Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

So many weird things going on, need advice please

Hi guys. I’m back. I ended up updosing like my psychiatrist suggested about two weeks ago? I got a lot of relief. I stopped sweating profusely, I started to function better, I didn’t feel tingling or twitching as much, I was able to sleep through the night and go back to sleep. I didn’t mind being alone when my fiancé left for work. It was great. 

For the past almost week now, the symptoms have been unfortunately coming back. I’m experiencing rebound anxiety and get panicky when my fiancé leaves again. I’ve been getting sweaty fits again. I’ve been twitching/having pins and needles/and “brain zaps.” My eyes will twitch randomly. I have been drooling randomly. My oxygen levels have been concerning me. Throughout the day it’s typically 91-95 the highest and at night it seems to drop to 86 the lowest. Before the CT withdrawal my oxygen was 96 at the lowest. I’ve been quite short of breath. Has anyone else experienced lowering oxygen while going through this? I’m still taking the 15 mg. 5mg at 11:00 AM and 10 mg at 8:00 PM. 

I tell my counselor and psychiatrist but they say it’s probably vitamin issues or neurological and say “it can’t be withdrawal.” I got my levels checked last month when this started and they were normal. I’ve never had any neurological issues in my life and was normal before the benzo withdrawal. Why do these doctors keep denying it’s withdrawal when we have all of the symptoms??

Anyways, I’m wondering if I’m possibly in tolerance withdrawal since the symptoms are coming back again while being on the 15 mg dose. Thank you to all who took their time out of their day/night to read and respond. :) 

Hey @[an...],

I am so sorry that this is happening.  It sounds like you may be in tolerance, since you had some relief a couple weeks ago, but not now. 

Is there a log of the oxygen readings?   If not, if it were me, I would start taking pictures of the oxygen readings, along with a note on the date and time, and take them to a GP or PCP.  Regardless of the cause, this is something that I would think any doctor worth their salt should be addressing.  

Just out of curiosity, since they have decided it can't be withdrawal (which is ridiculous!), what do your psychiatrist and counselor say about why the meds are no longer working again?  

• Like 4

Hi @[Bu...] thank you for replying. I’m so discouraged that this is happening. I wish the relief would’ve lasted longer. Things seemed to be turning around and it felt so good.

That sounds like a good idea. I will start doing that. It really scares me to sleep as my oxygen gets in the 80’s and I’m worried I won’t wake up or won’t fall asleep. I also get shortness of breath while talking. It eased up when I first updosed but now it’s like I’m back to 5mg while still on the 15mg. 

As far as what they say, they say that it has to be something vitamin related or neurological but I have never had any neurological issues like the twitching etc. before until the withdrawal of the diazepam. I also recently got my electrolytes and vitamins checked and they were fine so I know it’s related to the withdrawal. They also say it’s just anxiety and stress symptoms. Just really sad about this and kept crying today. Don’t know which direction to turn to anymore. 

Edited by [an...]

@[an...]

Oh, I'm sorry.  This is such a difficult process.  I think getting the oxygen levels checked out/monitored is a good thing to do next.  As for the rest, I think some of us just have a harder time getting off this stuff, no matter how slow we go.  I know I did.

• Like 1

Hello @[an...],

It certainly sounds like you’ve reached tolerance. It can happen quickly, it did for me. I would certainly make the doctor aware of your pulse oxygen levels. Whether it’s due to withdrawal or not, it should be monitored. 

• Like 3

Hi @[pi...] thanks for your response. When you reached tolerance, did you updose more or did you have no choice but to taper off? How was the tapering process for you symptoms wise? Sorry for all of the questions. I am currently alone and will be for the next seven hours, so I’m quite anxious and have nobody to talk to. 

Should I make an appointment with my GP for the oxygen or tell my psychiatrist? I think he said that if the benzo still isn’t working he’s thinking of sending me to psychiatric hospital so they can monitor me. Thank you once again.

• Sad 1

Update- I’m getting sent to a stabilization center where they said they will give me a med that isn’t a sedative so I’m worried they’re going to CT me or rapid taper me. Case worker said they’ll give me other meds. Great. Hope I come out of this alive. It’s a process to come down from 15 mg Valium and I’m physically dependent not addicted. So scared. It’s not a psychiatric hospital so if I don’t feel comfortable could I ask to leave? I also don’t want to take anything they’re going to put “in place” of my diazepam. I don’t wanna die. I miss my fiancé and kids already. I haven’t eaten all day. I’m on my way to the facility now. Sigh. Balling my eyes out. 

Update- I left. They let me. Apparently I was assigned an addiction doctor. The addiction doctor wanted to detox me tonight. They didn’t even carry diazepam and asked if I brought my own meds which I didn’t as I didn’t have any time to grab anything from home. The doctor was going to put me on a drug used for alcoholism withdrawal (forgot what it was called), switch my diazepam to lorazepam, while I’m still taking my sertraline and lisinopril. I didn’t feel comfortable with any of it at all. Tomorrow I won’t have any Valium because my pharmacy is filling my prescription one day late. Sigh. What a night. I know it’s a no no to get detoxed when you’re in dependency and not addicted. I know they’re similar but not the same exactly. Still having symptoms and low oxygen but can’t wait to try to sleep tonight. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, [[a...] said:

Update- I left. They let me. Apparently I was assigned an addiction doctor. The addiction doctor wanted to detox me tonight. They didn’t even carry diazepam and asked if I brought my own meds which I didn’t as I didn’t have any time to grab anything from home. The doctor was going to put me on a drug used for alcoholism withdrawal (forgot what it was called), switch my diazepam to lorazepam, while I’m still taking my sertraline and lisinopril. I didn’t feel comfortable with any of it at all. Tomorrow I won’t have any Valium because my pharmacy is filling my prescription one day late. Sigh. What a night. I know it’s a no no to get detoxed when you’re in dependency and not addicted. I know they’re similar but not the same exactly. Still having symptoms and low oxygen but can’t wait to try to sleep 

Hope you will sleep tonight. You are in a good place just try to relax and trust your doctor. Lorazepam is good for sleeping. 

Hugs from a buddies. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, [[a...] said:

Update- I left. They let me. Apparently I was assigned an addiction doctor. The addiction doctor wanted to detox me tonight. They didn’t even carry diazepam and asked if I brought my own meds which I didn’t as I didn’t have any time to grab anything from home. The doctor was going to put me on a drug used for alcoholism withdrawal (forgot what it was called), switch my diazepam to lorazepam, while I’m still taking my sertraline and lisinopril. I didn’t feel comfortable with any of it at all. Tomorrow I won’t have any Valium because my pharmacy is filling my prescription one day late. Sigh. What a night. I know it’s a no no to get detoxed when you’re in dependency and not addicted. I know they’re similar but not the same exactly. Still having symptoms and low oxygen but can’t wait to try to sleep tonight. 

I’m very glad you were proactive about your health. Too many places like this really do not understand how to safely taper people off benzos, you are very correct, this is a physical dependency, not addiction.

How are you today?

• Like 3

@[pi...] Thank you. I was just too afraid of the process. I’m not feeling well at the moment as my fiancé and kids just left for work and school and at this time in the morning I am at my worst (sweaty palms, heightened anxiety, twitches, low oxygen, not being able to fall asleep.) Currently feeling pins and needles and twitching. Afraid to go back to sleep. One thing in particular that I’m worried about is I’m going to be alone all day today and my pharmacy wouldn’t refill my diazepam prescription yesterday. They said it would be ready Saturday but I ran out Thursday so I’m going on no meds today until Saturday. I hope I’ll be okay. Thank you for checking in on me. :) 

14 minutes ago, [[a...] said:

@[pi...] Thank you. I was just too afraid of the process. I’m not feeling well at the moment as my fiancé and kids just left for work and school and at this time in the morning I am at my worst (sweaty palms, heightened anxiety, twitches, low oxygen, not being able to fall asleep.) Currently feeling pins and needles and twitching. Afraid to go back to sleep. One thing in particular that I’m worried about is I’m going to be alone all day today and my pharmacy wouldn’t refill my diazepam prescription yesterday. They said it would be ready Saturday but I ran out Thursday so I’m going on no meds today until Saturday. I hope I’ll be okay. Thank you for checking in on me. :) 

Hello @[an...],

While diazepam does have a long half life and you maybe fine waiting until tomorrow, stopping any benzo suddenly is not a good plan. Can you call your doctor and see if they can provide you enough to carry over until you get the new prescription? Additionally, some pharmacists understand this situation and will provide the med until the script is ready.

• Like 1

@[pi...] unfortunately I cannot call my psychiatrist as I don’t have his phone number, only the facilities number and they usually just email him. He doesn’t really respond until the next day. If I were to go to my GP for a prescription, I wouldn’t be able to get the ones I need tomorrow because she prescribed me a little bridge. It’s ridiculous. 

I’m going to have to either call or go there in person and let them know the situation. I hope it’s not a fight. (Update: my mom called for me and they will have the med ready within the hour, thank goodness!) 

Edited by [an...]
  • Like 1

On 10/01/2024 at 21:36, [[a...] said:

Don’t know which direction to turn to anymore. 

So sorry for how you are feeling and I empathize immensely. I am in the same boat - no one knows what to do.  For me, my blood pressure gets very low and my heart rate fast..I have a log for my next appointment, including what I have eaten and what symptoms I am experiencing.  When I fall asleep it seems I jolt awake in a panic.  The twitching (Full body) started for me a few days ago.  I am seeing a neurologist though;  I got a private MRI and it showed a polyp on paranasal cavity and white matter lesions!  I also had h-pylori with gastritis and was treated with an aggressive course of 4 antibiotics which apparently carries some terrible psychological side effects.  So I am wondering if that made my symptoms worse.  My Psch tried to get me to increase as well but I refused.  They are just not aware of tolerance and withdrawals in Benzos, just telling me I am on a small dose and to take it for life!!!  I am scared to brain damage is permanent.  I have not been out in over 6 months, I certainly feel for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, [[a...] said:

@[pi...] unfortunately I cannot call my psychiatrist as I don’t have his phone number, only the facilities number and they usually just email him. He doesn’t really respond until the next day. If I were to go to my GP for a prescription, I wouldn’t be able to get the ones I need tomorrow because she prescribed me a little bridge. It’s ridiculous. 

I’m going to have to either call or go there in person and let them know the situation. I hope it’s not a fight. (Update: my mom called for me and they will have the med ready within the hour, thank goodness!) 

That’s very good news. These days it is important to be proactive about our health. 

• Like 1

The shortness of breath and low oxygen is definitely withdrawal.. I am going through the same thing. Never had a problem until benzo taper. It is freaking me out because my oxygen is dropping into the 80's as soon as I sit down and stop doing what I am doing it goes back up. Extremely weak and exhausted most of the time.