Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taper suggestions

Currently holding at .375 Xannax a day.  Taking .125 3x daily.  Ready for next cut down to .3125 or .125 2x daily and .0625 1x daily.

I have been on a 4 year taper and started was on 2-3mg daily for 25 years. Does this cut seem correct.  Taper has been more difficult as I have gotten to lower dosages.  I have had to up dose several times to keep stability.  Many waves and windows but I have been stable for 1 month on .375.

Advice and suggestions on continued cuts and what dosage to jump?

Hi @[Li...]

This cut sounds a bit aggressive to me. It will be around 16% if I'm correct. We generally recommend cuts of no more than 5-10%. The fact that your taper has been more difficult at lower doses and you've had to updose several times, suggest that you need to lower your percentage. I personally wouldn't be making such a big cut if it were me. I would rather suggest you stay closer to 5-7%. How big was your last cut?

Last cut was the same amount, I think you may be correct.  So I will try .125 2x daily and .09375 1x using a scale.  As I reduce the percentages become larger and the usual cut of 1/4 of a .25mg is apparently becoming to large of a percentage for me to handle.

Thanks, I will let you know how I respond to the cut.

• Like 1

Yes, linear cuts result in higher percentages with each reduction. It's not advisable at this stage in the taper. 

Eventually you will have to revert back to linear tapering again but I suggest at a much lower dose.

• 1 month later...

Relatively stable and switched to 2x daily attached is my daily schedule till jump. Feel I need this aggressive taper to get to jump point.

Have up dosed previously with no benefit after getting below .25mg daily.

Thoughts ?

IMG_0774.png

Yes, tolerable. Still having issues but I am at a point that the windows give me strength and something to look forward to. I am working and able to get through the days. I have significant cognitive and memory issues that I feel will not stabilize until I jump and stabilize. Been on Xanax over 25 years.  I have up dosed throughout the taper numerous times and feel I am at a point that I need push on and jump soon.  I feel I have prolonged the inevitable so long that I want to jump now. The only thing that prevents me from jumping and staying on the taper is I need to work to provide for my family.  Keep it together because I am the provider.  I have experienced horrible withdrawal (waves) and do not fear them anymore.  I need to be free of the Xanax!

What mg did you jump from?

5 hours ago, [[L...] said:

I feel will not stabilize until I jump and stabilize

I just have to caution against this approach. There is no guarantee that rushing off the pills will cause you to stabilize. Getting off is step one, recovering is a completely different ball game. You have absolutely no control over your symptoms when you're off. While you're still taking meds you do have some level of control as you can adjust the medication. Being off means no level of control. It can take many months and even up to a year before you start seeing any change in how you feel. If you rush it, you may feel these exact same symptoms for a very prolonged time. You might recover quickly, we don't know, but I need to caution you that it doesn't always happen quickly. I was functional and mostly stable throughout my taper - I struggled, and it was really tough - but functional. It is only now during the last 12-14 months off that I feel I am making progress and improving in my symptoms.

I wanted to jump so many times just to get it over with and "get on with my life" but I didn't because I needed to stay functional for my family and I am so glad I didn't. I think your suggested taper is too fast, your cuts will accummulate and catch up with you and you will be in a world of pain. But ultimately it's your life, your taper and your decision. We can only offer suggestions and experience. And we will support whatever decision you make.

5 hours ago, [[L...] said:

I was on Clonazepam which is the same in equivalence to Xanax. I jumped at 0.025mg. My decision was based on Ashton's recommendation to jump at the Valium equivalence of 0.5mg.

Yes, tolerable. Still having issues but I am at a point that the windows give me strength and something to look forward to. I am working and able to get through the days. I have significant cognitive and memory issues that I feel will not stabilize until I jump and stabilize. Been on Xanax over 25 years.  I have up dosed throughout the taper numerous times and feel I am at a point that I need push on and jump soon.  I feel I have prolonged the inevitable so long that I want to jump now. The only thing that prevents me from jumping and staying on the taper is I need to work to provide for my family.  Keep it together because I am the provider.  I have experienced horrible withdrawal (waves) and do not fear them anymore.  I need to be free of the Xanax!

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.  I will continue with my taper and adjust if needed.  No two peoples withdrawals are the same and in the end I must do what I feel is needed and the most beneficial to my recovery. However, I appreciate your concern and wish you the best with your recovery. 

I understand. You need to do what you feel is best. Please don’t hesitate to reach out for support. I hope it goes well and please keep us updated. It will be so good to learn from you and have an example of where a fast taper did work. 

• 1 month later...
[Li...]

Update on Taper

Began switching to Valium on 3/17 due to increased physical symptoms . 

Took .0577mg x morning and 1.16mg nightly for 2 weeks 

Began taking Valium only on 3/31 at 2.25 daily (.5 morning and 1.75 nightly)

Switch caused flu like symptoms at first but increased sedation from V helped muscle issues in my throat and helped increase sleep. My cognitive issues have improved slightly and although I feel different I feel I have stabilized. First time off xanax in almost 30 years!

Eager to taper off the Valium but gonna slow down somewhat and attempt to follow Ashton more closely looking to cut roughly 10% in a week and eliminate half of morning dose which leaves me sleepy throughout the day.

Suggestions on taper from the 2.25 of Valium?

I had tried to get Dr to switch me to Valium over a year ago in this long taper but was unable. Once symptoms got physical and my blood pressure began to climb. (Currently on 1mg Amlodpine and 10mg losartan for the last year) My doctor agreed to switch to Valium.

Dr is totally ignorant of best taper schedule as she thinks equivalent of x to  v is 10x. Anyway I have overstated my usage and been hoarding Xanax for over a year to make sure I would always have enough for taper. She thought I was on .375 x daily and moved me to 4 mg daily Valium and wants me to reduce 1 mg monthly. (I have debated with her in the past and it is useless so I lie and get the meds and once through this I will never have to deal with her again) Doing the math this should be enough to complete my actual taper.  I told her I may need to slow that eventually but doing the math I should be able to get enough Valium to cut 10% weekly or biweekly as symptoms suggest.

Anyway in a better place today and glad I pushed through the wall I had hit in my taper. Still more waves than windows but I am going to make it through! My symptoms are minor to what I read on the forum.

Anyway any suggestions or feedback is appreciated!

• Like 1

[Li...]

To add clarity:

3/17-3/30 dosage was

.0577 mg Xanax morning

1.16mg Valium nightly

I I think I failed to put a v after my nightly dose in previous post.

[je...]
17 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Suggestions on taper from the 2.25 of Valium?

I wonder if this thread might be helpful?

• 1 month later...
[Li...]

Jelly Baby

Currently holding at 1.5mg Valium daily for next month.  Symptoms got worse but still stable and functioning.

main issues are memory, throat tightness, ear issues, and insomnia. Getting at least 4-5 hours nightly sleep. 

Looking for a taper schedule to lead me to my jump.  Ideas on time frame I should shoot for if symptoms do not get overwhelming.

Your advice and knowledge are appreciated. I get overly zealous with cuts and want to jump as quick as possible.

Unrealistically thinking things will be better once I jump when actually from your responses knowing things may be way worse.

Any advice and guidance are appreciated I am scared of what the future holds.  Afraid of losing my mind with a family that depends on me. I have lost my optimism that has got me this far!

[je...]

I'm glad to hear you're still stable and functioning. It is definitely a good idea to hold your dose. You've had a very agressive taper and you have switched to a different benzo.

1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

Unrealistically thinking things will be better once I jump when actually from your responses knowing things may be way worse.

I wasn't suggesting it will get worse, I just didn't want you to think that withdrawal ends the moment we stop taking the drug. 

I don't really know what to suggest for the last little bit. When I was at 0.125mg Clonazepam which is equivalent to about 2.5mg Valium, I just experimented. I didn't know how to approach it, so I tried different things - if my symptoms got worse, I held my dose, I changed my approach etc. 

It is really difficult to suggest a way forward because you've crossed over right at the end of your taper. There's no history to know how you react to Valium, how fast you can cut on Valium etc. I guess the best option is to try a 10% cut and see how that goes?

[Li...]

Thanks for the advice! I will see if symptoms improve in the next month or at least do not get worse. 

I have crossed the Rubicon and need to push through and conquer what is ahead.  No time to be fearful but I have become weary of the battle.  I think you are correct that the new benzo and my reaction to it are an unknown and probably what is causing my fear!

Enough about me, how are you holding up ?  You communicate so well that I forget you may be suffering. You truly have been a blessing to me !!

[je...]

Fear is very common in withdrawal and often can be seen as a withdrawal symptom itself. This process is really tough, and we should not underestimate how much it takes of us, emotionally, mentally and physically. Just trying to make the right decision about your own medical care is mentally draining. Ex. how much should I cut? Because we never studied medicine. We have no idea what we're doing, yet we have to make the most crucial decisions that will determine whether or not we can keep a job, we can show up for our families, we can physically care for ourselves. It's hard. 

20 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Enough about me, how are you holding up ?  You communicate so well that I forget you may be suffering. You truly have been a blessing to me !!

Oh, thank you. I'm doing quite well. Much better than a year or two ago. I'm not exactly where I want to be in my recovery, but there is definite progress. And no, there is no suffering fortunately.