Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Pain is starting to come back

Back in March I developed a rare condition called Atypical Facial Pain after a dental procedure (most likely Post Traumatic Trigeminal Neuropathy or Persistent Idiopathic Facial Pain), either way it’s a type of rare neuropathy in the face, very similar to phantom limb pain where even though things have healed the brain keeps receiving pain signals.

This is a very debilitating type of pain, and on a whim i took Xanax, which brought the pain from a 10 to about a 2 or 3. I didn’t know at the time that benzos are fast acting anticonvulsants, but eventually learned that neuropathy is often treated with anticonvulsants. 

Anyways, I thought the pain was getting better, so I started tapering about a month ago, and now the pain seems to be coming back. It’s very uncomfortable and distracting. To make matters worse I am tapering off Valium, which is somewhat debilitating in its own way due to the lack of motivation and sedation I experience from it (been taking it since the summer, and the side fx have not eased up). 

I’m also tapering at a very slow pace (5% cuts every 4 weeks). 

With that being said, what would you do? Hold the taper until i found another med that might work (no guarantees there), or just stay on benzos?

If i stay on benzos, i could hit tolerance withdrawal.

If i continue to taper, the pain may continue to get worse to the point of debilitation, like it was back in March when i was bed ridden. 

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Would be really interesting in hearing your opinions.

Thanks