Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Starting my wein from Xanax day 2

I usually take 2mg in am and 2mg at bedtime. I cut them in half and so far Day 2 is ok I think. Reading as much as I could on the process, I feel a bit antsy. It could be I’m just having anxiety on this process (go figure). I saw one person on quora mention this forum so I’m reaching out. 👋🏻

I called my Doctor on Friday and today the office is closed for MLK day, so I have not spoken to my Dr yet ( waiting for their call back.  What none benzo medicine works best in replacement for Anxiety? I’ve read Gabapentin is a good alternative and helps while weaning off Xanax ? Any suggestions or recommendations?

Hello @[Ne...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

For how long have been taking 4mg Xanax per day? That's a large dose, and after anything but short-term use, it should be tapered off gradually. Quitting cold turkey from such a large dose after extended use can be very dangerous, and will be almost certainly very uncomfortable for you. (Again, I am assuming use for no longer than some days or a few weeks at the most).

Colin, I appreciate your response, I’m taking 1mg twice day now ( half of what I was originally taking)not cold turkey. I have been taking 4mg since my doctor prescribed in 2017. My plan is to be 100% benzo free. 

1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Hello @[Ne...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

For how long have been taking 4mg Xanax per day? That's a large dose, and after anything but short-term use, it should be tapered off gradually. Quitting cold turkey from such a large dose after extended use can be very dangerous, and will be almost certainly very uncomfortable for you. (Again, I am assuming use for no longer than some days or a few weeks at the most).

2 hours ago, [[N...] said:

I called my Doctor on Friday and today the office is closed for MLK day, so I have not spoken to my Dr yet ( waiting for their call back.  What none benzo medicine works best in replacement for Anxiety? I’ve read Gabapentin is a good alternative and helps while weaning off Xanax ? Any suggestions or recommendations?

Neil08, 

Welcome. Please don't use gabapentin, the worsted meds ever besides benzos. In my opinion. Looks like your going a bit fast.  There are people here who can assist u with your taper. Especially with a short acting benzo like xanax. Be very careful ok. 

Please reach out to Pamster or Brighterday,  Colin,  and others. They will be happy to assist you with your taper ok.

I.hope u do well, below is a link for symptoms if they should arrive. Thus will help you understand what the symptoms are so you don't feel.lost with them. This link helped me so very much.

Take care now 

Ns

https://www.benzoinfo.com/ashtonmanual/chapter3/#sensory-hypersensitivity

Neil08, 

Welcome. Please don't use gabapentin, the worsted meds ever besides benzos. In my opinion. Looks like your going a bit fast.  There are people here who can assist u with your taper. Especially with a short acting benzo like xanax. Be very careful ok. 

Please reach out to Pamster or Brighterday,  Colin,  and others. They will be happy to assist you with your taper ok.

I.hope u do well, below is a link for symptoms if they should arrive. Thus will help you understand what the symptoms are so you don't feel.lost with them. This link helped me so very much.

Take care now 

Ns

• Like 1

Docs will offer u ssri, anti depression meds, they don't usually help and cause more complications. Also anything that affects gaba in the brain or gut will cause u issue. Like baclofen. I almost took one last night and learned I can't because it affects the gaba in the belly and brain. Such a bummer. 

Someone here may have some ideas but mostly you.just stick it out. You can watch Emma on YouTube with Therapy in a nutshell,  she's great for anxiety.  Your anxiety will increase with withdrawl. Also, trey Jones anxiety on YouTube is great! 

Practice gratitude and thankfulness, belly breathing, these 2 suggestions on YouTube will teach you these techniques. I hope u don't need them but please keep them in mind in case you do ok,

Please reach put for taper advice ok. Please don't ho top fast!

Take care 

Ns

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [[n...] said:

Neil08, 

Take care now 

Ns

NSindy Thank You! how do I reach out Pamster or Brighterday,  Colin,  and others on this platform 

Hey @[Ne...],

Welcome to BB, we're glad you found us.  Generally speaking, when you've been taking a benzo for an extended period of time such as you have, a slow taper is required.  To get the best help planning a taper, I would suggest starting a thread in the "Benzodiazpine Taper Strategies" board.  

I know this can seem like a daunting process, but there is good support here.  I took benzos for 20 years and I have been off for 5 months.  So your plan is definitely doable. :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

NSindy Thank You! how do I reach out Pamster or Brighterday,  Colin,  and others on this platform 

Hi Neil08, looks like Colin and BurnTheShips found you. I think Your on your way now. Many others will probably stop by and offer to assist. They found me, I guess that's how it works. On your log in page there are topics and browse,  activity etc. You can start looking around that way and figure out how to navigate the site. That's how I got around. But u can also ask one of the others how to navigate the site. I hope you find answers. I'm sure u will. Everyone is very supportive and helpful.

I think they've already found u so don't be afraid to ask them with any questions you may have. 

I'm sorry I'm not of more assistance to u, I'm just like u, going through the process. 

Take care, take it slow 

By now

Ns

1 hour ago, [[N...] said:

You! how do I reach out Pamster or Brighterday,  Colin,  and others on this platform 

Hi @[Ne...], if you type @ then the first few letters of a members name, the system will generate usernames and you select the one you’re looking for.  This will notify the member you seek.

One rule I learned the hard way is that rapid Benzo withdrawal can lead to all kinds of super long lasting S/X. Slow and steady keeps your neurons from getting toasted from excitotoxic storms in the brain.

• Like 1