Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Visual/eye problems when eyes closed

Hello,

I am new here and am hoping for recognition of my eye complaints. I drives me crazy, now for 14 months.

I used benzo on and off for 3 years. sometimes I would take it for weeks and then stop without tapering off. I didn't know the dangers. my last benzo was in October 2022. I got a lot of complaints after this. especially eye complaints and head complaints. the doctor did not know what caused my complaints and blamed it on stress or burnout.

Who recognizes these complaints?
-twitching eyes when I close my eyes. my eyelids look like a pinball machine.
-when I close my eyes it feels as if my eyes are darting in all directions and spinning wildly
-visual dizziness
- painfully tired eyes
-when I close my eyes I see all kinds of light patterns shooting into my field of vision. my eyes seem to follow these patterns, making me dizzy. When i open mine eyes the patterns are not there anymore.

-a lot of pressure in the head, sometimes feeeling not clear.

Flashes light in eyes when closed

I have had these complaints for 14 months now every day 24/7. I Just have to close mine eyes.  I sleep very badly because of this. I have eye problems as soon as I close my eyes. It doesn't matter if it's afternoon morning evening. 

Also i have al lot of other symtoms but the eyes symtoms are realy horrible.

Edited by [...]

Hi @[...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I am very sorry to hear you are struggling with these eye problems. Unfortunately it's very common for symptoms to persist for quite some time after stopping benzo's. Your symptoms are also very common. Have you noticed any slight improvements, even just for a few minutes? It might help to keep a daily journal to track your symptoms. Often improvement can be very slow that we don't notice it over time. I don't have eye issues, mine are more related to my brain and cognitive functions. I hope those members who have similar issues as you, will share their experiences.

We're glad you found us, you're not alone.

I have the head pressure and eye problems. forgetting things constantly, I think its all the neurological damage the drug caused.

my head feels like its on fire sometimes

Hey @[...],

Welcome to BB!

Yep, I have the eye issues, too.  Especially the light patterns.  I have lots of stobeing and rippling effects when I close my eyes and when I'm in a dark room, I see them with my eyes open.  And some days so much pressure behind my eyes, I can't see straight.  It's like looking through water.

I'm really sorry your dealing with this, too.  It helps me to know that at least it's pretty common and I've read a lot of success stories where people had this and recovered from it.

Hi, thank you all for the responses. I went to several doctors with these complaints and they made me feel like I was crazy. It's nice that there is recognition. Does anyone know approximately how long this could take? it's very exhausting and hindering every day for 14 months now. I wish you all a speedy recovery.