnia, light and sound sensitivity, total loss of motivation to do anything it feels hard to walk. I also have really bad looping thoughts and songs and flashbacks. I know I made a cut but I really think it’s the coffee that made it this bad (possibly wasn’t decaf from starbucks especially) because i had cut by .5 mg before form the 2 mg and not even experienced this bad of issues. I take .5 mg then .25 mg then .5 mg since friday. i’m supposed to drop by .25 mg a week according to my pysch since i told him i want off of these soon since ive only been on a little time and already have so many issues but im afraid to drop again feeling this horrible that would be in 2-3 days. Im praying this subsides Im dumbfounded by how coffee could cause this to be so horrible but im confident thats what did it.. any estimate on when this will settle down? the akathisia and agitation is unbearable 

BreeB, 

I'm so sorry. It sounds like withdrawal symptoms, I'm having the same ones. The coffee is possible for some of it but it should have already left your system. I had to quit my 2 puffs of smoking 4x per day as it cause so much stimulation that I fell to my knees once back in the house.

My symptoms haven't stabilized since i missed a dose. That was 2 weeks ago. But I have underlying medical issues that I think are causing some of my issues.

You shouldn't cut a dose until u stabilize. I'm right there with you,  I'm not stabilized and I need to get off of these.  I have adverse reaction to benzos so they need to go but I have to hold for now.  I'm waiting on a response from Brighterday or jellybelly or pamster on how to proceed. I hope they respond to you. Maybe post that u need tapering advice,  that might help.

I hope you stabilize soon, I'm so sorry your going thru this.  Try not to focus on your symptoms ok. I know it's hard, I'm in the same boat right now. 

Take care

Ns

4 hours ago, [[v...] said:

Nocebo effect perhaps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocebo

i had no worries about the coffee i didn’t think anything of it actually i was happy to be drinking it and then after my 3rd one a few hours later all these horrible things hit me 

30 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

BreeB, 

I'm so sorry. It sounds like withdrawal symptoms, I'm having the same ones. The coffee is possible for some of it but it should have already left your system. I had to quit my 2 puffs of smoking 4x per day as it cause so much stimulation that I fell to my knees once back in the house.

My symptoms haven't stabilized since i missed a dose. That was 2 weeks ago. But I have underlying medical issues that I think are causing some of my issues.

You shouldn't cut a dose until u stabilize. I'm right there with you,  I'm not stabilized and I need to get off of these.  I have adverse reaction to benzos so they need to go but I have to hold for now.  I'm waiting on a response from Brighterday or jellybelly or pamster on how to proceed. I hope they respond to you. Maybe post that u need tapering advice,  that might help.

I hope you stabilize soon, I'm so sorry your going thru this.  Try not to focus on your symptoms ok. I know it's hard, I'm in the same boat right now. 

Take care

Ns

I’m so sorry too this is seriously the worst thing i could ever imagine. i have bad reactions to the meds too. i also have some health issues that i think complicates my care as well! i hope the best for you too we will get through this. i’m 23 it feels like my life is over i hope it gets better 

• 3 weeks later...

Bo are you? I hope better. Weird things turn on us, those with destablised nervous system. 

In the beginning of my protracted withdrawal i had severe akathisia, i used a double espresso each day to curb the symptoms. It reduced my akathisia by 70-80%. But it did ramp up my anxiety abit. I know it was a atypical reaction to caffeine i had.

But the first 6 months in withdrawal coffee gave me panic anxiety/manic mood. Im not sure i offer you any hope, other than its normal to have all sorts of reaction to caffeine during/after withdrawal.

I wish you the best and hope you eventually get of the drug safely.

Edited by [Le...]