Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Should I taper a slower pace?

Hi! I'm currently at a 19th month taper from a forty year Ativan dependence. I've been cutting down a quarter of a milligram every 2-4 months. I did the first half at every 2 months and the second half holding about 4 months. I was on 3 mg a day, now I am down to a quarter milligram and it is so much harder than my first half of tapering! My question is this: My last cut was really hard on my system. I had pretty bad acute withdrawals  for a month, and protracted for almost 3. I am just now stabilizing and my psychiatrist is expecting me to jump completely off in 3 weeks from now. This scares me in the fact that I am not frightened about not having the drug, I can't wait to not take not take it. I am concerned about what damage (more damage than I've already done)to my brain and body. Any of you who have had experience in this, do you think I should cut 1/8 instead of a full quarter cut off since my last cut was soooooo hard on my body. This is what I think I should do, just want suggestions. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi @[Ha...], I have been on 35 years of C so I think I can relate.

I go strictly by my body's wd sxs, that's how I determine my dose.  Most are saying not to cut more that 5-10% and I believe that to be true from what I've heard about tapering more than that.  I taper 3% and I'll link my "taper history" for you.

I would definitely hold as long as it takes before you give up that last dose.  I'm so sorry you have a doctor that doesn't understand the importance of a slow, micro taper of a benzo.  If you can do this, show him the Ashton Manual, or the video I'll put below as well.  I've heard here from those that have gone before me, that when you get into lower doses things can get a lot rougher, but again, holding I believe is the ticket, oregonlady :hug:

Here's the Ashton Manual, Just click on PDF

here's the Video that's my fave of Dr. Heather Ashton

• Like 2

I'd tell him everything you just shared here, and that you are frightened and will he please let you take the last bit according to your wd sxs, oregonlady :hug:Your progress should already show him how willing and honest you are @[Ha...] ♥️ by the way, you have done an amazing job of tapering!

Sometimes I have to re-read things from others, and especially edit my own replies, etc. but my brain is starting to work better after 9-10 months taper ;) We can do this :balloon:

Edited by [or...]
  • Love 1

Thank you for your response. So nice to meet you, Oregonlady. Yes, we can do this! I am aware of the Ashton Manual and I have a feeling that my doctor will go slow with me.

Edited by [Ha...]