Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium and Sleepiness

I crossed from Xanax to Valium and down to 1.5mg.  I seem to be sleepy all the time and little will power to get up and go do things.  Retired and don’t have to do anything but seem down and out, even stuff I used to like doing not appealing.  Just feel meh.  I know some folks have trouble sleeping during withdrawal, but I am the opposite.  Sleeping 8 hours.  Have breakfast feel like a nap.  Mill around the house have lunch feel like a nap.  Wondering if this is normal?  It should subside once off and Valium out of the system?  

Hi. Yes, Valium will do that to you unfortunately. It’s the benzo I’m trying to come off of and I’ve been on it for over a year. 
When I first got on, all I did was sleep, sleep, and sleep. That’s pretty common. Over time my body got more used to it and I was able to function without being so sleepy throughout the day. 
Valium can also make depression worse, for me at least. I feel like I don’t know how to genuinely smile anymore and I have lost interest in a lot of things I enjoyed before. 
Yup, it should subside once off and the Valium is out of your system completely. Takes a while for the Valium to leave so it’s a bit tricky but it’ll happen. Best wishes. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, [[a...] said:

Hi. Yes, Valium will do that to you unfortunately. It’s the benzo I’m trying to come off of and I’ve been on it for over a year. 
When I first got on, all I did was sleep, sleep, and sleep. That’s pretty common. Over time my body got more used to it and I was able to function without being so sleepy throughout the day. 
Valium can also make depression worse, for me at least. I feel like I don’t know how to genuinely smile anymore and I have lost interest in a lot of things I enjoyed before. 
Yup, it should subside once off and the Valium is out of your system completely. Takes a while for the Valium to leave so it’s a bit tricky but it’ll happen. Best wishes. 

Thanks for your reply.  Makes sense.  Seems like I am at pretty low doses but I guess it accumulates.  One question I haven’t cleared up is whether Valium eliminates at same pace it accumulates. I am guessing the answer is no - so it incrementally increases until we reduce.  What an awful drug.  Yes I am depressed too.  At least we recognize it.  My psych wanted to put me on Lexapro.  I told her I have never been depressed before and do t need to be adding new drugs to the mix. Just get me off the benzos.  🙏

• Like 1

17 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Thanks for your reply.  Makes sense.  Seems like I am at pretty low doses but I guess it accumulates.  One question I haven’t cleared up is whether Valium eliminates at same pace it accumulates. I am guessing the answer is no - so it incrementally increases until we reduce.  What an awful drug.  Yes I am depressed too.  At least we recognize it.  My psych wanted to put me on Lexapro.  I told her I have never been depressed before and do t need to be adding new drugs to the mix. Just get me off the benzos.  🙏

Hey Khun 

If valium eliminates at the same rate as it accumulates we would all be in the shit I think…..I’ve been on benzo’s for 18 years so that would be a scary thought 😳 😂 

I do think from my experience anyway is that it accumulates in muscles hiding away all comfy and snug until we decide we don’t want it anymore and start tapering then it rears it’s ugly head like a sleeping bear awoken from its slumber ready to cause all sorts of havoc.

Even after all those years I’m down to 2mg and it still makes me tired and meh, so I only take it in the evening, then I’m good to go the next day.

Cheers

Gypsy

I'm running into this tinkering with my Klonopin dose. Running into drug-induced fatigue at certain points in the day and often after meals. For me there's really 3 options:

1. Push though. This sucks.
  2. Take a nap (sometimes 45 minutes). Tough because I'm still working.
  3. Get sunlight and move. Even a brisk 30m walk.

Getting outdoors tends to help most of my issues.

Edited by [...]