Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Family is urging me to go to crisis stabilization center, need advice please?

Hi everyone. I’m really struggling. I’m in tolerance from diazepam. If you could check my past posts that would be more helpful as hands are sweaty and clammy and can’t type a lot. 

My family is getting fed up with my anxiety being at an all time high and with me complaining about my symptoms. They think it would be best if I went to a crisis stabilization center so they can help me somehow. 

I did try to go last week, when I went they assigned me an addiction doctor (which scared me as I’m not addicted, but physically dependent) and said they were gonna detox me that night. 

He said the plan will mostly likely be switching my diazepam to Ativan, they don’t carry diazepam there. Then he said there will be a medication added that is used for alcohol withdrawals (didn’t tell me the name.) The food was terrible, almost inedible. They didn’t take my vital signs. The nurse also asked me if I brought my own medication's and I said no as I wasn’t allowed to grab anything from home. 

Them not having diazepam and the medication crossovers sounded really scary to me. I think Ativan has a shorter life than Valium so I wasn’t sure about switching to that or how it’d treat me as I’m already experiencing a myriad of symptoms and in tolerance withdrawal. 

Im finding it extremely hard to be home alone. My fiancé works every day, my mom does too. My palms have been sweating constantly, I have had diarrhea, worried about electrolytes, twitching, tremors, and not being able to eat normally. I mostly rely on ensure shakes. 

Today I see my psychiatrist who denies I’m in withdrawal and decided to updose me from 5 to 15 mg. I’m worried he is going to want to updose again but the medication doesn’t seem to be working for me so I’m not fond of that idea. I’m worried about having to taper off of 15 mg as is. 

I’ve been having physical symptoms that make it scary to be alone. They said that it’d be best for me to go there so I’d be monitored. Any advice or tips? 

My psychiatrist will most likely try to send me there today since I’m still experiencing severe symptoms. He doesn’t know what to do or how to properly taper me. My family believes it’s the only way I’ll get better, they are tired of seeing me suffer and my kids have seen me in this state since November. I want to get better but don’t know if I can handle this myself and may need help or being monitored. Thanks in advance. 

• Sad 1

Sounds like a bad idea to me to be honest. It can work out well for some going to detox. But it can be a disaster for others. You'll have no control of what's being done to you. Thrown a load of drugs that will need tapering and possibly cause other issues, then pushed out the door to fend for yourself.

It's beyond me why they would change you from a long acting benzo like valium to Ativan. It's arse about face and will risk saying they don't know what they're are talking about, so major red flag to me personally.

Psychiatrist at least understands you've hit tolerance. But going up in dose means there's further to come down when and if you hit tolerance again.

For what it's worth and I'm not a doctor, but the only way to go for me would be a controlled taper off. It's probably not going to be easy, but you have control at least 

• Like 11

@[Ha...] hi, thanks for responding. I was thinking the exact same things. Why change from a long acting benzo to a shorter acting one? Seems like even more hell. 

Yes exactly. I don’t want to updose. I know I’ll hit tolerance again and it happened so fast with the 10 mg updose. I’m already disappointed that I have to taper 15 mg. 

I am quite uneducated about a slow, controlled taper. Especially in my situation. I only have pills. I don’t have a jewelry scale or pill cutter. I may need help with this. 

Im afraid to see my psychiatrist again today as he said he will most likely send me there if I haven’t improved. He also denies I’m in withdrawal and thinks it’s an underlying issue. I don’t want him to cut me off of the medication either. I think im going to bring up the black box warning to him today. I will be going to this appointment by myself and am not very good at advocating for myself. 

Edited by [an...]
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, [[a...] said:

@[Ha...] hi, thanks for responding. I was thinking the exact same things. Why change from a long acting benzo to a shorter acting one? Seems like even more hell. 

Yes exactly. I don’t want to updose. I know I’ll hit tolerance again and it happened so fast with the 10 mg updose. I’m already disappointed that I have to taper 15 mg. 

I am quite uneducated about a slow, controlled taper. Especially in my situation. I only have pills. I don’t have a jewelry scale or pill cutter. I may need help with this. 

Im afraid to see my psychiatrist again today as he said he will most likely send me there if I haven’t improved. I don’t want him to cut me off of the medication either. I think im going to bring up the black box warning to him today. I will be going to this appointment by myself and am not very good at advocating for myself. 

How is your psychiatrist? Is he possibly open to supporting you with a taper? Obviously you don't want to get cut off. I was CT and I don't recommend it if you can avoid it. Maybe you could discuss the option with him? Or a better option might be to agree to increase your dose, but taper instead with the help of people here? Try not to get too worked about it all. It's perfectly doable with some support and knowledge.

As I said I'm probably not the best person to ask for taper advice as I was CT, but there's plenty of experience here and people that have been in the same position as you. But from what I've read over the past few years, going slow is best. 10% maximum a month, slow it down if symptoms get too much. Liquid titration I've heard is a good way to go, but as I said I've no personal experience with it. 

Take your time, do some research and figure out how you want to approach it. Ask questions if you need to, there's a wealth of information and experience here to help. Plus support for those bad days 

Edited by [Ha...]
  • Like 4

@[Ha...] my psychiatrist at the moment is thinking that it isn’t withdrawal, but an underlying condition. He asked for me to get blood work done to check my levels and they were normal. My counselor suggested it may be neurological but the main thing is, none of these symptoms were here until the cold turkey of the medication.

My psychiatrist tries to tell me it’s only anxiety/stress. I’m hoping I can somehow convince him it’s not just that. That’s been my biggest issue. 

Not sure if he would work with me on a suitable, slow taper plan. Im afraid to updose. I’m also afraid to let him know I would like to taper as I’m worried he’s going to go too rapid or reduce my dose/supply which isn’t much as is.

I will try to ask him if we can both work together on a slow taper off of the diazepam. I *might* updose but that’s a hard might. I’ll update the post when I come back from my appointment, as I don’t think I’ll agree to going to the facility and will research about tapering. 

Once I do start tapering, I wonder if propranolol would help with my blood pressure, tremors and sweating. I know it’s not suggested to add medications but I’m on sertraline 100 mg (psych prescribed it to me while im in withdrawal) and use cbd oil and melatonin to go to sleep. I know ill have to taper those too but ill wait on tapering the sertraline until i am off of the diazepam. 

I really would rather do this at home. I have to learn how to calm down and handle the symptoms to where I feel like I don’t need someone with me all of the time. If I keep going at the rate I’m going I think my family or spouse may force me into a center as I can’t deal sometimes. 

I’m praying that I have the strength to do this at home. Going to have to research a lot and try coping skills. Thank you once again for your response. I know this is a kind of complicated case. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [[a...] said:

@[Ha...] my psychiatrist at the moment is thinking that it isn’t withdrawal, but an underlying condition. He asked for me to get blood work done to check my levels and they were normal. My counselor suggested it may be neurological but the main thing is, none of these symptoms were here until the cold turkey of the medication.

My psychiatrist tries to tell me it’s only anxiety/stress. I’m hoping I can somehow convince him it’s not just that. That’s been my biggest issue. 

Not sure if he would work with me on a suitable, slow taper plan. Im afraid to updose. I’m also afraid to let him know I would like to taper as I’m worried he’s going to go too rapid or reduce my dose/supply which isn’t much as is.

I will try to ask him if we can both work together on a slow taper off of the diazepam. I *might* updose but that’s a hard might. I’ll update the post when I come back from my appointment, as I don’t think I’ll agree to going to the facility and will research about tapering. 

Once I do start tapering, I wonder if propranolol would help with my blood pressure, tremors and sweating. I know it’s not suggested to add medications but I’m on sertraline 100 mg (psych prescribed it to me while im in withdrawal) and use cbd oil and melatonin to go to sleep. I know ill have to taper those too but ill wait on tapering the sertraline until i am off of the diazepam. 

I really would rather do this at home. I have to learn how to calm down and handle the symptoms to where I feel like I don’t need someone with me all of the time. If I keep going at the rate I’m going I think my family or spouse may force me into a center as I can’t deal sometimes. 

I’m praying that I have the strength to do this at home. Going to have to research a lot and try coping skills. Thank you once again for your response. I know this is a kind of complicated case. 

Ok.. let's slow this down a bit. Sounds like you're getting worked up and there's no need. It's a shit situation, but you'll get through it. 

Let's break it down, I've not read all your previous posts, so sorry for asking you to repeat yourself.

You've cold turkeyed a medication? Was it the valium and you've reinstated? If so it can take a while to stabilise again. If it was another medication then how long ago was it? What was it? Increasing the benzo might not be the answer.

On the subject of the  psychiatrist. Don't worry about him for the moment. If you don't find him supportive then you can find another that's a better fit. Let's put that on the back burner for now. If you need to you can always accept the updose and not actually updose if you don't think it's right (which is something I wish I'd thought of myself) whilst you find another 

Let's get back to the root of your issues now. I'm a little confused without reading all your posts. Is it a CT or tolerance? Neither is particularly good, but it could help to try and pin things down for you 

Edited by [Ha...]
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

@[Ha...] yes I’m very worked up… 

Yes I cold turkey’d the Valium, not by choice. I was kicked from my psychiatrists care and left with 0 refills because I missed a few appointments. 

He started me on 20 mg August 2022. Over the years I’ve brought myself down to 5 and I ran out of my 5 mg dose this November (beginning). I didn’t feel withdrawal symptoms until the 22nd of November. 

I decided to go to my GP to reinstate to hopefully get relief, but it never happened. She put me back on 5mg.

Ended up finally seeing my psych in December and that’s when he updosed me. 5 mg to 15 mg. The 13th I think? The relief didn’t last long, only a week or two and now the symptoms are back full force even while I’m on the 15 mg. 

Im just worried about my psych because i see him today and worried about what he’s gonna say. Usually my mom goes with me but she’s sick with the flu and my fiancé is at work. I’m lost. 

It was a CT at first. I reinstated then updosed and now I feel as if I’ve reached tolerance since I’m having withdrawal symptoms again real bad. I get worried with the sweating and diarrhea because of electrolyte loss but I am sipping on propel and drinking coconut water. 

Im worried about my blood pressure still being high despite taking my medication. Just a few physical symptoms I feel may need medical attention. I wish I was stronger than I am so I can do this at home without anyone around but I get into complete terror and panic attacks. 

2 minutes ago, [[a...] said:

@[Ha...] yes I’m very worked up… 

Yes I cold turkey’d the Valium, not by choice. I was kicked from my psychiatrists care and left with 0 refills because I missed a few appointments. 

He started me on 20 mg August 2022. Over the years I’ve brought myself down to 5 and I ran out of my 5 mg dose this November (beginning). I didn’t feel withdrawal symptoms until the 22nd of November. 

I decided to go to my GP to reinstate to hopefully get relief, but it never happened. She put me back on 5mg.

Ended up finally seeing my psych in December and that’s when he updosed me. 5 mg to 15 mg. The 13th I think? The relief didn’t last long, only a week or two and now the symptoms are back full force even while I’m on the 15 mg. 

Im just worried about my psych because i see him today and worried about what he’s gonna say. Usually my mom goes with me but she’s sick with the flu and my fiancé is at work. I’m lost. 

It was a CT at first. I reinstated then updosed and now I feel as if I’ve reached tolerance since I’m having withdrawal symptoms again real bad. I get worried with the sweating and diarrhea because of electrolyte loss but I am sipping on propel and drinking coconut water. 

Im worried about my blood pressure still being high despite taking my medication. Just a few physical symptoms I feel may need medical attention. I wish I was stronger than I am so I can do this at home without anyone around but I get into complete terror and panic attacks. 

Ah ok. That changes things. My WD from valium kicked in properly after about a month too.

I've been hanging around here a bit too long for my liking but have picked up a thing or 2. That being said I don't know everything, so this is just my take on things.

Reinstatement is best done within a month (I personally tried after 3). After this there's less chance of it being successful. Nobody really knows why. Some theory about the GABA receptors changing is thought to be a possibility. 

When trying to reinstate some find the original dose too much like myself, which I personally think is down to my nervous system being in a hyper state. But that's just a theory of mine

Others trying to reinstate find that they need double of the original dose to find relief. This has been documented somewhere, but not sure exactly where now.

I've heard of people taking a year to stabilise after reinstating, and people that never have. I'm not sure how long the one's that never stabiles waiting however.

Basically it's a very difficult situation you find yourself in, and I understand you feel stuck. But not something you can't get out of. Do you get relief from your symptoms after your dose, or nothing? I personally felt manic when I tried to reinstate. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, [[a...] said:

Ana, please use this link,  give it to your doctor! There is also a letter on that site to give to your doctor.

I sure wouldn't want u to go to a detox. My family tried this on Me. I was already tapering. It hS Bern a strain on our family.

Brighterday, Colin, Pamster and others here can help u with your taper. Please ask for help with this.

If at all possible it would be best for u to do this at home but idk your situation, it's not advisable to take other meds while tapering, for most it complicates things, for some it helps. 

Try not to symptoms focus. Keep your mind and hands busy, watch therapy in a nutshell with Emma on YouTube, 

Do whatever you can to focus on healing, but keep busy. I know it's difficult because we can't be very physically active. I'm in the same boat! But I have help here at home and I'm a spiritual person who leans in God,  read my Bible and watch sermons like Joyce Meyer on YouTube.  These are suggestions, o hope you can utilize some of them to help u.

I will be in prayer for you!

Stay strong!

https://www.benzoinfo.com/ashtonmanual/chapter3/#sensory-hypersensitivity

• Like 2

7 hours ago, [[a...] said:

Ana, please use this link,  give it to your doctor! There is also a letter on that site to give to your doctor.

I sure wouldn't want u to go to a detox. My family tried this on Me. I was already tapering. It hS Bern a strain on our family.

Brighterday, Colin, Pamster and others here can help u with your taper. Please ask for help with this.

If at all possible it would be best for u to do this at home but idk your situation, it's not advisable to take other meds while tapering, for most it complicates things, for some it helps. 

Try not to symptoms focus. Keep your mind and hands busy, watch therapy in a nutshell with Emma on YouTube, 

Do whatever you can to focus on healing, but keep busy. I know it's difficult because we can't be very physically active. I'm in the same boat! But I have help here at home and I'm a spiritual person who leans in God,  read my Bible and watch sermons like Joyce Meyer on YouTube.  These are suggestions, o hope you can utilize some of them to help u.

I will be in prayer for you!

Stay strong!

https://www.benzoinfo.com/ashtonmanual/chapter3/#sensory-hypersensitivity

:hug:Ana, how are u? You ok?

Please let me know. Probably talk tomorrow. We're all thinking of you.

Take care 

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, [[a...] said:

He said the plan will mostly likely be switching my diazepam to Ativan, they don’t carry diazepam there. Then he said there will be a medication added that is used for alcohol withdrawals (didn’t tell me the name.) The food was terrible, almost inedible. They didn’t take my vital signs. The nurse also asked me if I brought my own medication's and I said no as I wasn’t allowed to grab anything from home. 

I checked myself for alcohol detox in May and they gave me Lorazepam for a 10 days stay. It started at 3mg and they reduced the dose by 0,5mg every other day.  They did a good job by preventing me from going full delirium tremens and I could even read a book there.

The day I left I asked the psychiatrist if he could prescribe me some medication to avoid drinking alcohol and he told me that there was a drug also used for opioid addicts with the warning that if I was injured and needed an opioid, it wouldn't work.  I didn't inquire further but I suspect the drug is Naltrexone.  I'm glad I didn't take it because of the other side-effects.

But I was also taking this pro-benzo called Victan that he didn't knew about it and I'm also glad I took it with me because I wouldn't have survived otherwise.

The food was horrible but it was impossible to sleep proper even though I took the mirtazapine with me.  Everyone's awake at 7am.  The good thing is that I was allowed to keep my smartphone and tablet so I could see some Netflix shows.

I wouldn't taper in your situation. 

• Wow 1

@[Ha...] sorry for late reply. Went to psych appointment to leave disappointed. He still believes it’s not withdrawal and he also believes I’m not in tolerance since diazepam has a long life. 
He prescribed me olanzapine for my audible hallucinations but I really don’t want to take it. He said I don’t have to. He said it can cause permanent damage. 
I have heard of those things as well. I no longer get any relief from my doses. Only time I’m “calm” is when I’m with my fiancé or another adult. Other than that I’m in full on panic mode. I feel so stuck and I’m so sad his only option was to give me an antipsychotic that I’m not gonna touch.

• Sad 1

@[ve...] hi, thanks for your response. I am not a drinker. I haven’t had a drink in over a year. I don’t have any amazing medication to take with me secretly just in case something bad happens. My psychiatrist agreed that it didn’t make sense for them to switch me from diazepam to lorazepam. The plan also had 0 notes from me, which disappointed the staff where I normally go as it seems like I was never there. 

That’s awesome that they allowed you to have your phone. They took mine away and said I couldn’t use it all unless I needed to find a number to call on their phone. I’ve been using my phone for distraction and relaxing music to help so it was devastating to not have that. 

I am afraid to go to a place like this because of what I read on the benzodiazepine coalition information website. It states if you’re physically dependent and not addicted that detox isn’t suitable. A slow taper is needed for the physically dependent.

However, I’m struggling real bad at home alone. I can’t stand being alone. I panic, I freak out, my family thinks I should go so they can monitor me and I won’t be alone. I’m lost.

@[ns...] hi, thank you for checking on me. I’m not doing well whatsoever sadly. I have the flu on top of this. I’m all alone at the moment which makes me panic. 

I want to go back to sleep badly but I’m alone and it seems impossible even with soothing music in the background. I only sleep at all when my fiancé is laying by me. I won’t see him for the next 8-9 hours though. 🥺 

I’ve been sipping propel to restore electrolytes as I’ve been sweating so so much. I drink mostly ensure and some mashed potatoes lately since I have no appetite, nausea and swallowing issues. My stomach is killing me. 

Im in a panic, I don’t feel good at all. I wish I had someone with me. I’m not sure how this is gonna play out today. The only option my psych gave me yesterday was to take olanzapine which I’m not gonna do. 

This is becoming almost impossible to do at home, I wish I had someone to stay with me throughout the day but I know that’s not realistic unless I go into a ward or unit. 

Overall, I’m struggling to get by and I just want sleep and to be with my fiancé. I’m really struggling. I feel stuck.

• Like 1

Sorry you are struggling.. Oh I know the Nassau all to well. The whole last year i was in tolerance wd with vomiting and Nassau. Could hardly swallow water.. you been on the same dose since November right? Just hang in there..

Edited by Guest

Have you told your fiance what can happen when ct benzos? Mabey that would chsnge he's mind..

@[ne...] hi, I’m trying to. I was on 5 mg in November then updosed to 15 mg in December. I’ve been on 15 mg ever since. I felt almost normal after the updose but now I’m back to having all of the symptoms and being non functional again. 

Yes, he’s aware but he has to work seven days a week no matter what and can’t take days off as there is no one to cover his shift. I’m trying my best to survive the day alone. 

2 hours ago, [[a...] said:

@[ve...] I am afraid to go to a place like this because of what I read on the benzodiazepine coalition information website. It states if you’re physically dependent and not addicted that detox isn’t suitable. A slow taper is needed for the physically dependent.

However, I’m struggling real bad at home alone. I can’t stand being alone. I panic, I freak out, my family thinks I should go so they can monitor me and I won’t be alone. I’m lost.

If you don't have a dangerous physical condition like high blood pressure, I believe you better stay at home, even alone, rather that in a clinic bored to death with no food, real entertainment, a clean bathroom for yourself, etc.

Try the best to make it at home with all the tools you have available.  Try Youtube, Netflix, music, etc.

Edited by [ve...]
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, [[a...] said:

@[ne...] hi, I’m trying to. I was on 5 mg in November then updosed to 15 mg in December. I’ve been on 15 mg ever since. I felt almost normal after the updose but now I’m back to having all of the symptoms and being non functional again. 

Yes, he’s aware but he has to work seven days a week no matter what and can’t take days off as there is no one to cover his shift. I’m trying my best to survive the day alone. 

Oh seven days a week that's tough. Sounds like tolerance wd.. it has no limit. I was up to 150mg diazepam a day and got no more effect then from 10mg. 3 months ago. So I ct and felt much better.. not the first two weeks. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, [[v...] said:

Did you try to make 

If you don't have a dangerous physical condition like high blood pressure, I believe you better stay at home, even alone, rather that in a clinic bored to death with no food, real entertainment, a clean bathroom for yourself, etc.

Try the best to make it at home with all the tools you have available.  Try Youtube, Netflix, music, etc.

I think they get food!? Yeah not the most fun place to be but she won't be alone all day's..

@[ve...] I do have hypertension. 😬 Even before the withdrawal. I’ve had it since I was 12. I got my blood pressure taken at my psych appointment yesterday and it was 128/98. I do take lisinopril 20 mg once a day for the blood pressure. Usually it brings it down to a normal level but during this withdrawal it’s not working like it should to bring down my blood pressure. 

I tell my psychiatrist and the staff there and they just turn a blind eye to it and don’t seem concerned. They didn’t even take my vitals once while I was at the unit. 

Currently at home. I’m really tired but can’t sleep. I’m hydrating with water and sips of propel. I’m drinking ensures for nutrition. I may try to eat some soft food like mashed potatoes or soup a little bit later. I’m trying to focus on doing small tasks around the house and listen to music and have the TV on. 

I may step outside or even go for a walk a bit later when it warms up more. Sucks being stuck inside. I think I should make an appointment with my primary care physician and tell her about the withdrawal and blood pressure issues. She’s the one who prescribes me my lisinopril. 

I wish I could try propranolol. I have bad tremors so I wonder if it would help with that along with blood pressure. 

I may go to the emergency room later for the flu symptoms I’m having. I will keep everyone updated. I feel dehydrated.

32 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

I think they get food!? Yeah not the most fun place to be but she won't be alone all day's..

The last meal are usually at 5pm.  So you better grab some apples, bananas and bread for the night to resist until 7am next day. XD

• Wow 1

Just now, [[v...] said:

The last meal are usually at 5pm.  So you better grab some apples, bananas and bread for the night to resist until 7am next day. XD

Oh.. I was in a 10 days taper on a Swedish unit. We watched netflix and ate. That's about it lol. Coffee and jummy sandwiches between all meals.

And that in a state hospital.