Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Ativan or Valium for tapering? :Also my story for context

Hey everyone!

I am new to this group. I found it while searching for "quitting benzo success stories". I have been searching for help/support for a while but couldn't find anything besides addiction groups, which, while it can be seen as an addiction, I'm not taking it recreationally nor more than I am prescribed. I actually take it less than prescribed. Anyway, a bit of my story. I am 30 years old and have been on benzodiazepines since I was 16 years old. I suffered from panic attacks to the point where I couldn't even sit in class or complete an entire school day. I started on Xanax, switched over clonazepam and sometime within the past 6 months made the switch over to ativan. I am prescribed 1 mg 3x a day but I only take .5 mg-1 mg once a day. Sometimes I can go a day only having taken .25 mg. I have had some days without taking it at all but those are rare. Except, in the past week, I went a day without taking it, went back to taking it, and 3 days ago I was able to somehow not take it all. (I am on day 3 it is 8:09 pm where I am). I'm a very functional person; I teach full-time, I have my own apartment, I drive, I do Muay Thai 2-3x a week, I am in a happy relationship, and I am in therapy. But, as you know, tapering off of benzos will make your life hell, regardless of how "functional" you are. The past 3 days have been hell, I have had a few intense anxiety attacks, bordering panic, but somehow managed to use coping skills enough where they didn't escalate to a full-blown panic attack. Maybe they would still be considered panic attacks, not sure, I would have to go to the bathroom and put cold water on me and breathe for 15 minutes (I was at a seminar for the past 3 days I don't know how I made it this far honestly.

That being said, I found myself here, by the grace of God. Or, whatever you believe in. My goal is obviously to eradicate benzodiazepines from my life entirely. I plan to switch psychiatrists and take a look into this Ashton manual. That being said, I read that Valium was the best benzo to switch over during the tapering. Anyone with experience or success, what is your experience? I am open to any suggestions and help. Thank you all :)

Hi @[...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm glad you found us. Some people are able to stop benzo's without any withdrawal whatsoever, some people have a few symptoms while others have a very difficult time discontinuing. It all depends on how severe your physical dependence is. And as you noted, there's a difference between addiction and physical dependence. 

If you feel you can cope and your symptoms are manageable then you can try and tough it out. But if you feel you cannot cope with the withdrawal symptoms, you might want to reinstate. If this is the option you choose, generally, the sooner you do it, the better. It is also worth noting that benzo's mask the symptoms of existing conditions, it doesn't cure it. So if you had intense panic attacks prior to benzo's there is still a likelihood that these could return once you stop taking your meds. 

When it comes to tapering, we usually recommend tapering your existing benzo you are on, unless you are struggling with interdose withdrawal. Then we consider Valium. If your existing benzo is working for you, then it's best not to mess around with it. 

Please keep chatting to us, so we can see how what you feel is the best for your situation.

Oh wow interesting. Can I ask why you don't recommend replacing a benzo with another during the tapering process?

I only ask because I read that Ativan is short-lived, so my symptoms come back after it wears off and I usually have to go through intense withdraw symptoms or I end up caving and taking another because it's not always manageable. I read from a doctor (from that manual) that because Valium lasts longer you can switch and it is easier to taper off because you experience less severe withdraw symptoms. I do definitely still have withdraw symptoms but sometimes I "tough it out" and other times I cannot and end up taking it in order to function.