Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tinnitus Again

Wow - it’s on high alert. 10 on the scale.  How does one cope?  I have all the sound maskers, etc…but it’s so invasive/pervasive.  I am down to 2 mg Valium.  Thought I managed the taper fairly well.  Until now.  Stiff neck also, but PT and meds do help. Nothing helps the T.  Anyone had the same and/or overcome it?  Unbearable.  Thanks for listening.  🙏🙏

Edited by [Kh...]

On 12/01/2024 at 06:03, [[K...] said:

Wow - it’s on high alert. 10 on the scale.  How does one cope?  I have all the sound maskers, etc…but it’s so invasive/pervasive.  I am down to 2 mg Valium.  Thought I managed the taper fairly well.  Until now.  Stiff neck also, but PT and meds do help. Nothing helps the T.  Anyone had the same and/or overcome it?  Unbearable.  Thanks for listening.  🙏🙏

Hello! 

How are you doing these days? How is your Tinnitus now? I am struggling with very loud Tinnitus too right now, joined to get support. Hopefully your hearing has returned to normal!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Hello! 

How are you doing these days? How is your Tinnitus now? I am struggling with very loud Tinnitus too right now, joined to get support. Hopefully your hearing has returned to normal!

Struggling.  No improvement.  A couple weeks from quitting benzos.  Hoping maybe in the following months I get some relief.  I will also seek treatment once back in California.  There is a new device just approved called Lenire.  I hope to try it.  

Edited by [Kh...]
  • Love 1

It’s really the only issue I am facing.  My stiff neck was the other but thankfully it seems to be resolving thru PT and traction.

• Love 1

On 19/01/2024 at 20:26, [[K...] said:

It’s really the only issue I am facing.  My stiff neck was the other but thankfully it seems to be resolving thru PT and traction.

Thank you for sharing! I too have a stiff neck, the first 2 weeks after my last benzo were the worst. I could barely move my neck, my head was under such pressure it felt like meningitis, my neck hurt so bad I could barely hold my head up. Day 34 today and while my neck still aches, its fairly mild. Head is better as well. I am glad PT is relieving your pain, when the neck and head hurt, it nearly suicidal material there. ((Hugs))

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 18:04, [[B...] said:

Tinnitus is very challenging to cope with.  For many, including myself, it was one of the last withdrawal symptom to fade away.  Here is a link to a page with tips for coping with tinnitus: https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/coping/withdrawal-induced-tinnitus-quick-tips

Thank you for this link! I will take a look at it now! :)

1 hour ago, [[w...] said:

@[Kh...] So very glad to read your neck is improving! 
have you started treatments with Lenaire yet?

Not yet. I have applied to the hearing center in Northern California to see if I can get on their list.  Seems it’s quite new and in demand.  No insurance taken.  Out of pocket for device and some sessions for a year.  Not cheap.  Quoting around $4500.  Device is your when u buy it.  Probably late Feb when I can get going.  Lenire is the device btw. 🙏

Did you have a lot of stress lately? I don’t notice my tinnitus during most of the day now but when I wake up in the morning it’s much louder I’m not sure why but now I have a way to get rid of it during the day by listening to some videos. Already started to check hearing aids and different hearing aid domes, as i think in the nearest future i gonna need that,

Edited by [el...]

Just the tinnitus itself creates the stress...also had some sinus issues that may contribute.  Other than that, no.  Retired, happily married, financially secure etc...

Edited by [Kh...]

Is the intensity and pitch always the same with your tinnitus? Or does it change?

mine seems to get higher and sharper in frequency when intensity increases.

On 23/01/2024 at 07:43, [[w...] said:

@[Kh...] So very glad to read your neck is improving! 
have you started treatments with Lenaire yet?

Not yet. I have applied to the hearing center in Northern California to see if I can get on their list.  Seems it’s quite new and in demand.  No insurance taken.  Out of pocket for device and some sessions for a year.  Not cheap.  Quoting around $4500.  Device is your when u buy it.  Probably late Feb when I can get going.  Lenire is the device btw. 🙏

33 minutes ago, [[w...] said:

Is the intensity and pitch always the same with your tinnitus? Or does it change?

mine seems to get higher and sharper in frequency when intensity increases.

Hi widesky, mine changes frequently. Sometimes it's like an electrical current with waves of static, other times like a sharp high pitch squeeling or whistle. It just depends on how anxious I feel or if I'm irritable. 

Sorry you have tinnitus, it isn't fun for sure!

Ns

• Like 1

Oops.  No idea why that reposted…the noise level moderates a bit.  Not sure if it’s because I tune it out sometimes?  But it is generally constant and bothers me 24/7.  Gosh I wish I knew what to do..gonna try some of the supplements.  Tebonin, which is ginkgo extract and a couple other things.  Wonder how folks habituate.  They say people do.

My T has a rotation time of abt 3 days now.  Two days bad followed by a day of mild.  It seems to “set” in the esrly am.  I can wake around 4 am and have no t the go back to sleep and when I awaken it jumps in intensity.  I once stayed awake when I woke at 4:30 and  it was mild til I fell asleep around 10 am.  Such a tease!!  Today it’s the loudest ever.  I’m 3 months off V.

20 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Oops.  No idea why that reposted…the noise level moderates a bit.  Not sure if it’s because I tune it out sometimes?  But it is generally constant and bothers me 24/7.  Gosh I wish I knew what to do..gonna try some of the supplements.  Tebonin, which is ginkgo extract and a couple other things.  Wonder how folks habituate.  They say people do.

Kuhn kit have u tried ear plugs?

I have had tinnitus for over 3 yrs off and on. I have used ear plugs to calm me some. It helps. It makes me so nervous, every little sound but I'm desensitizing now. I turn up the volume slightly on the TV, just enough to hear it. I otherwise use the cc option to watch. With each day I would turn up the volume a little more and so on. Then took breaks. Then I go into the living room with hubby and our crazy hyper dog! I take out the plugs, he turns the TV down. We watch or I just read or type on here for distraction. Then he'll gently turn up the TV and pays attention to how I'm responding. Sometimes not so good. I was doing really well but had a set back with my anxiety and my tinnitus got worse.

This is the point, anxiety, tension causes the tinnitus.  Our nervous system is in alert and hypervigilint, so this means we've been focusing too much on our symptoms and our subconscious brain is perceiving danger or fear. This causes a lot if tension and then the tinnitus gets worse. This is my understanding of why this happens. When I calmed down, relaxed and not focused on my symptoms the tinnitus goes down, I can actually hear much better even though I'm deaf in one ear. 

Try not to symptoms focus,  I know it's really hard especially if it's the tinnitus. It won't hurt you but it's really annoying so we get more stressed out! It's a cycle that gets u in deeper stress so really need to work on those anxiety skills. I posted a video on anxiety topic, anxiety and the nervous system I think it's called.  Therapy in a nutshell. Really good stuff,  I hope it helps you.

Take care 

Ns

• Like 1

Have not tried the ear plugs....do they create silence?  Can you hear your T in the silence?  I use sound maskers to try and overcome the constant ringing.....TV on loud, etc..  Waterfall sounds and fans at night when it is usually worse.  ugh.  

1 minute ago, [[K...] said:

Have not tried the ear plugs....do they create silence?  Can you hear your T in the silence?  I use sound maskers to try and overcome the constant ringing.....TV on loud, etc..  Waterfall sounds and fans at night when it is usually worse.  ugh.  

There not perfect no, but if your trying to mask all sound, your giving this symptom way too much attention. I know how disturbing it is to have tinnitus, it took me awhile to realize that the more focus I gave to it the worse it got, the longer went on. The key is to try to get used to it, you can and it will calm down but ant symptom you really focus on, Have fear of is going to get stronger and last longer. 

Ear plugs are ok, but try to take then out here and there  to adjust. Luke in the shower, I wear some, then I take them out to wash my hair,by then I've adjusted to it and it doesn't bother me as much, really,  it doesn't. It's all about if you perceive this to be dangerous or scary etc, so keep that in mind. Your more fear you give it, the stronger it will become. 

I hope this helps, 

Ns

Thanks.  I was under the impression for various websites that sound masking is a recommended technique to help cope?

Just now, [[K...] said:

Thanks.  I was under the impression for various websites that sound masking is a recommended technique to help cope?

No. It only gets you in deeper and you'll always need to mask sound.  During withdrawal it's probably a good idea to wear plugs when u really need them but try not to become dependent on them .I did that for a while and things only got worse. I isolated myself in the bedroom, sound became excruciating. Wind on the window became such a disturbing sound. No, try to go with it when u can, be gentle with yourself,  your in withdrawal and Need time to adjust. But don't stay in it too long. Take it a minute, day at a time ok

Ns