Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Do antidepressants help with depression caused from Valium withdrawal

Do antidepressants help with Valium withdrawal induced depression.  I am suffering terribly with depression and crying.  My current antidepressant Paxil low dose 10mg has stopped working (which it has done many times before on and off over the years) and my Psychiatrist wants to do a direct swap to Celexa the same class antidepressant.  I am down to 4mg Valium and I don’t think my nervous system could stand another change.  Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated 

SJR, well. They didn't help me. Only made me worse. Everything they tried made me worse but maybe that's just me! I have heard many say don't do it so hopefully someone here had a goid experience. I took zoloft, only made my symptoms worse. Celexa gave me tinnitus and I still have it 3 yrs later but, with withdrawl most will get tinnitus. So many meds, no relief. As soon as I'm finished tapering I'm going on baclofen. I used to take it, it's s great muscle relaxer and really helped me but who knows how I'll react now that my system had Bern chemically altered.

You can always try different meds, see if they help u but most say no.

I hope your symptoms decrease soon, try not tonget symptom focused,  we all do it but get out of it right away else it digs in deeper ok

Take care

Ns

• Like 1

Nsindy thanks for your advice.  I’ve tried heaps of different meds also, the only ones that helped lyrica 75mg or antipsychotic zyprexa 2.5 - 5mg.   Both are nasty drugs and will need a taper even though I only take 2 or 3 times a week 

SRJ, yes they are so nasty those drugs. 

I have a bag full of medications that I'm holding on to to show I couldn't take them in case some doc wants me to try them again. I am done, my brain needs to heal. I have reactions to everything so it will be whst it is.

Listen. We're all going thru this,I know how hard it is to go off of those drugs, I cried abd cried, but one day I just stopped and Said, you know, I'm going to lean on God! I can't do this myself right now.  I slowed down the taper a little, and then put my focus on learning the Bible more, watched sermons by Joyce Meyer and othes, just did a turn around. I started looking into a project to serve others, It was still hard, but it made a huge impact on my life. Sometimes I think those meds are harder to get off but then I realize that the benzos are the worst.. are you tapering both right now?? 

I don't think I would if you can help it, 

There are many here that can hp u taper,  have u taked to snyone who offered to assist u with your taper? If not, look up.pamster, brighterday, they sre both here and are realky helpful.

I'm so sorry your suffering darn it, but ill say this, we will all be better for it when we finish this race. Many say that they love life so much more, theyre happier now. Hold onto that ok, I'm so looking forward to finishing this, it keeps me going.

I hope there is something to aid in your recovery. 

I wish there was more I could offer. Please get taper advise if you haven't yet ok,

Stay in touch

Ns

• Like 2

Nsindy I have had taper advice from Pamster Winter sun and a few others.  I am reducing the size of my next reductions from .5mg to.25mg hold every 2 - 3 weeks.  I’m on 4mg V now and day 4 of this reduction plus I am kindled after being reinstated by my doctor in April 2023.  I was going to do a slow switch to liquid Valium because I can’t accurately cut .25mg out of a 2 mg Valium tablet.  But after speaking with other Benzo buddies yesterday I think I’ll buy a jewellers scale and continue with the pills.  I think changing to liquid might aggravate my symptoms even more.  I’m not tapering off any other drugs while I’m coming off Valium (as much as I would love to get rid of the antidepressant).   Do you think dry cutting is best for me to stay with regards further reductions.  I take 120mg cbd oil with 14mg non activated thca.  It helps a little.  I’m also taking about 450gms of Ltheanine 6 days a week and it also helps.  

• Like 1

I’m also suffering restlessness in my legs.  I take propranolol 20mg a day about 3 times a week which helps a little but is short acting and seems to make my depression worse 

29 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

I'm so looking forward to finishing this, it keeps me going.

:) you are such an inspiration :) I appreciate you :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

:) you are such an inspiration :) I appreciate you :)

Oh goodness Darlene71, I'm sitting here numb butt lol, jerking, stinging and typing, geez, but if I stop,no will think and symptoms focus today.

Thank u for that,  that's sweet to say! 

I've seen your comments and posts, you inspire me too! And I appreciate you!

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections
  • Like 2

@[...] I still take paroxetine 40mg and have not had any depression at all during withdrawals. I'm now 11 weeks off.  I will be withdrawing from it in a few months 👌

• Like 1

LisaN

im pleased for you that Paxil is still working for you.  Mine stopped working about 2 months ago and it gives me itchy skin.  But I don’t want to start another taper and take on a new antidepressant while going through the business end of the taper.  I source of pain is enough

• Like 1

@[...] I agree !! I can't wait to get off them.  Seeing the neurological damage I have post Valium withdrawal has been so scary 😳