Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Otitis, earache, antibiotic

I have been off benzodiazepines for 33 months and have made great progress.

But around January 5, the hate started to hurt, at first it was a little mild, I thought it would heal on its own, but as time went by the pain and discomfort got a little worse.
I had to go to the emergency room at a public hospital, they supposedly diagnosed me with "otitis" and prescribed Amoxicillin 500 and ear drops (Ciprofloxacin/Hydrocortisone). It is my first time taking antibiotics after so long and it is my first time having a case of these.
I wanted to ask if anyone has gone through the same thing, what do you recommend, what can I do?

dose:
amoxicillin 500 every 12 hours and 3 drops every 12 hours.

These penicillin based antibiotics should not have any negative interaction with benzos from my recent experience. 

Hello @[...],

The fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics is counter indicated for those on benzos or in withdrawal. The Ciprofloxacin is in this class. Some people have reported no issues with these drugs while others have reacted. I think I would see if there is a different ear drop that would be effective for this condition. Additionally, some people react to steroids. I do not have problems with them personally, but again some people react negatively. 

@[...] in past, I’ve had a spray called Otomize (TEVA) that included a corticosteroid for inflammation, neomycin sulfate broad spectrum antibiotic & anti bacterial to clear infection. 
Hope this info may be of use. And that you get some relief 

Edited by [Ka...]

All this information is worth gold to me.

Yesterday at night I started the treatment, honestly my ear hurt a lot, it seemed like I had a tumor, I was giving birth through the ear, it was very, very strong.

The doctor recommended that I take ibuprofen in case of pain but I decided not to take it, I know that I am in withdrawal and I do not want to abuse myself with the medications.

I knew that there was a type of antibiotics that are quite harmful to people who suffer withdrawal, they are only drops thank God and I only put them in one ear (left side), I think there is a lot of difference between some drops and some pills, but each one is different. @[pi...]

If you can explain your experiences in more detail it would help me a lot. @[Ka...] @[Kh...]

@[...] historically, I don’t do well on penicillin. The Otomize spray worked for me & is for otitis. It did cure the problem. The pain you have sounds particularly hard to deal with & I hope you are able to find an approach that will not interfere with the good progress you’ve made. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to mention that I have already cured my otitis.

Take Amoxicillin for 7 days, every 8 hours.

I put the drops 3 times every 12 hours, for 7 days.

And I only took 2 ibuprofen because it causes a lot of ear pain.

The treatment ended on Sunday. It's been more than 3 days now.

I didn't have any problems, I didn't feel any waves, it was quite normal.

This was my first time on medication after 33 months off benzodiazepines.