Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Kindling how to taper and do you ever recover

My nervous system was kindled in April 2023 when my doctor reinstated me after tapering off 4 mg v.   I was put back on 1mg Xanax and it made my symptoms worse. I crossed back to V and have tapered down to 4mg but I am really struggling. My reductions were.5 every 2 - 3weeks.  I’m now going to drop .25 every 2 - 3 weeks.  My question is do you still recover from kindling, as my withdrawal symptoms this taper are so much more severe 

Hi Verdi I was off for 13 days before I was reinstated.  But this taper has been bearable until I reached 4.5mg close to the 4mg where I started on the first taper.  I think the kindling effect is from here on.  I just pray to god I have the strength to get through the misery of the intense anxiety and depression. I have researched as much as I could find on kindling with benzodiazepines and there seems two lines of protocols.  It’s get off slow but not too slow and the other is go super slow with small reductions.

Hello @[...],

I believe I was kindled more than once. At the time I didn’t know the term, to be honest, I didn’t know the word benzo either. That’s another story though. After the cold turkey as required for a medical test I went into a severe and debilitating withdrawal. No doctor knew what was wrong and tests were all negative. I kept hearing anxiety as the cause, but I was put on benzos for a supposed middle ear issue. Finally after being experimented on with many drugs by my PCP I sought a psychiatrist who I though would know more about medications. I was put on clonazepam although the doctor said he couldn’t see a psychological reason for my symptoms. 

I reached tolerance relativity quickly and lived in that state for a while. The doctor suggested a midday dose which I declined because I knew inside the drug was the problem. I tried reducing myself not knowing how strong clonazepam is. I failed miserably each time. So I yo yo’d a lot. Finally I found a doctor that agreed with my assessment that the drug was making me sick. He read the Ashton plan but neither of really knew what we were doing. I didn’t even switch to the equivalent dose of Valium. 

Long  story short, I survived and healed completely. Benzos have been off my radar screen for a long time. I have trust in the cns to right itself and find balance.I’m sorry things are tough now but these are powerful drugs. I think your system is very sensitive now, if you are having strong  symptoms, going very slow might be a good plan.

• Like 4