Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

18 years on clonazepam

Hi there,

Im going through one of the most hardest journeys in my life ive been off clonazepam know for 6 months using Diazepam instead, ( my dose rate was high 4mg day)Im still experiencing withdraws most Nausea . I have regular 2 week appointments with my doctor and monthly with a mental health nurse, I see some folk are dropping the dosages  and not just stopping it completely and weaning off that was, I stopped it and went cold turkey so to speak, taking Diazepam instead and am weaning down on the diazepam . I started with 25 mg in the morning and 20 mg at night . I have got down to 8.5mg in the morning and 7mg at night, but the nausea is something terrible. Im also just started taking a homeopathy remedy to help called cocculus. My doctor put me on anti nausea medication at the time of me coming off clonazepam and also take medication to prevent the migraines. I see quite a few folk where weaned of this drug instead of like me going cold turkey and was wondering is that the better way of doing it, life is hard at the present fighting nausea everyday, I cry a lot with frustration, I only took what the doctors prescribed, I did not misuse the drug, and the I found out when i came off it it was meant to be used for a short time and I had been taking it for 18 years, any advise would be appreciated

Hello @[ke...],welcome to BenzoBuddies,

It sounds like you stopped the Clonazepam abruptly instead of doing a slow transition to the Diazepam?  It also looks like you may have been underdosed, I see the equivalency range is around 60 mgs to 4 mgs of Clonazepam?

I’m very sorry to hear about your nausea, this is pretty common for a lot of us, did you have it when taking the Clonazepam? 

How often are you dosing and how often are you reducing and by what?  We generally recommend reducing by about 5-10% of your dose every couple of weeks but relying on your symptoms to guide you is a better way to go, this can hopefully keep you functioning.

Pamster

Hi Kellie, I hear you.  20 years for me on Clonazepam...google wasn't a bit hit then!  I was Cold Turkeyed at 2 different times and then put back on.  Looking back, what I went through then is nothing compared to what I am dealing with right now while I am still taking the meds.  I look back and wish I had stayed of either of those times, as insomnia and anxiety were the only symptoms I had then.  Now third time, and I am still taking them, I have every horrible symptom you can imagine.  I can do nothing, feel nothing and sit around all day either crying, begging for it all to end, or researching everything I can about Benzo's, Symptoms and the body.   I did notice, however that my nausea, depersonalization and derealization was impacted by my blood pressure.  I started monitoring my BP and noticed that my norm had become 80-90s/40-50s with heart rate of 110-113.  My nausea, headaches, dp/dr was also worse at these times.  I am keeping an eye on that.  In addition, I am pretty sure my iron is low again, was always anemic, so I am getting tests done to check that.  Wishing you luck.  Getting of them means you have won half the battle.  Good Luck :)

Hi Darlene im so sorry for what you are going through it really is bad that you get given this drug and its only meant for a short time and we are given them for such a long period. Thank you for you advise wishing you all the best and chat with me at any time. My doctor advised me this week to do blood tests so yes I will certainly do that. Once again i so feel for you and what you are going through Kind Regards Kellie

• Like 1

8 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Hello @[ke...],welcome to BenzoBuddies,

It sounds like you stopped the Clonazepam abruptly instead of doing a slow transition to the Diazepam?  It also looks like you may have been underdosed, I see the equivalency range is around 60 mgs to 4 mgs of Clonazepam?

I’m very sorry to hear about your nausea, this is pretty common for a lot of us, did you have it when taking the Clonazepam? 

How often are you dosing and how often are you reducing and by what?  We generally recommend reducing by about 5-10% of your dose every couple of weeks but relying on your symptoms to guide you is a better way to go, this can hopefully keep you functioning.

Pamster

High Pamster thank you for your reply. The Doctors told me that the clonazepam where putting plaster over my anti depressants so it was cold turkey no weaning just straight on Diazepam. I did not have any nausea when taking the clonazepam. My dose of diazepam was 25mg in the morning and  20mg at night. Over the past six months working with my doctor have it down to 8.5mg in the morning and 7mg at night and as you mentioned it is all down to my symptoms. The nausea is very debilitating at times i can only be up for about 10 minutes and then have to lie down or i feel like im going to pass out. The anti nausea medication has been increased so i fell a bit better, but still can so debilitating, its so frustrating, everyone tells me im doing so well...... but at times i just cry and cry wondering when its all going to end, as before i was an up and go person, now at times im bed ridden and start to loose hope that im going to be able to continue....to keep this up.....but keep telling myself you have to do this and there will be light at the end of the tunnel, I was thinking of chatting to my doctor in regards to weaning me slowly  instead of cold turkey, but its been 6 months now so i probably should just continue with what im doing at present much appreciated for your response to my post

Kind Regards kellie

That nausea sounds awful, I wonder if it’s a reaction to the Valium or is you’re tapering too fast?  Many members need to slow down towards the end of their taper, do you feel that could help with the nausea?  

I know it’s difficult to see improvement because this process makes us feel so bad about ourselves but maybe those people who tell you how well you’re doing can see what you can’t, I hope so.  

My nassau was really hard to and I still have it. Like you I was subscribed with a nassau medicine most used by cancer patients that go through rough times. I doesn't help much.

Welcome to benzobuddies :balloon:

Hi Pampster I was thinking off that my self my doctor did up it a bit the other week but only by 1.5mg im tempted to up it myself but going to get blood tests first

Hi Buddie thanks for the welcome, im also on Homeopathy medication and that has helped, i managed to do the shopping with out wanting to pass out I take 4 drops 3 times a day in-between my nausea meds its called cocculus 30c my homeopathy nurse is also looking into some other meds for me that may help im taking to her on Monday cheers kellie

16 hours ago, [[k...] said:

but at times i just cry and cry wondering when its all going to end, as before i was an up and go person, now at times im bed ridden and start to loose hope

I certainly know this feeling.  Right now the only thing keeping me out of bed, and stopping the negative and intrusive thoughts is this forum. (I might get kicked out for overposting lol) I not sure how much this little body can take.  I was so outgoing, loved helping others and now am just a shell.  There HAS to be a reason for this, I keep telling myself, there just has to be.  I am doing a lot of research on the brain and what medications do what, so I am learning something.  My Psychiatrist is upsetting me saying the DP/DR is a good thing it's protecting me from trauma.  The only trauma I have is the trauma from this medication.  But he is busy with getting another potent addictive drug approved so I can't count on him.  I have to go it alone with some advice on how to proceed from fellow community members here :)  Thank you for being there with your offer to chat.  Likewise feel free to chat with me at anytime as well.  Chatting here helps a lot in keeping me distracted.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, [[k...] said:

Hi Pampster I was thinking off that my self my doctor did up it a bit the other week but only by 1.5mg im tempted to up it myself but going to get blood tests first

I’m not sure what you mean, did your doctor raise your diazepam dose? 

33 minutes ago, [[k...] said:

yes by 3/4 of a 2mg tablet

I guess that didn’t provide any relief?  

I believe your doctor did you a disservice by not crossing you over to Valium slowly, it can take awhile for it to build up, leaving you without adequate coverage..  Plus, I think you were not crossed to an equivalent dose, so you’ve been at a deficit since then. 

What blood tests are you getting and will your doctor agree to raise your dose if you feel it’s necessary?

This is what i though, and no it has not helped so I have increased it again my self to 9mg at night and 9mg in the morning, she doest hassle me for doing so if i feel the need we talk every 2 weeks if i still feel nausea im going to up the dose I have more than plenty pills, I have to do it to help my self and she understands that, so we will see how we go..... thanks Pamster its been very helpful talking with you cheers kellie

I’ve seen members struggle like you are, some will make a decision to go up in dose until they feel somewhat stable, then they’ll hold that for a bit and begin to taper and it seems to go well.  Professor Ashton said its a good idea to begin a taper from a stable place.

How long ago did you stop the Clonazepam?