Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

cold turkey from klono ( day 37 )

2020-2023(11 2023 dec went cold turkey) 25 year old

alright i've been on k for near about 4 years for near about 2 years it was fine after 2 years i was developing tolerance i started skipping my dosages i had no answers because my psychiatrist did not give me a clue on how to drop these off even after asking multiple times. But after doing this for nearly 2-3 months i was getting debilitating anxiety my stomach started to hurt most of times. i took every medicine out there but nothing was working... i had health anxiety prior to this benzo stuff. and it aggravated it even more i did not take have a clue what was causing the pain i kept on doing tests everything came out 99 percent normal. but 2023 became hell

going from doctor to doctor on 11 dec i dropped my medicines completely. for 5 days it was fine i was able to handle on the 6 day my blood pressure went through the roof 175/125 and heart rate spiked to 140bpm it was very very sudden i ran to the ER they took my ecg and it showed right ventricular enlargement they could not get a thing im 25 years old so they took a trop I test which came negative i was sent back home. till today day 37 my blood pressure kept fluctuating 140/98 135/192 but its a daily thing for me but my heart rate also went 125. which came to normal after 40 minutes around to 90. i dont know if i have a heart problem i did my echo about a month ago before cold turkey which came normal . did that 175/125 blood pressure damage my heart or .. are  these  the symptoms by dropping my meds i have spikes in blood pressure sometimes with heart rate too.   

Edited by [KL...]

Hello @[KL...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

It sounds like you are having a real tough time.

What dose of Klonopin were you taking prior to your cold turkey withdrawal in December?

You mentioned also dropping other medications at the same time - what were they and at what dose?

• Like 1

i was taking 0.25 clonazepam in december... i was also given other meds by my psych i did not take any of those 

You should never just stop taking all medications cold turkey.  That will definitely cause blood pressure issues, but if your 37 days out now then your coming out of the danger zone. And yourl on your way towards healing.  Your body will slowly start leveling out.  It will take time, but healing will come slowly day by day, week by week, month by month.  You will recover.  I was on deaths door from benzos at one time.  Now I live a normal life and it's in the past.  I worried it would last forever and I would not recover,  but I did.  And you will also.

Your brain chemistry is off and trying to recalibrate itself to not having the medicines.   It will eventually improve.  You will have to tackle the anxiety on your own.  Meditation,  yoga, exercise,  learning techniques such as mindfulness.   Volunteer your time to helping people less fortunate than yourself.   All these things help with anxiety.   

Edited by [12...]
  • Like 2

Hi @[KL...]. I agree with @[12...], at 37 days out, if you are considering reinstatement, this would be backwards step if your aim to get off and stay off.

Why did you not take the other psychiatric medications? Why were they prescribed?

@[Co...] my psychiatrist was away for few months did not give me meds hospital gave me another psychiatrist she took me to her own clinic and started my treatment she changed my medicine from clonazepam to etizolam then again clonazepam as the fees was quite high and i was building tolerance i was trying to get off after 4 years she told me we'll do it later i just asked for a rough estimate till what time i'll be off of these drugs she neglected my question i told her about the ashton manual she got frustrated.. and told " who's the doctor you or me if you will not take medicine according to me than do not visit my clinic" i had no choice but to do it no matter if it kills me i had bad tolerance to one benzo and she was adding 2 other antidepressants..

adding it -  i was feeling good that day i did not take the meds and i was smiling she again got frustrated and told this is depression.

Edited by [KL...]

@[12...] thanks a lot.. i don't know how long it'll take but I'm not getting on that train again my family does not support me they say ''what happened if you quit this medicine be strong i don't take my blood pressure medicine either i'm still fine '' they don't know the difference between this and bp medication neither my friends actually i'm left with no friends because they think i'm crazy. 

Hi @[KL...]. I cannot generally comment on your decision to not take your prescribed medications - I expect that it is complicated. But blood pressure medications protect against many debilitating diseases or death. The good news about hypertension meds is that there are many classes of suitable medications, and many more individual medications - most people find one (or combination) which is both effective and with minimal/tolerable side effects. Yeah, you might well feel fine with your hypertension meds until you suffer a heart attack or stroke.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-blood-pressure-hypertension/

• Like 1

@[Co...]no i never took blood pressure medicines my mom takes it ....i was saying my mother says to me that leaving this benzo is not a big deal quoting i skip my blood pressure medicines too she says that to me

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

@[12...] thanks a lot.. i don't know how long it'll take but I'm not getting on that train again my family does not support me they say ''what happened if you quit this medicine be strong i don't take my blood pressure medicine either i'm still fine '' they don't know the difference between this and bp medication neither my friends actually i'm left with no friends because they think i'm crazy. 

12 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

@[Co...]no i never took blood pressure medicines my mom takes it ....i was saying my mother says to me that leaving this benzo is not a big deal quoting i skip my blood pressure medicines too she says that to me

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

13 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

As you don't use dots (.) or commas (,), it's very hard to follow you.

Not a negative feedback just saying.

Peace..

2 hours ago, [[K...] said:

i told her about the ashton manual she got frustrated.. and told " who's the doctor you or me if you will not take medicine according to me than do not visit my clinic"

That seems to be the norm for so many of us.  A year ago I pleaded with my psychiatrist and even his assistant to read the Ashton Manual and to help me they refused!  My Pharmacist read it and she has beed supportive.  I don't know if you have a good relationship with your pharmacist or not, but mine has been a Godsend - she knows what I am going through and looks up every medication that they want me to take and gives me her honest opinion.  Hoping you feel better soon :)

3 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

@[Da...]are you benzo free now ?

No I cut my dose in half 10 days ago.....my pharmacist is aware but not my psychiatrist and with the exception of the body jerks, I am the same as before.  It has been almost a year where I am housebound and unable to care for myself so I going my own way with this.  I got tired of begging.  I am already living with every horrid symptom.   I was on 1mg 2X Daily for 20 years with a few Cold Turkeys in between.  You were on only.5 - crazy what this does to us.  Every doctor says "but you are not even on a big dose."  

Edited by [Da...]

@[Da...] you are strong enough taper is hard for me personally i tried it and it did'nt work for me. Plus i  could'nt tolerate living hell each and everyday going cold turkey is dangerous but every person is going by his own protocol cuz doctors only know how to put you on these poison pills they've got no idea on how to remove it from system. The other reason is by keeping you bound to these drugs they'll keep their income coming that's why no psychiatrist helps you. Though ive got agmatine sulphate by my side i've heard a lot of things about it lets see

3 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

you are strong

I am not strong at all.....just exhausted.  I just realized I have lost everything with nothing else to lose.

@[Da...] Recovery journey takes time it happens every minute but due to the population of GABA receptors in our body the effect is not significant or fast but gradual.. those old receptors are gone it is rewiring new things are taking place hold on to it. 

• Like 1