Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

In so much misery . suffering for 7 months only after using for 4 weeks.

I’m at my wits end here . I have already reached out twice here but I’m symptoms seem to be getting more out of hand and intense by the day . What is happening to me ? I’m so confused . I’m considering going to the ER but I went there 5 times last year and keep getting no answers. I have developed new symptoms like air hunger but I just feel like I have the flu x1000?? my spine is burning . My scalp feels tender then has sharp knife pains . Worst symptoms is the damn Hypnic jerks . Went to bed at 2 am last night and was shocked back awake atleast 40’times until 8am.  When I get the jerks though it makes my body feel like it’s paralyzed for 3 seconds . I only used benzo prescribed for 4 weeks months ago but nothing has gotten better . I promise I am not making this up . I don’t want to keep living like this . Someone please offer me some

insight . I am 25 years old but I feel my

life is over . Suicidal thoughts are very prevalent because I don’t want to be in this much pain . I don’t know what to do 

I’ve had a lot of tests done the past few months but my doctor doesn’t want to give me a MRI . I’ve had about everything else from CT scans to EMG. Someone’s I feel like this isn’t benzos and something else is killing me slowly . Does this sound normal to yall ? I don’t know what to do

Edited by [st...]
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wish I could tell you there is a remedy for these symptoms. I know you only took a benzo for a  short time, but don’t forget about the heavy alcohol use. 

Alcohol and benzos have a very similar effect on the brain. 

I wish there was something I could recommend that would work to quickly heal this.

Unfortunately, there is no cure except time. It sucks hearing that, I know.

Do the best you can with nutrition. As far as smoking, does it activate your symptoms at all?

Others have said quitting was just too much for them to handle during withdrawal.

Please be as gentle as you can with yourself. You have enough stress without trying to quit smoking. 

wish I could be more helpful.  

You are young and that in of itself gives you a real advantage to heal fully and completely with time.

just try and make it one day at a time. Today is all we have. It’s not easy my friend. I’m fighting the good fight with you.

is the gabapentin helping at all? How much you taking and for how long?

2 hours ago, [[s...] said:

I’m at my wits end here . I have already reached out twice here but I’m symptoms seem to be getting more out of hand and intense by the day . What is happening to me ? I’m so confused . I’m considering going to the ER but I went there 5 times last year and keep getting no answers. I have developed new symptoms like air hunger but I just feel like I have the flu x1000?? my spine is burning . My scalp feels tender then has sharp knife pains . Worst symptoms is the damn Hypnic jerks . Went to bed at 2 am last night and was shocked back awake atleast 40’times until 8am.  When I get the jerks though it makes my body feel like it’s paralyzed for 3 seconds . I only used benzo prescribed for 4 weeks months ago but nothing has gotten better . I promise I am not making this up . I don’t want to keep living like this . Someone please offer me some

life is over . Suicidal thoughts are very prevalent because I don’t want to be in this much pain . I don’t know what to do 

I’ve had a lot of tests done the past few months but my doctor doesn’t want to give me a MRI . I’ve had about everything else from CT scans to EMG. Someone’s I feel like this isn’t benzos and something else is killing me slowly . Does this sound normal to yall ? I don’t know what to do

It all sounds totally normal to me - you are NOT making up.   I have been there.  But I am also NOT making it up when I say it is temporary - just your nervous system healing from this evil drug.   Trust me. 

Thank you for the words and the support , I’m really needing some sort of community to fight through this . 

I take gabapentin 300mg a day. Been taking it for about 5 months. along with NAD boosters , fish oil , eating salads , no red meat . And moderate excercise every day . Smoking can heighten some symptoms for about 15 minutes but I trade it for the relief of having something in my hands to get through the minutes . I’m trying to cut back . 

• Like 1

I took pregabalin (a gabapentoid) and was given benzos to ‘help’ me get off it.  I feel my nervous system could only really start recovering once I was off all these drugs.  I am almost fine now - don’t worry, you WILL recover, these drugs severely disrupt us but the damage is never permanent.

15 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

Thank you for the words and the support , I’m really needing some sort of community to fight through this . 

I take gabapentin 300mg a day. Been taking it for about 5 months. along with NAD boosters , fish oil , eating salads , no red meat . And moderate excercise every day . Smoking can heighten some symptoms for about 15 minutes but I trade it for the relief of having something in my hands to get through the minutes . I’m trying to cut back . 

Yes, I need support, too.

it take a village. As they say!

That’s great that you can exercise and it sounds like you are somewhat functional. 

Im proud of you 👍🏻 

oh, and gabapentin has a very short half life. I suffered tolerance and interdose withdrawal when I was on it.

Edited by [wi...]

3 hours ago, [[s...] said:

Hello and welcome @[st...].  I'm so sorry you're suffering like this.  What you describe are very normal benzo withdrawal symptoms.  The important thing for you to keep reminding yourself is that these symptoms are temporary and they will ease up and fade away over time.  You will get through this.  It may be one hour at a time but you will keep putting one foot in front of the other and move forward through each day until you are recovered.  You will need to dig deep but you will find strength within you to get through this.

It can be reassuring to see your symptoms described and explained so here's a link I encourage you to look at from the Ashton manual. https://www.benzoinfo.com/ashtonmanual/chapter3/

Self care and acceptance are important tools to giving your body and brain the best conditions for healing.  You'll find a lot of good ideas for coping with symptoms as you explore this site.  Here are a few ideas that can help:

Eating a health diet

Drinking plenty of water

Keeping sugar and caffeine to a minimum

Avoiding alcohol

Moderate exercise in nature everyday (don't push yourself too hard)

Yoga

Deep, slow breathing

Warm baths with Epsom salts 

Reading Success Stories

2 hours ago, [[W...] said:

I took pregabalin (a gabapentoid) and was given benzos to ‘help’ me get off it.  I feel my nervous system could only really start recovering once I was off all these drugs.  I am almost fine now - don’t worry, you WILL recover, these drugs severely disrupt us but the damage is never permanent.

2 hours ago, [[s...] said:

@starmanBB, 

Hi there, sorry your in so much pain! You are experiencing withdrawal symptoms I'm sorry to sat. It's difficult to say the least.  I had to quit smoking because it was such a stimulant that I literally fell on my knee after my last one, I only smoked 3 puffs 4x  day,  didn't matter still made me miserable.  I had to quit!

As for the gabapentin,  I had to quit them, they made me have stinging all over even my head, just felt overall sick from them so I weaned off. It was easier than the benzos but still difficult. I started taking 2 100 mg at a time, then down to 1, until I could go off. I quickly realized that gabapentin and lorazapam don't mix! So now I'm tapering. Almost done but it's a process. 

If your tapering, please be patient with yourself. There are people here who can help u with this. Try not to focus too much on the symptoms. Keep your mind and hands busy, movies, reading, music, anything u enjoy. I watch therapy in a nutshell with Emma on YouTube, she helps with anxiety,  ptsd, trauma and more. There are many things you can utilize to help pass the time.

I'm going to leave a link below for you to check out for when u have symptoms.  This link has a wealth of information and addresses your symptoms so u don't wonder what's happening to u, I promise you the symptoms will be on that link. It helps so much to know what I'm feeling is actually normal for withdrawal.  I hope you'll take advantage it.

I'm just a benzo buddy here, I'm tapering. I. Here and so many others who are ready to listen, offer advice and support.  

I spend many hours here as it helps me to pass the time and hopefully I've helped someone. 

I'm sorry you are going thru it with just one week on these pills, it could be the gabapentin is partially to blame idk.

Try not to drink, smoke, eat sugar, anything that stimulates u, it only makes it harder on u ok

We're all here to talk if u need a friend ok 

Take care now

Chapter 3: Benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, acute & protracted - Benzodiazepine Information Coalition
https://www.benzoinfo.com/ashtonmanual/chapter3/#sensory-hypersensitivity

Ns

4 hours ago, [[s...] said:

Is the NAD boosters oral NAD? If so, don't bother. Oral NAD doesn't really do anything. I used iontophoresis NAD+ to jump last April. Oral NAD doesn't get NAD where you need it. I took gabapentin 300 mg during my taper, I weaned off by dropping 100 mg each month, which is what many others did. I took it at bedtime for sleep. 

All you describe is pretty common with benzo w/d. It will get better. It takes time to heal and recover. I felt my worst after jumping. Acute was hell, but after a month, I saw signs of progress. I just keep focusing on what has improved, rather than what still affects me. Then I see that healing has taken place. 9 months post jump now, around 90% healed.  

1 hour ago, [[m...] said:

i used benzos for two weeks and still suffering two years later.

Hi there, what benzo did u use?

• 2 weeks later...