Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How long in your system after last dose???

So I recently tapered completely off my valium.  Tomorrow will be 2 weeks!!  I know when you look it up it talks about 5 half lifes to clear your system.  But is that true if you have been on it for years?  Just curious if anyone has any insight on that.  

Lisa

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [[L...] said:

So I recently tapered completely off my valium.  Tomorrow will be 2 weeks!!  I know when you look it up it talks about 5 half lifes to clear your system.  But is that true if you have been on it for years?  Just curious if anyone has any insight on that.  

Lisa

Congrats.

I once read Valium is absorbed in fat tissue and bone marrow. It can stay there for months. 

• Like 1

It varies from person to person since we all have different rates of metabolism.

but yes, my personal experience with diazepam and what I’ve seen with many others is that it can take a few months to totally leave the fat and organ tissue.

Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Lisa

Congratulations and well done!

I think it's highly personal how long it stays in the system.. your metabolism and the amount of chemicals etc.

How long did you taper?

5 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Lisa

Well done @[Li...] that’s  great! 
I am at just day 7 without valium - after 5+yrs since being first given a benzo. Without any warnings or guidance I might add.

So interested in your question &  replies. I was advised by a medic against long term use that at a low constant dose it wasn’t really therapeutic but enough to keep a dependency going. So not really of benefit. This made me go for it after faffing about. But with trepidation. 

I was down to 2mg - 1mg morning 1mg at night. 
I reduced by 0.5 in Oct every month. Quite fast. 
i see your situation is 2mg. 

Edited by [Ka...]

@[Ka...] yes had a pretty good taper down to here and then got very destabilized. I was at 1.5 but have gone back up to 2 to try and find my footing. Not able to do much ATM. Trying to stay hopeful. Congrats on being off. 

6 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Lisa

the way I understand it, a dose stays in my system for 18-38 hours, something like that, and that's of clonazepam.  Mine actually stays in over 24 hours before I start feeling like I need my dose.  I don't know about after you jump off your final taper.  I would think it would be out within hours or days.

But if you are talking wd sxs, I think that's your body's actually recovery time from the use of the benzo.  Your body has to sort of take back control of your Brain Receptors.  Once the benzo wears out, then your body can do that.  That's not a very technical explanation, but it's how I see it, oregonlady :hug:PS I took 1 mg for 35 years.  I'm doing a very, slow taper so my body can get adapted to each taper I make. I hold for a month or more each time. Just what works for me in reducing wd sxs.

Edited by [or...]

1 hour ago, [[K...] said:

Thank you. It’s early days. Take it steady. 

Katrina,  how are you doing? How's your taper going? Been wondering how you've been since we last spoke.  You were going off correct?

I'm having a horrible wave, missed a dose on Purpose,  didn't bother me but the next day it was rough and today it's intense! Even though I can't take these anymore they still put me in withdrawal. The weather is affecting all of us, it could be from that I guess.

Just thought I'd ck in and see how your doing.

Hope you are doing well 

Ns

Thank you @[ns...] now off…..been just 7 days! Curious on this topic @[Li...] started re how long to clear system. 
Seen your posts elsewhere & very sorry you’re having such a tough time. Take care 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, [[n...] said:

Congratulations and well done!

I think it's highly personal how long it stays in the system.. your metabolism and the amount of chemicals etc.

How long did you taper?

I have been tapering for 4 and 1/2 years.

22 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

I have been tapering for 4 and 1/2 years.

Wow. That is a very long time Lisaloo! Dedication, what a burden it must have been.

What was your startingdose if I may ask?

44 minutes ago, [[H...] said:

Wow. That is a very long time Lisaloo! Dedication, what a burden it must have been.

44 minutes ago, [[H...] said:

Well...  20 years ago a doctor started me on 0.5 mgs of Klonopin.  Over the years that increased to 8 mgs a day.  I started working with a new doctor about 4 years ago that has overseen my tapper and when I got to 1 mg of K we switched to 30 mgs of Valium.  And I have been tapering that.  In November I accidently figured out that cold plunges helps me symptoms drastically and have been using that to help manage everything.  I jumped 2 weeks ago from a dosage of 0.25 mgs.  It has been a journey no doubt.

48 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Well...  20 years ago a doctor started me on 0.5 mgs of Klonopin.  Over the years that increased to 8 mgs a day.  I started working with a new doctor about 4 years ago that has overseen my tapper and when I got to 1 mg of K we switched to 30 mgs of Valium.  And I have been tapering that.  In November I accidently figured out that cold plunges helps me symptoms drastically and have been using that to help manage everything.  I jumped 2 weeks ago from a dosage of 0.25 mgs.  It has been a journey no doubt.

1K to 30V? Isn't that more like 20V. Why did your dr decide to ad 10 more V? 

Cold plunges, like Wim Hof Method? Interesting. I will keep that in mind for sure!

13 minutes ago, [[H...] said:

1K to 30V? Isn't that more like 20V. Why did your dr decide to ad 10 more V? 

Cold plunges, like Wim Hof Method? Interesting. I will keep that in mind for sure!

Cold plunge (hydrotherapy) has been around for a very long time.  Here recently it has popped up everywhere with people following and see posts from Gary Brecka and other people. When I can't cold plunge I do cold or contrast showers at home. I'm not sure about the Wim Hof Method, I'll have to look at that up.  We originally swapped to 20 mg of V but my body was all wacky and so we increased to dosage to figure out the mgs of V that my body felt was equivalent to the 1 mg of K.  

• Like 1

Kartrina, excellent! Congrats!

Glad to hear this! So your feeling ok? I missed a little dose abd it affected me later. Gonna have to take it slow I guess. Still having those odd symptoms but I guess it all comes with it. Everyone is different! 

Hopeful fir your success in a complete withdrswl with no more symptoms.!

Ns

On 12/01/2024 at 18:10, [[K...] said:

Thank you @[ns...] now off…..been just 7 days! Curious on this topic @[Li...] started re how long to clear system. 
Seen your posts elsewhere & very sorry you’re having such a tough time. Take care 

Curious how things are going.  Wishing u the best outcome!  I am gett8ng closer to my final dose.  Like some inspiration 🙏🤗

• Like 1

Hello @[Kh...] thank you. I think I read at low dose there is not much benefit remaining from the benzo. I guess a lot depends on length of time taken & cumulative effect.

I am so angry (with system/prescribers) that I have now come off diazepam myself & without medical input. Sheer utter willpower. 
I am no expert & it’s new territory. No idea what to expect. Still have burning mouth/tongue syndrome I posted about that elsewhere. It’s new & arose since first reduction in Oct 2023 - I see others have this issue. 

I would say if you want to do it you will do so keep it up & take care 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Hello @[Kh...] thank you. I think I read at low dose there is not much benefit remaining from the benzo. I guess a lot depends on length of time taken & cumulative effect.

I am so angry (with system/prescribers) that I have now come off diazepam myself & without medical input. Sheer utter willpower. 
I am no expert & it’s new territory. No idea what to expect. Still have burning mouth/tongue syndrome I posted about that elsewhere. It’s new & arose since first reduction in Oct 2023 - I see others have this issue. 

I would say if you want to do it you will do so keep it up & take care 

Thanks for your input.  Sorry if I asked before…at what dose did u quit.  I just went to 1.5mg Valium.  Really looking to jump in 2-3 weeks time.  Feeling crappy nonetheless, tinnitus and stiff muscles have been my problems.   Keep us posted on your progress.  Wishing u the best 🙏

1.5 mg V still sounds like a lot. Ok, technically it is not, but if you could get in down to 0.5 it may be better? You are already having a bad time which may get worse if you jump too soon. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Thanks for your input.  Sorry if I asked before…at what dose did u quit.  I just went to 1.5mg Valium.  Really looking to jump in 2-3 weeks time.  Feeling crappy nonetheless, tinnitus and stiff muscles have been my problems.   Keep us posted on your progress.  Wishing u the best 🙏

No problem. I was on 2mg valium daily. I broke tablet into 4. My prescriber wouldn’t issue liquid & didn’t agree with my wish to taper. 

1 did it like this reducing each month to: 

4 Oct 1.5mg daily - 1mg morning 0.5mg night

4 Nov 1.0mg daily 0.5mg - morning & night 

4 Dec 0.5mg daily - morning 

4 Jan 0mg

no science as such just pushed on to do it!
i visualised the slow way my system might respond & adjust. I got a burning  mouth syndrome but nothing else too bad so far. Early days. 

Hoping this will help you & that you can work out a manageable plan. 

sorry about tinnitus etc & wishing you well 

• Like 2